how to voice input?

Hi, I have just got my new 730, which I have updated with all the latest bits'n'piecse, all seems OK, but I can't input voice addresses. I have followed the instructions, but when I press either the "spoken address" or 'spoken address(dialogue) button, I go to the keyboard, and the lower "lips" button-next to "back" is NOT greyed out, but the top right corner lips 1/4 circle IS greyed out, and I cannot enter any voice inputs! When I press the bottom "lips" button it changes orange briefly, and sometimes I hear a beep, and the cursor flashes next to "city" field, but nothing else seems to happen. What am I doing wrong? It should be straight forward I would think. Thanks

Last edited:
Hi, I have just got my new 730, which I have updated with all the latest bits'n'piecse, all seems OK, but I can't input voice addresses. I have followed the instructions, but when I press either the "spoken address" or 'spoken address(dialogue) button, I go to the keyboard, and the lower "lips" button-next to "back" is NOT greyed out, but the top right corner lips 1/4 circle IS greyed out, and I cannot enter any voice inputs! When I pree the bottom "lips" button it changes orange briefly, and sometimes I hear a beep, and the cursor flashes next to "city" field, but nothing else seems to happen. What am I doing wrong? It should be straight forward I would think. Thanks

May I ask what word you meant with the word 'pree' in the above quote? Also, what map version do you have and what application version?

To see the application version, tap the satellite bars. Then, tap the version number to see the map version and build installed.

That's what I thought....

Try a pin reset and try the process again. Don't be too close or too far from the microphone when you speak to the unit and try to make sure there is no ambient noise.

I don't know whether this is a factor but.....

For that map level (815) you need at least application level 8.3.

Try this.....

Make a full backup of your unit's contents. Use Explorer, not home, and ensure hidden files and folders are showing. Connect to Home and you should be offered application 8.302. Accept it, dl and install. Not only is it needed for the functionality of 815 maps to work (IQ2 routing) but it helps greatly with the stuttering issue some have experienced.

Now, once the new application is installed, make ANOTHER backup and then try the VR (voice recognition) process again.

Hi, again, I have done a pin reset, after I backed up as you suggested(which is in addition to the original tomtom home backup I did when I first connected the tomtom), but there is NO update available when I then connected to Home, and even if I check for updates manually there are still none, and the problem remains. Surely it can't be this hard, or am I very stupid?? Frustrating, to say the least. Thanks .

Ask a Question