Voice Input not working

Just got my Go 920 and happily found this forum to explain why the VR feature stopped working and thankfully, the fix. After much searching, I found the suggested fix but no instructions, so thought it might help others with what worked for me. Here are the steps I took to fix the problem:

-Download the 7.221 version from http://www.oldboy.me.uk/TomTomUpdates/ Download is a zip file, extract the file to your computer.
- Copy only the contents of the ASR directory to the ASR directory on your TomTom (answer "Yes" to "Overwrite existing files" prompt). As a precaution, you may want to create a backup of the TomTom first.
- Disconnect device from computer, TomTom started up normally and VR feature once again works.

By copying only the files in the ASR directory, the TomTom still shows version as 7.480.
This fix seemed to work until I tried to enter the building number. It accepts the first number and then states 'not recognized' for any numbers spoken after that. If I missed something in the process please let me know. Thanks.

Just got my Go 920 and happily found this forum to explain why the VR feature stopped working and thankfully, the fix. After much searching, I found the suggested fix but no instructions, so thought it might help others with what worked for me. Here are the steps I took to fix the problem:

-Download the 7.221 version from http://www.oldboy.me.uk/TomTomUpdates/ Download is a zip file, extract the file to your computer.
- Copy only the contents of the ASR directory to the ASR directory on your TomTom (answer "Yes" to "Overwrite existing files" prompt). As a precaution, you may want to create a backup of the TomTom first.
- Disconnect device from computer, TomTom started up normally and VR feature once again works.

By copying only the files in the ASR directory, the TomTom still shows version as 7.480.

How come I do not have ASR directory in my tomtom directory? are you saying that create one in tomtom directory?

This fix seemed to work until I tried to enter the building number. It accepts the first number and then states 'not recognized' for any numbers spoken after that. If I missed something in the process please let me know. Thanks.

Do you by chance have the 7.15 map? The reason I ask is that someone discovered that VR works (again) all the way through with a 7.10 map but has the problems you have with a 7.15 map.

I spoke with Tomtom in the States with regards to the VR disappearance. He said they did have a fix for it a few days ago but then they discovered another bug. He said the next fix is due in about 2 days...

Krzy - TT support told me the same thing... but then again they have been telling me that all week long...

My voice stopped working also..... Need help... I do not know how to install fixes and stuff like the,, i have not any clue how to fix this....:confused: need help... maybe a walk through...

Well here we are the end of the week and still no update to fix the bugs in the latest firmware. I am coming to the conclusion that I should have listened to my friend's advice and bought a Garmin. I will give it until the weekend and if nothing by then I will ship this back and get a Garmin. Too many issues for me.

Does anyone know of any other gps units with a remote control. I dont think I can live without it(remote), but dont know how much longer I can live with the 920.

Just to clear up any confusion (and possibly saving you from scuttling the repair altogether), make sure you COPY the files from the 7.221 ASR directory, then PASTE them into the (unmolested) 7.480 ASR directory on the TomTom. I cleared the TomTom's 7.480 ASR directory first, before copying the old files over, and SR died after it asked, "Please state street." Restoring the 7.480 ASR files, Then restoring the 7.221 files corrected the problem.

Franko

Do you by chance have the 7.15 map? The reason I ask is that someone discovered that VR works (again) all the way through with a 7.10 map but has the problems you have with a 7.15 map.

Thanks for a reply. The maps are version 7.10.1576.

I talked to TomTom support again. They first act surprised when you state the problem but when pressed quickly admit to it and chant the mantra that the fix is on the way. Sigh!

I just got off the phone with TT Customer Support and was now told that they expect a fix my the middle of NEXT week, but it could be sooner. I'm not certain what all of that means, but there you have it.

I just got off the phone with TT Customer Support and was now told that they expect a fix my the middle of NEXT week, but it could be sooner. I'm not certain what all of that means, but there you have it.

I was talking to TT support on Wendsday and the rep said that there was supposed to be an updated Applacation coming out by today (Friday ) but more than likely it would be Monday. I loged onto home this morning about
10:00 Am CT and there was a new applacation I downloaded it to my internal memory and rebooted the unit as instructed but still no VR.
I went back to home and the download had been taken off the site. so the bug can't be worked out just yet.

I for one won't be running out to get another brand of GPS I have all redy went through that with a Magellan and from what I see there is buggs with all of them.

I personaly think this will be worked out shortly but as they say patience is a virtue.

I agree with GarCor that we need to be a bit patient. I am content with my TomTom, as TeleAtlas at least has my six year old development on their maps, unlike Navteq, which does not. It's just a bit ironic that I upgraded from a 720 to a 920 and now once again have the features of a 720 on my 920.

No Official Respond or Compensation?

How come tomtom say anything about bugs in their firmware?
Shouldn't they say at least sorry to customers?
What kind of customer relationship do they have?
This company should appolozie to customers who have been affected by this
incident.

How come tomtom say anything about bugs in their firmware?
Shouldn't they say at least sorry to customers?
What kind of customer relationship do they have?
This company should appolozie to customers who have been affected by this
incident.

Excellent point. They are definitely suffering in the public relations area with their reneging on Map Updates and not acknowledging bugs.

I have not run TThome this week so I don't know if they are still even offering the buggy firmware.

Excellent point. They are definitely suffering in the public relations area with their reneging on Map Updates and not acknowledging bugs.

I have not run TThome this week so I don't know if they are still even offering the buggy firmware.

It still is .... and I'm still refusing to take it :eek:

It still is .... and I'm still refusing to take it :eek:

I took it before I logged into this site to see if we should, and obviously, we shouldn't

very surprised they haven't rewritten the software yet but even more surprised they're still offering the broken update

anyway, does anyone have a copy of the last good software?

this software even broke my backup files

One would think that TomTom would at least put some info on their site in regards to the latest firmware problems instead of letting people call their support line.
Suggestions:
1: List the bugs in the latest firmware on your website so people will at least know what problems will occur.
2: Give a detailed explaination on how to revert back to the previous firmware even when someone has not made a back up.
3: Please give some kind of status on your website in regards to when the fixed firmware will come out instead of having us call in the support line all the time.
4: Why in the world would TomTom continue to offer this buggy firmware version at this point is disturbing. Pull this version off of your servers so others will not have the same problems.
5: Communication goes a long way.

Oh come one that would just be too darn easy. Maybe they enjoy seeing alll the owners getting frustrated...

Oh come one that would just be too darn easy. Maybe they enjoy seeing alll the owners getting frustrated...

well, I recieved an email today;

Dear Perris,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Support regarding the voice recognition feature. It is our goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always ready to address your concerns.

We regret to hear of the difficulty you are experiencing in accessing voice recognition. Please rest assured that we are diligently working to correct this issue. We anticipate that the resolution will be available for download through TomTom HOME soon.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST and Saturday from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Erica
TomTom Customer Support

Perris,

I got the same canned email from Erica as well....the most frustrating part is that if you check under "My Questions" on the TomTom support site, you will see that your inquiry is marked "SOLVED" :mad: as if all of sudden your VR is working!!! What LaLa land is their customer support team working under, like they job is done just because they send a canned response say "Geez, we know we screwed up your unit when you applied our patch but we don't know when we'll get around to fixing it, but because I sent you this email, we consider this matter closed!"

Ask a Question