Voice Input not working

TomTom Model(s)
510 and 920T
For some reason I can input directions with voice recognition. The little box with the lips when I go into voice input is grayed out. Can someone help me?

that happened with my first device (which went back due to flaky audio out)
i think that I backed up my device using Tomtom home and lost my voice input.
Then I either did a reset or restored it with the backup i had just made and got back my voice input.

this was on the 920T

my new device seems to be working fine, so far!

to get voice try this

For some reason I can input directions with voice recognition. The little box with the lips when I go into voice input is grayed out. Can someone help me?

Try to soft boot 3 times in a row go get rid of the memory problem that sometimes stops voice imputs.

I have tested the voice input and I have to say it works pretty well even with the unit mounted on the windshield a little bit away as of having it on your dash closer to you.

Try to soft boot 3 times in a row go get rid of the memory problem that sometimes stops voice imputs.
what is a soft reboot? is that shutting it down via the power button and not the reset button?

My voice input is not grayed out but when the TomTom is "listening," it doesn't recognize voice input. It's as if the microphone is broken.

Last edited:
My voice recognition also stopped after yesterdays tomtom home software update. haven't called tomtom support yet,hope they can HELP.

This is disturbing......you're now the 3rd today I've seen who dl the new firmware and has this problem.

920's Taking a Road Trip

This is disturbing......you're now the 3rd today I've seen who dl the new firmware and has this problem.

I called tt tech support today they gave me a RMA #, my 920 is boxed up sitting at FedEx-Kinko's now and headed for Fort Worth monday! It's INSURED hope it doesn't get lost...........:D :D

Firmware 7.480 on 920T

I have the same problem of no voice recognition with the new firmware. I sent in a support email to see if there is a quick fix. I don't think we should have to send our units in since it is obviously related to the new firmware. The last time I sent in an email to TT support I had a response within a day so I will post what they respond to me when they do.

Add another to the list.
My 920T was working fine until I updated it yesterday. Now the Voice Command is greyed out. I have tried multiple resets (both from the button on the bottom, and the menu) with no success. When I go to the spoken address screens, I can tap in address info, but the lips are greyed out and do not respond.

Are OLDER FIRMWARE versions archived anywhere - or is this entirely handled by TT Home. Or can one just copy my ORIGINAL BACKUP (when I first purchased) file set to the device?

Or have they actually changed the "operating" system or method that boots the darn device?

Official TOMTOM answer about firmware 7.480

"Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding the 7.480 application version. My goal is to provide you with an exceptional customer experience, and I hope to achieve it.

We are aware of the voice recognition issue caused by this update and are working on a fix for it. A new update should be released through TomTom HOME next week (tentatively March 25) that will fix this issue."

I emailed them yesturday so it was a pretty quick response again. Hopefully they stand to this and have an update ready...

Just spoke to tech support and they said that the update to fix the voice input problem won't be out until next week. Just got the unit yesterday. So after 1 day my voice input doesn't work and they sent me dead batteries for my remote. Not a very good first impression I must say.

Ask a Question