No voice input

I am confused. I just bought a new 630 but cannot get the voice input to work. When I go to "Navigate to..." and select "Address" the next screen to appear does not highlight the "spoken address" or "spoken address (dialog)", they remain gray. What am I dong wrong? Thanks in advance!

I would treat dhn's answer as a very strong clue as to what is wrong - select a computer voice and try it again as it certainly won't work without such a selection - Mike

I would treat dhn's answer as a very strong clue as to what is wrong - select a computer voice and try it again as it certainly won't work without such a selection - Mike

Okay, I changed the voice selection from female human to female computer but the spoken address icons still remain gray, unable to select them.

Try a reset on the unit and then see if the spoken address works. Also, don't try this using Home as the emulator (operate my unit) won't work for computer voices. You have to do it on the unit itself.

Do you have a support_asr.dat text file with nothing in it except a 1, no quotes, no spaces, no carriage returns and this file needs to be put in the asr folder. Again, the extension is .dat, not .txt.

Do you have a support_asr.dat text file with nothing in it except a 1, no quotes, no spaces, no carriage returns and this file needs to be put in the asr folder. Again, the extension is .dat, not .txt.

You have totally lost me here. I just bought this unit three days ago and have no idea how to do what you are saying.

I'm attaching a file. Save it somewhere on your computer (desktop? temp folder?) and rename it from the existing support_asr.txt to support_asr.dat

Then......use Explorer to copy it to the asr folder on your unit.

Attachments

• support_asr.txt
    1 bytes · Views: 272
I'm attaching a file. Save it somewhere on your computer (desktop? temp folder?) and rename it from the existing support_asr.txt to support_asr.dat

Then......use Explorer to copy it to the asr folder on your unit.

I really appreciate all your help but I have no idea of how to do what you say needs to be done. I saved the file to my documents (it appears to be just a number 1) but do not know how to rename it to the support deal.

1. Use Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.
2. Right click on the file where you have saved it. One menu option will be 'rename'. Select that and rename the file support_asr.dat
3. Connect your unit to the computer but do NOT start Home.
4. Again, using Explorer, highlight the (renamed) file and right click for the 'copy' option. Select that.
5. Use Explorer to highlight the asr folder on the unit. Right click the folder and select 'paste'.

If you see a screen asking you to overwrite an existing support_asr.dat file, then all this was for nothing as you do have the file in that folder.

1. Use Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.
2. Right click on the file where you have saved it. One menu option will be 'rename'. Select that and rename the file support_asr.dat
3. Connect your unit to the computer but do NOT start Home.
4. Again, using Explorer, highlight the (renamed) file and right click for the 'copy' option. Select that.
5. Use Explorer to highlight the asr folder on the unit. Right click the folder and select 'paste'.

If you see a screen asking you to overwrite an existing support_asr.dat file, then all this was for nothing as you do have the file in that folder.

I did this and it did read if I wanted to overwrite. However the existing file is 4 bytes and the file you gave me is only 1 byte. Should I go ahead and overwrite it?

Use Explorer to confirm you DO have a bunch of cspechXX.dat files in your USA_Canada map folder where XX represents each state (such as AK, AL, etc. as well as CAN (for Canada) You should have over 50 of these files in that map folder.

Use Explorer to confirm you DO have a bunch of cspechXX.dat files in your USA_Canada map folder where XX represents each state (such as AK, AL, etc. as well as CAN (for Canada) You should have over 50 of these files in that map folder.

Thanks again, I'll check this first thing tomorrow morning since I forgot to bring the unit home from work today.

I have the cspeech files, all of them it appears. However, they are not "cspeechXX.", they are "cspeech_", i.e., cspeech_TX.dat

Yes, that is correct.

Try this...do a manual Navigate to-->Select State, then City, then street, then number. Once done, is there VR available?

Guys, could it possibly be as easy as not having a state selected? You get this information on the tomtom support website for the 740 but not for the 630. (Source)

I hope this might help.

EDIT:
Sorry dhn, I didn't realize you basically suggested the same thing.

Question

Assisted Speech Recognition (ASR) icon grayed-out

Answer

If you have not set your State, you will see the following screen after selecting Navigate To...

2391-1.gif

To resolve this issue, first tap on Street and house number.

1. Tap on the country icon (USA) to choose your State
2. Tap on your State (or the State you are navigating to).

2391-2.gif

2391-5.gif

ASR can now be accessed in the Navigate to... menu:​

And also when entering your destination:

2391-4.gif

2391-7.gif

Last edited:

Ask a Question