Map update problem, slow transfer, or Verizon connection issue?

- et -

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540, GO Live 1535, GO 620
Am I looking at a real problem with the 8.70 map update, a very, very slow transfer between my computer and my GPS, or a problem related to the disconnect between the TomTom servers and Verizon FIOS that is reportedly happening at the moment?

I acquired a XXL540T a couple of weeks ago, and last night I decided to use the ?Latest Map Guarantee?. I installed Home on my 32-bit Windows XP computer without any problems and ?registered? my unit. Home detected that a later map (8.70) was available for my unit and offered to download and install it, which I accepted.

The download to my computer took about 50-55 minutes on a Verizon FIOS broadband connection, and Home then began copying the files to my XXL540, using a bar display that sweeps back and forth to show that something was happening ? but unfortunately without any indication of the actual percentage of completion.

When I was ready for bed, Home was still saying that it was copying and arranging the files on my GPS, so I left it running overnight. When I woke this morning, Home was still doing the same thing, according to its display. Rather than gamble on terminating the process, I just decided to leave it running while I am at work, and hope that it will be finished when I return home tonight.

I have read that the TomTom units still use the old and slow USB 1.1 transfer process, but it seems to me that 9+ hours for the map update is excessive even over such a connection. Is this behavior indicative of a problem with the map update, is it nothing more than just very, very slow transfer from my computer to the XXL540, or does Home require a connection to the TomTom server even while copying files from my computer to my XXL540?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ad

Advertisements

dhn

TomTom Model(s)
Go 50; Go 520
Could be the 1.1 issue. I have the 540 WTE so needed to copy both the NA & Western_Europe maps from the computer to the unit.

Each took about an hour for me.

TomTom Model(s)
720, 930, 940, XL, One 3rd
Verizon + TomTom server access is an issue at the moment for NA users so my guess would be its that causing the issues - Mike

Ad

Advertisements

mvl

TomTom Model(s)
GO 2535 LIVE, GO 1535 LIVE, GO 740 LIVE, Go 930
Try again. The Verizon outage was fixed around 2pm eastern for me.

Ask a Question