Unable to renew live services

I cannot understand why tomtom keeps ignoring this glaring problem; they are making it a big pain in the ass for me, and all other live services users in the usa, to pay them $10 per month to renew live services. These renewals are a recurring revenue stream for tomtom; are they that stupid that they don't commit resources to fix this problem, once and for all? Personally, i think tomtom does not really give a damn about their usa customers!

P.s.: We are still waiting for hd traffic! They have had it "across the pond" for several years already!

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone. Since my trial subscription expired in January I would have problems renewing every month. If I went to tomtom home, after the normal updates (map share, etc.)I was getting those renewal icons. I'd try purchasing the monthly subscription, receiving the message that I already purchased the item. Script error doing it from the device.

This is not much progress, but it helped a little. TomTom support told me to try and disable my account. Login to TomTom go and go under your profile to edit your email address. Type DISABLED in front of the address. If your email is (e-mail address removed), for example, type (e-mail address removed), enter the password and press the submit button.

This will let you create a new account using the same email address ([email protected]). Once I did that, I renewed without a problem. It saves the hassle of creating 50 trillion new email accounts but like I said, it is not much. I no longer get the renew icons from tomtom home so that seemed to work. My subscription now expires August 9th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone optedfor the yearly subscription and had any problems with month to month service? Maybe TomTom management has a subtle plan to encourage yearly subscriptions. I had the same problem at the end of alast year and just figured that was enough. Eventually they will be loaded down with ficticious e-mail addresses.

I spoke to TT support a few days ago on a separate issue, but asked about the status of this live renewal problem.

They said it impacts some (but not all) users on monthly plan. The problem is in the fact that the $10 plan auto-renews, and the auto-renewal process is broken.

They said the 3-month and annual subscriptions don't auto-renew, and therefore don't have this issue.

My 740's subscription hasn't expired yet, so I can't confirm/deny any of the above statements.

I think the monthly and quarterly subscriptions are being discontinued in the UK, but the yearly subscription has been reduced by a very significant amount, down to about $70 US I believe. That doesn't necessarily mean the US subscription rates will follow suit, but I don't think I'd commit to any annual fee right now, opting for no more than quarterly. There's a reasonable chance you could save quite a few dollars by waiting it out. It currently costs no more to subscribe quarterly than annually when divided by the appropriate number of months.

I've only seen monthly, 6 month, and annual subscriptions. The cost of each is 5 cents less than $10 times the number of months. So the longer you commit to, the MORE you pay per month. The difference is minuscule, but I can't believe (well, actually I can) that nobody at TomTom observed this while pricing the various options.

With a quick fix of changing your email address, which thankfully doesn't involve tech support, it's actually MUCH cheaper to do a monthly subscription, because the service actually works for two months before their system stops it for non-payment.

Laugh if you will, but I truly believe that within my lifetime, someone will develop a system that will automatically charge customers on a recurring basis in exchange for providing an ongoing service. I know it seems far fetched, but,,, wait... oh, nevermind. :confused:

Success!

My LIVE services were valid through yesterday, and this morning I had an email from TomTom waiting, telling me as much. Believe it or not, I was able to purchase another monthly subscription via TomTom Home, without having to change my email address or anything else. Things actually went as I would expect had I had no prior experience with TomTom.

My LIVE services are now valid for two months, after which I expect they'll expire again, after having failed to renew, but it appears that things seem to be improving.

I spoke too soon. Traffic, Safety Cameras, Fuel Prices and Buddies on my TomTom are valid until August 26, 2010. Local Search with Google, Weather and QuickGPSfix are valid until April 11, 2010 (at least a month before I received my refurb unit).

Ask a Question