Verizon / TT Traffic / Step-by-step (1)

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Below is a fully tested routine [STEP-BY-STEP] to get bluetooth enabled phones to work on the Verizon Network.

Test were done on Verizon Phones that HAVE NO DATA PLAN. Just regular nation wide service plans.

This will enable all data functions on TomTom devices. [Verizon]

Tested and confirmed on these models of phones: V3m , KRZR , Chocolate , VX8700 [Verizon]

NOTE: i've found the process to work 100% of the time while in your "home" area.

Once you've left "home area" i've found the process to be hit-n-miss.

HERE'S THE PROCEDURE:

1) navigate to this screen and select TomTom Traffic
dump1045300449.jpg

2) after tapping the traffic icon you'll see this screen --> YES
dump1045300450.jpg

3) bluetooth enabled screen --> yes
dump1045300451.jpg

4) searching for my phone
dump1045300452.jpg

5) OOOPS , didn't have BT discovery on . TURN THE PHONES BT DISCOVERY ON NOW !
dump1045300453.jpg

6) After turning BT discovery on. Things are now progressing --> YES
dump1045300454.jpg

7) searching for my phone
dump1045300455.jpg

8) found my phone --> CONTINUE
dump1045300456.jpg

9) hands free, data found --> CONTINUE
dump1045300457.jpg

10) Tip Trust Allow --> CONTINUE
dump1045300458.jpg

11) progress bar showing it's doing its thing
dump1045300459.jpg

12) Phone selection --> OTHER
dump1045300460.jpg

13) Country I selected United States --> United States
dump1045300461.jpg

14) Phone selection screen again --> OTHER
dump1045300462.jpg

15) Do you want to set up manually --> YES
dump1045300463.jpg

16) Access point name --> VZW3G
dump1045300464.jpg

17) USERNAME --> your 10 digit phone number @VZW3G.com
dump1045300465.jpg

18) PASSWORD --> VZW
VZW.jpg

19) Do you want IP --> AUTOMATIC
dump1045300468.jpg

20) Do you want DNS --> AUTOMATIC
dump1045300469.jpg

Last edited:
Verizon / TT Traffic / Step-by-step (2)

21) DIAL --> #777
dump1045300470.jpg

22) LOGIN SCRIPT --> DO NOT ENTER - LEAVE EMPTY
dump1045300471.jpg

23) Making the connection --> just sit there and watch
dump1045300472.jpg

24) To guarantee an optimal user --> I AGREE
dump1045300473.jpg

25) Sending info server stuff --> another break, just watch
dump1045300474.jpg

26) CONGRATULATIONS --> you followed all my instructions
dump1045300475.jpg

27) USERNAME --> the one you use on your official TomTom Web page
dump1045300476.jpg

28) PASSWORD --> the one you use on your official TomTom Web page
dump1045300477.jpg

29) Opens to NAV Screen. You'll now see a animated green arrow
dump1045300478.jpg

30) Connecting to phone
dump1045300479.jpg

31) Data downloaded completly. Animated arrow is now solid green ball
dump1045300480.jpg

32) Go to your TomTom traffic screen and look at options
dump1045300481.jpg

33) Make yourself a trip and see results of traffic reports
dump1045300482.jpg

That's it Folks. Obviously, this is still a work in progress. There are still connection bugs,
but am experiencing positive results.

Any pertinent input always appreciated.

Absolutely fantastic write-up!

NOTE TO MODERATORS: Sticky! Sticky! Sticky! Sticky! Sticky!

How did you know the ACCESS POINT NAME and PASSWORD?

Also, the USERNAME on TomTom.com is an email address.....do you just use the prefix before the '@' in the address?

Last edited:
What:eek:

You got this to work without making the "dun.vzw3g.com" to "vzw3g.com" hack? I thought that Verizon plug that hole when they change the tethering entry in the phones to "dun.vzw3g.com" which is why the hack to remove the "dun." is required.

I tried a LG8550 Chocolate at my Verizon store and it would not work although my V710 does but it uses "vzw3g.com" when tethering:(

Have you been to other Verizon areas and had it work?

Last edited:
What:eek:

You got this to work without making the "dun.vzw3g.com" to "vzw3g.com" hack? I thought that Verizon plug that hole when they change the tethering entry in the phones to "dun.vzw3g.com" which is why the hack to remove the "dun." is required.

I tried a LG8550 at my Verizon store and it would not work although my V710 does but it uses "vzw3g.com" when tethering:(

Have you been to other Verizon areas and had it work?

Stock, off the shelf Moto phone that's never been touched by anything but my fingers. I've no knowledge nor sought any means to circumvent stock settings.

Yes, i've been able to do data in other areas other than my home. The rate of success outside my home area is extremly sporatic.

Still does not work with my BB8830.

I can see the RED ARROWS showing the phone trying to connect to DATA, I think, but then get "NO CONNECTION."

I do NOT have tethering.

Has anyone had any luck with either the phones listed above or any other Verizon phones w/ BT?

I am eligible for a new phone upgrade and with Verizon's current promotions plus my "new every two" I can pick up many phones either free or for a minimal cost (~$30) and to activate this feature on my TT would more than make up for the small cost and new 2yr agreement.

Thx.

BTW Great tutorial. As a side note...what is my "home" area? I logged into my Verizon account but found nothing about this. I am in MA so does that mean that MA is my "home" or the North East in general?

Last edited:
Still does not work with my BB8830.

I can see the RED ARROWS showing the phone trying to connect to DATA, I think, but then get "NO CONNECTION."

I do NOT have tethering.

It works with the 8830 as long as you have tethering enabled by Verizon. You also might want to call TT and have them reset your unit for traffic

Last edited:
my Verizon account but found nothing about this. I am in MA so does that mean that MA is my "home" or the North East in general?

I'm referring to "home" as literally in my home. Place of residence and surrounding area [30+ mile radius] connection to data works everytime.
Once I get out of that circle........problems connecting begin.

Please note: as i've said before, I do not have any additional services from Verizon for these phones and screen shots were done DURING the ACTUAL setup process.

Are you sure you aren't getting a high per-minute billing charge?
When I bought my phone, I was told that without a data plan I can still access the network but I would pay big $$.

I have a treo 700 W on verizon and got further than ever before, but still got an error as it was trying to set up the wireless connection.

Roy

THough it just received a weather update, so I must have done something right.

Last edited:
I have a treo 700 W on verizon and got further than ever before, but still got an error as it was trying to set up the wireless connection.

Roy

THough it just received a weather update, so I must have done something right.

Did you see this screen ?
dump1045300475.jpg

I'm thinking you must have, to have recieved weather would indicate a successfull setup.

ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS: Try to re-boot/re-start both devices. I'm hearing this clears up the path for good connnects..[for some] And, it should be obvious, but you must make certain you've gotten both devices bluetooth paired and functioning together.

The key to all this is completing the entire process as i've documented in first post. If any element of that process fails ? .......then it must be restarted.

At the failure point - the screen will ask if you want to save ?.
dump1045300471.jpg

The screen shot above is the last screen you'll see if setup failed. If failed ? You'll be greeted with the "want to save" option
Select YES. Reboot phone and try again. Since you selected "SAVE", you will not have to re-enter all the information.

If you have the time and patience, i'm thinking there will be folks that will actually find this thing does indeed work. I'm not the only individual who's had success at getting data working without tethering or dun hacks. I have no explanation why it does or dosn't work.......but I do know quite well that it can.

I'm referring to "home" as literally in my home. Place of residence and surrounding area [30+ mile radius] connection to data works everytime.
Once I get out of that circle........problems connecting begin.
I suspect that your in a Verizon area that's not enforcing the tethering NAI setting, which is by default set to "dun.vzw3g.com", but when you go to one that is you can't connect.
The only solutions is to add tethering or to hack your phone. The hack is fairly easy with many of the phones.

Check out this this link, it has the information you need. If your only going to use it for your TT I'd suggest that you turn off EDVO as there is less of a chance you'll be noticed.

Last edited:
Didn't work for my E815.:(

Thanks for the effort though...

Check out this this link, it has the information you need. If your only going to use it for your TT I'd suggest that you turn off EDVO as there is less of a chance you'll be noticed.

Dunno bout that tip.[?]

I can easily enable/disable EDVO [ not really needed for what wer'e doing here]

But, doing a seem edit per your link [tethering] mess'd things up
dump1404593878.jpg

Restore backup file to phone and alls back to normal.

I'm guessing you did not use the right process. Here is the link that shows you how to enable DUN. Although it's in the LG section it seems to cover many Motorola phones as well.

E815's can be a bit of a PIA. Verizon did something to one version of the phone that I don't think anyone has figured out how to get around although check out post 15 in the above thread and see if it helps. If not your best bet would be to talk to the Howard Forums members and see if they can help you. Start with this thread.

If you want to disable EDVO that's fine and I would if your not using VCast features. It's believed that Verizon does not monitor 1xRTT traffic like they do EDVO but no one has ever been kicked off Verizon unless they were using a large amount of GBs off of a notebook. If the only thing you use tethering for is your TT you should not have a problem. According to TT you'll be lucked to use 5MBs in a month.

Timon, did you stumble on anything about Blackberry and Verizon. I have failed but I think the BB is more tightly controlled??? I have a feeling additional $$$ tethering is needed.

Ask a Question