fix for 9.058 traffic timeout? Sick of using buddies!!

Anyone have a solution for the 9.054/9.058 traffic yellow triangle timeout?

I am getting sick of what has now been several months of having to use the buddies refresh to get started and keep up the connection approx every 10 mins.

TT Support is useless - keep giving me the same canned hard reset/modem status email and then closing off the question even after it has been "escalated"

:mad:

sorry this is for a 740 live

Last edited:
I have the same problem in the Southern California area. My fix has been to revert to the 8.371 software. Traffic is up almost instantly and runs about 99% of the time. The Live Traffic was why I purchased the G0 740 Live.

My experience is that AT&T isn't dedicating enough bandwidth to their 2G network any longer. In periods of high utilization (eg: rush hour with all those iPhone Pandora players), certain neighborhoods get completely blacked out for LIVE services.

App 8.x had a cool feature where earlier traffic remains for 10 minutes even when the signal cuts out. That feature was either deliberately or inadvertently removed in 9.05x.

Second, app 9.05x has a bug where it doesn't auto-reconnect often with signal loss, and you need buddies (or weather, which is easier) to wake it up.

8.x avoids all those issues. I'm debating every day whether to run 8.312 or 9.058 (I avoid 8.37x because of the bluetooth crash). So far, I slightly prefer 9.058 due to the ability to call Google POIs, and the LIVE snapshot. But with AT&T's worsening signal, I'm about to jump back to 8.312 any day now.

Fingers and toes crossed -- still haven't seen connectivity problems out here in the Front Range area of Colorado. Data requests aren't exactly speedy, but the connections are being made reliably and not being dropped.

My experience is that AT&T isn't dedicating enough bandwidth to their 2G network any longer. In periods of high utilization (eg: rush hour with all those iPhone Pandora players), certain neighborhoods get completely blacked out for LIVE services.

App 8.x had a cool feature where earlier traffic remains for 10 minutes even when the signal cuts out. That feature was either deliberately or inadvertently removed in 9.05x.

Second, app 9.05x has a bug where it doesn't auto-reconnect often with signal loss, and you need buddies (or weather, which is easier) to wake it up.

8.x avoids all those issues. I'm debating every day whether to run 8.312 or 9.058 (I avoid 8.37x because of the bluetooth crash). So far, I slightly prefer 9.058 due to the ability to call Google POIs, and the LIVE snapshot. But with AT&T's worsening signal, I'm about to jump back to 8.312 any day now.

I backed down to 8.371 with no issues, except for the initial having to use "operate my go" to set my LIVE login credentials.

I know the LIVE devices are GSM, which narrows down the list of national carriers in the US, but this is the first I've seen information (that I believe) indicating the carrier is AT&T. With all the network issues I hear about with AT&T, I might say I'm surprised they chose AT&T, but with the alternative being T-Mobile I can't really say I'm surprised.

I'm sure the end-user agreement with TomTom covers things like lack of availability in some areas, meaning we're SOL if it's not available. But I would be surprised if TomTom's agreement with AT&T is so one-sided. If AT&T's network is not providing access to LIVE services in areas with network coverage, TomTom needs to re-think who they partner with.

Thank you for the 8.312 link. I'll give it a try.
I tried 9.058 today again after some of the posts in this thread. I noticed when the live traffic was lost all traffic was lost in the unit. When I brought up the destination map, nothing showed up in the way of traffic problems. I tried buddies, weather and another I've had good luck with, showing home-to-work or work-to-home traffic, but to no avail. It wasn't a long enough trip, but I wonder if the unit would try to reroute you back to the original route that had the traffic problems before it was dropped if it was quicker (my default setting). Oh well back to a 8.xxx version.
Thanks again for you help.

My biggest issue is the BS we get from TT over this - This is a PAID service that does not work with the released code they push onto your unit and the only way to fix it is with a really old app that drops a bunch of functionality and has to be loaded manually to boot- but you won't get that from them - just endless reset emails that does not actually fix the problem.

Their s/w QA sucks - I have used Nav 6 which had Traffic that was up and down like a yo-yo because of their server s/w, and 2 dedicated units but every s/w version breaks something and you constantly get reboots if anything goes even slightly wrong.

Maybe on Nav 6 there is a small excuse being open platform (NOT!) but developing solid code bases for a closed h/w environment is not that hard - good and solid network protocols are not rocket science. And re-introducing/fixing the SAME bugs time and time again is just stupidity or bad process and/or code forking documentation.

What sort of monkeys do they have coding for them?

how do I use the cab file to install the older App? Home does not show this older 312 version for download but starts with the later 8.3 version

Do I use home to delete the current app and then use RAR to extract and copy the files across?

mmmm - my update seems to have gone missing.....

Anyone have any update on when they are going to fix this problem?

The fact that Home keeps pushing a broken code base does not fill me with hope

Tomtomforums had a server crash and a week's worth of posts were lost (see here).

If anyone needs further assistance downgrading the app, please post back and we can walk through the process.

Tomtom hasn't announced a timeframe for this fix, nor have they even acknowledged the bug in my recollection. As with all unresolved bugs, I recommend calling Tomtom support to ask for a fix - the more calls they get the more a resolution is prioritized.

I finally got so sick of the issue too, and downgraded to 8.312.

The application downgrade was smooth, but as usual upgrading/downgrading from 9.x to 8.x meant I lost all my favorites, mapshares, and my LIVE services broke.

I needed tons of resets and had to change my Tomtom email address to get LIVE up and working again.

Still, it was worth it. It appears that LIVE drops out as much as it did with 9.058, but (unlike 9.x) when there's no signal the prior traffic remains on the device for use. You don't even know it drops unless you try something like weather/google. The 8.x apps quietly age traffic for 15 minutes of deadzone before they discarded traffic data. Also, 8.312 auto-reacquires traffic, unlike 9.058 where half the time you have to do weather or buddies to wake traffic up.

I know I'm losing the ability to call a Google POI, and I'll have to manually backup/restore favorites when I get a new map, but it's well worth the hassle.

it still baffles me how bad this is - more and more they are going to be dependent on these add-ons for revenue and it's the one thing they consistently screw up....this is not a new trend - it goes way back to the early CE versions of Navigator

This network stuff is not hard to do yet they just can't seem to do anything right - and it's not like the problems are not real easy to spot in any simple form of testing.

I am afraid this is going to be my last TT - as much as I like the app and ability to tweak colors etc, I gotta say that Bing etc are seriously starting to get good enough for this 90% of the time.

Lately even when I can get traffic data, i have been finding it is often getting WAY out of sync with what google and M$ are showing - both of which seem a lot faster at updating and a lot closer to real world.

I have a 340XL - and have the same problem. Once in a GREAT while I'll get the green light, but I usually get the yellow triangle. I was wondering if the position of the receiver mattered.

Will 8.312 work on the 340XL? If so, can you point me to an explanation of how to install it?

I paid for the traffic. It would be really nice to have it. >:-(

I have a 340XL - and have the same problem. Once in a GREAT while I'll get the green light, but I usually get the yellow triangle. I was wondering if the position of the receiver mattered.

Will 8.312 work on the 340XL? If so, can you point me to an explanation of how to install it?

I paid for the traffic. It would be really nice to have it. >:-(

Assuming you have the XL340S LIVE in the USA, you can do a similar downgrade to app 8.562 by following the same steps with this application.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you have the XL340S LIVE in the USA, you can do a similar downgrade to app 8.562 by following the same steps with this application.

Awesome, thanks! I'll try this when I get a chance. Can you point me to a link with the installation steps you mention? I can open the cab file, but don't see a .exe file or anything.

First, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Then, after deleting all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents, use WinRar to extract the contents of the cab file to the unit, overwriting existing files if prompted.

First, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Then, after deleting all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents, use WinRar to extract the contents of the cab file to the unit, overwriting existing files if prompted.

Thank you!

Earble

Ask a Question