Voice Input not working

Perris,

I got the same canned email from Erica as well....the most frustrating part is that if you check under "My Questions" on the TomTom support site, you will see that your inquiry is marked "SOLVED" :mad: as if all of sudden your VR is working!!! What LaLa land is their customer support team working under, like they job is done just because they send a canned response say "Geez, we know we screwed up your unit when you applied our patch but we don't know when we'll get around to fixing it, but because I sent you this email, we consider this matter closed!"
I got the official fix and posted it, you have to go into your go unit and uninstall home from there, then reinstall the previous version, if you don't have that version you can download it, the link to it is here

Last edited:
Hi All,

My name is Ryan, this is my first post. I just bought a 920 a few days ago, and had this same issue. I was glad to be able to find this forum to know that I was not alone, and that there was no need to send my unit back, or to worry at all.

I work in a similar field to that of these CS agents, as a manager for online support, so I can definitely empathise with their situation.

These agents have no idea when the developers are going to be able to create the fix for the issue, and can only go off the time frames supplied by the developers.

The managers of the support team should have been a little smarter, and not given any time frame for resolution. They should have just said that they are aware of the issue, and there is currently a fix in development. Once the fix has become available, it will be available via HOME. They could have went on to let you know that if you wished to follow up on the issue, they would be happy to hear back from you at any time.

To all the people who posted about getting rid of the 920 because the VR doesnt work, have you all gone completely insane?

The TomTom is hands down the best solution for portable navigation, and the small inconvenience (if you even use the VR, which i highly doubt 90% of you do) of having to wait a week or so to ensure that the new fix for this error is completed correctly is more than acceptable in my eyes.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for posting your experiences, it has definitely put my mind at ease, now i know my 920 isnt broken.

I will just wait for the new update fix.

CHeers,

Ryan

(if you even use the VR, which i highly doubt 90% of you do) of having to wait a week or so to ensure that the new fix for this error is completed correctly is more than acceptable in my eyes.

CHeers,

Ryan

the voice recognition is the only feature I use to input address, it is accurate even in a noisy car, faster then manual imput easily and I am surprised you think only a handfull of people use it

anyway, the fix is imple, uninstall home from the go unit and reinstall the previous version, done

I receieved the following e-mail from TomTom customer support a few minutes ago:

"I do understand the frustration that you are having, with not being able to use the Voice Recognition on your GO 920. We do know that you are wanting a status on when this software glitch will be fixed; however, we do not have a definite time frame to give you. It is still being tested, and as soon as it comes available, you will be able to upload it through the HOME program. We do appreciate your patience during this time."

I receieved the following e-mail from TomTom customer support a few minutes ago:

"I do understand the frustration that you are having, with not being able to use the Voice Recognition on your GO 920. We do know that you are wanting a status on when this software glitch will be fixed; however, we do not have a definite time frame to give you. It is still being tested, and as soon as it comes available, you will be able to upload it through the HOME program. We do appreciate your patience during this time."

That is a much better response........

Perris: I was not specifically referring to you.....you are in the 10% minority i alluded to then ;) I would definitely use it (VR) too, but I definitely don't think it is such an issue that I would toss it in and buy something else, just cause I have to wait a week to get a fully tested, operational update.

Well at least there is some kind of reply, although I did not get any message.
Spud: I was told the fix was to be released on 3/25-26 and never heard anything else. It is not so much the unexpected bug in the update but the lack of communication to customer on the error and an estimated time to fix the bugs. I have owned my 920 for 2 weeks and the lack of communication to me is the biggest problem. I reverted back to the previous build to get VR to work. I just wonder if this is a bad sign of the overall TomTom support. They should admit to the error that in trying to eliminate the VR feature for the US 720 users, they messed it up for the 920 users.

Well at least there is some kind of reply, although I did not get any message.
Spud: I was told the fix was to be released on 3/25-26 and never heard anything else. It is not so much the unexpected bug in the update but the lack of communication to customer on the error and an estimated time to fix the bugs. I have owned my 920 for 2 weeks and the lack of communication to me is the biggest problem. I reverted back to the previous build to get VR to work. I just wonder if this is a bad sign of the overall TomTom support. They should admit to the error that in trying to eliminate the VR feature for the US 720 users, they messed it up for the 920 users.

You are 100% correct......no one likes to admit their product has an error, or that they were responsible for causing the error. I have never understood this philosophy, I believe it is far better to admit the error and show you are taking responsibility for the issue. I think most companies are so concerned with their customers possibly requesting compensation for the error that they will not admit the error was their fault.

Perris,

I got the same canned email from Erica as well....the most frustrating part is that if you check under "My Questions" on the TomTom support site, you will see that your inquiry is marked "SOLVED" :mad: as if all of sudden your VR is working!!! What LaLa land is their customer support team working under, like they job is done just because they send a canned response say "Geez, we know we screwed up your unit when you applied our patch but we don't know when we'll get around to fixing it, but because I sent you this email, we consider this matter closed!"

Solved is probably too strong a word. The status they really need is, "we've root caused the issue, we know what it is, your unit will automatically get the fix when we have it, and since support is just in charge of finding the cause of your problem, there's nothing more we can do."

I know everyone is frustrated about this, but I'm very happy they're taking the time to find a fix that won't introduce more problems. Other GPS vendors I know of wouldn't even admit to the problem, and wouldn't provide a fix even when they had one (you had to know exactly what to ask for to get it!).

The new firmware 7.481 has been released and VR has been restored. The VR feature also seems to have improved. Thanks to TomTom for the update.

I got the official fix and posted it, you have to go into your go unit and uninstall home from there, then reinstall the previous version, if you don't have that version you can download it, the link to it is here
I guess they have the fix worked out, it's downloading onto my tomtom now, will report when loaded

it is miracle !!!!!!!!

I just download the 7.481 and now VR is working so far.
Tomtom should act better toward customers who paid a great deal of money
to purchase their GPS.

They should post in their website what was going on at first place.

Without this website, I almost throw GPS away.

Thanks for informing Tomtom users about what's going on.

This webmaster should be compensated by Tomtom Co.

Good work !

I just download the 7.481 and now VR is working so far.
Tomtom should act better toward customers who paid a great deal of money
to purchase their GPS.

They should post in their website what was going on at first place.

Without this website, I almost throw GPS away.

Thanks for informing Tomtom users about what's going on.

This webmaster should be compensated by Tomtom Co.

Good work !
You've hit the nail on the head,right on.

Yeah we are back!!
Thought to check here before downloading anything. Thanks so much for letting us know VR is working.

Can someone please test if a 920 does as my 720..
When VR (dialog)..
city Montreal
then does it kinda stops the VR when it's time to enter street name?

I just tried my VR with the 920T and it works fine.

Jim, I also tried the City of Montreal and that also works fine. It actually seems to be a bit quicker finding the city and streets than the previous working version.

Can someone please test if a 920 does as my 720..
When VR (dialog)..
city Montreal
then does it kinda stops the VR when it's time to enter street name?

I think there is no problem with 7.481 and 7.10 maps vis-a-vis Montreal but there is with 7.15 maps.

VR works but other stuff doesn't

i have a 920 and the latest supposedly now OK upgrade got my VR voice input working, but the Navigate to intersection choice or the find POI won't work. If I operate through TOMTOM home both seem OK, but I can't get both to work at the same time, just one or the other.

just hangs or says one moment please. apparently still a glitch with the latest version still

anyone else experience that?

i have a 920 and the latest supposedly now OK upgrade got my VR voice input working, but the Navigate to intersection choice or the find POI won't work. If I operate through TOMTOM home both seem OK, but I can't get both to work at the same time, just one or the other.

just hangs or says one moment please. apparently still a glitch with the latest version still

anyone else experience that?

I do not have any problems you mentioned.
Please tell us what you did by step by step.

Ask a Question