TomTom XL track log (gpx kml etc)

TomTom Model(s)
tomtom XL
Hi all,

Is there a way to extract a track log from a TomTom XL (14644) into something like a gpx, kml etc file type. Basically I need to prove that we travelled a certain distance around Australia for a Guinness World Record attempt. The TomTom was on for most of the trip so I was hoping to extract the data somehow

Thanks in advance

Not normally. Before models such as yours got an upgrade to Navcore 9.X, there were 3rd party apps that, if installed, could do what you wanted.

Hi all,

Is there a way to extract a track log from a TomTom XL (14644) into something like a gpx, kml etc file type. Basically I need to prove that we travelled a certain distance around Australia for a Guinness World Record attempt.
I doubt that it has anywhere near the buffer capacity to manage a whole trip like that, and while that kind of information is stored (it's how TomTom anonymously gets lots of average speed data for IQRoutes and 'discovers' some new roads that they had missed), that data is encrypted and can be extracted and interpreted only by TomTom. When you connect you unit to their servers, if you have permitted the use of the data, it's all sucked down and doesn't reside on your unit after that.

Maybe more simple. Try Joghurt's MiniLog which logs all $GPGGA und $GPRMC NMEA sentences that the built-in GPS-chip creates.

http://gps.dg4sfw.de/index.php/menuid=61

This 3rd party tool creates one logfile a day (file name nmea-yyyy-mm-dd.log) which could be read with f.e. Google Earth.

It works on my GO 940 and 950 with NC 9.430.

I could never get MiniLog to install on my 720. The UI came up, the thing found the serial number of the unit, but nothing ever appeared in the sdk folders, and no app ever appears on the screen - which is no surprise, given no app seems to have been moved to the unit.

Tried to be too cute, I think. I would have done fine with individual downloadable files rather than the Java attempt to autoinstall, but there's no option to just pull down the files.

MUCH appreciated. Will be interesting to finally try out this application.

I'm using TTTracklog, it has the posibility of start logging as soon as you start your device. (And only raw track data, not corrected by TomTom software).

Hi Nichlas... can you give some more details about what TomTom you are using TT Tracklog on and what main software version you're running on the TomTom?

Many of these third-party add-ons have stopped working with newer versions of Navcore, so it's good to hear of one that is still OK.

I'm using TTTracklog, it has the posibility of start logging as soon as you start your device. (And only raw track data, not corrected by TomTom software).
That won't be true for devices that are stuck at 8.XXX firmware. OK for others, though. For whatever reason, TT would feed only the road snapped coordinate data through the API for a while. After being beat up a bit about that, it was subsequently 'fixed' so that the raw NMEA coordinate data was being supplied again.

Ask a Question