Verizon / TT Traffic / Step-by-step (1)

I hate to bump a thread that's been quiet for 6 months+ - but, I get the same "Dial-up networking unavailable" message when I'm almost done - whether or not I disable EVDO (using a Dare phone, you just ##PROGRAM9700 and hit <Send> to get the menu up and select "1X Only" in the "Network Selection" / "Mode" sub-menu. (use '000000' for the service code / key when it prompts you after you hit <Send>)

I'm guessing Verizon 'fixed' things, and we have to have tethering enabled? Verizon tells me that's a $59.95/month fee!

Last edited:
I hate to bump a thread that's been quiet for 6 months+ - but, I get the same "Dial-up networking unavailable" message when I'm almost done

It appears Verizon upgraded my area [or messed with my phones FW]

The tutorial dosn't appear to be working its majic any longer.

But, after having TT Traffic for quite a long period of time.....i'm
not missing it at all. It's helped me several times but 95% of the
time it offered no "real time" assistance. My belief, is that this
feature is nothing more than a fluffy revenue generator. Certain areas of the
U.S. seemed to work better than others,but overall i'd score its effectivness
a C to C-

Overpriced for a feature thats obviously not ready for prime time.

The TomTom RDS/TMC thangy was even a greater disappointment. Seeing that Clear Channel Communications is in the Radio ad revenue business [for each market they broadcast in]....... you actually believe they're gonna fork
out capital to support updated data streams for our traffic reports? NO WAY !
[the garmin i reviewed for landline magizine suffered from the same crappy radio station supplied traffic updates]

Europe, ONCE AGAIN, leads the pack in providing "functioning real time usefull traffic data". Users of both featues [traffic subscription & RDS] report mostly favorable reviews.

I'm guessing Verizon 'fixed' things, and we have to have tethering enabled? Verizon tells me that's a $59.95/month fee!
That's true. I do have tethering enabled on an unlimited data plan, using a Treo 700wx, and it works here. Just FYI for a point of reference... Great original write up. Wish I had seen this before all my trial-n-error (mostly error :D )

-Frank

I am a brand new member, joined today. I have a Verizon BB8130 Pearl and followed the instructions for the BB8830 earlier in this thread. I already pay for tethering, my job takes me to hotels at least twice a month and $15 a month for tethering is way less money than $9.95 to $12.95 per day. Anyway, it looks like my phone will work for traffic and weather. I will test it tomorrow when we are travelling.
Thanks to this forum for wonderful information and I hope to be a valued member for a long time.:)

Yet another problem

Sorry this has been a dead thread for awhile but I've been reading through it all night and trying various things with my phone. I don't care so much about weather and traffic, but I'd really like to get the hands free calling and texting and that good stuff. I'm just at a huge loss as to what to do now. Unfortunately, I'm not too savvy on a lot of the talk I've been hearing (tethering and whatnot), so breaking it down to basics would help me a lot. I went through the whole "installation" process that started this tread of trying to get my wireless connection set up and after it tried to "call", that's when it said the connection wouldn't work any more. I have a TomTom 720 and a Motorola W755 (it says TTY too if that helps).

Really though, if anybody can help me (and break it down), I would be very grateful!! Thank you!!

If you are not looking for data then do the following:

1) delete all pairings of the Tomtom on your phone
2) remove the phone under the Manage Phones item in the Tomtom menu
3) do a pin reset on the Tomtom
4) on your phone, make it discoverable
5) on the Tomtom, go to Manage Phones and add a new phone
6) follow the steps on the Tomtom to search for your phone, when prompted on your phone, enter the code 0000
7) see if the Tomtom says "handsfree calling" and "SMS" as available features when it pairs
8) say no to the data pairing prompt if you don't care for news & weather

If the Tomtom doesn't say handsfree calling or sms as available features, then your Tomtom isn't compatible with those features on your phone.

I just got this working on my TT go 730.
My LG VX8700 needed an extra procedure to get it to allow a data connection through.
NO hacking required. All you need to do is change you phone settings to use your regular USER ID to connect to the internet instead of your DUN User ID (DUN=DIAL Up Networking) Instructions on changing the settings are included bellow.
Warning: do not abuse this. This can get them to lock your data completely and or get your account suspended. Use with caution.

1) ##PROGRAM8700 + Send -> use 000000 as the service code
2) Select Data (#4)
3) Select MIP Setting (#4)
4) Select NAI Setting (#8)
5) Edit the SIP DUN NAI (#2) and MIP DUN NAI (#4) to remove ?dun.? in the entry
i.e.: (e-mail address removed) -> (e-mail address removed)
6) Exit out of the service menu and power cycle your phone.
7) Use the standard DUN settings to establish an 1x/EVDO connection from your laptop/PDA/whatever

phone #: #777
username: (e-mail address removed)
password: vzw

Ask a Question