TT buddies service tracking from home?

TomTom Model(s)
One XL
I?ve been wondering if the ?buddies? service works between TT?s only, or if it would work between a TT and a computer hooked up to the internet.
Here is the scenario:
I want to go riding my motorcycle (both on and off road) but I can?t get anybody to go with me on short notice. I don?t like to ride alone (pretty dangerous), but it is better than not riding at all! Having barely survived a heart attack almost 2 years ago after a really fun ride, my wife is adamant that I not put myself into situations that would render me ?unfound? in the event of another attack. One of the reasons I purchased a GPS was to be able to locate myself via longitude and latitude and call for help (Before I got my TT, I had my truck break down on a back road, and had a real battle trying to get a tow truck to come and get me without being able to give them an exact location!). Does TT Buddies just send an e-mail with LON/LAT data, which the other TT then uses to place an icon on its own screen? If I were hooked up with ?TT Buddies service?, would my wife be able to track me from home (having received an e-mail from my TT) using something like Google Earth, Google Maps, Mapquest, or some other internet available service? I really don?t want to have to buy another TT just to make this work!
Maybe better yet, is there a way to e-mail an ITN file using the blue tooth link between my TT and cell phone? Tripmaster creates a beautiful bread crumb trail, but unless I?m hooked up to a computer I can?t get the ITN file it generates off of the TT and into Tyre (google earth) to display it. Wow! Now that would be a great 3rd party app! A button that sends a selected ITN file via the cell phone e-mail link! Ok, I?m dreaming now, sorry about that! In the mean time, anybody got any insight on how I can use my TT to allow my wife to keep track of me during a ride?

I don't think that Buddies works that way. I also heard that that functionality is being phased out in new versions of the software.

You need something like this for the wife...

http://www.globaltrackinggroup.com/

or this one that has a "panic" button.

http://www.geminitracking.com/

If you receive Rider magazine, they usually have an ad for a GPS tracker as well.

Last edited:

Ask a Question