TomTom wants to track left (right in USA)

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730 x 3
My Go 730 consistently is biased to the left (Australia) when no route is set (so presumably snap to route feature is off).
The problem typically occurs on motorways where an exit peels off that runs close and parallel to the motorway. The vehicle is incorrectly indicated as following the exit. Unless there is an inbuilt bias (similar to snap to) in the TomTom system I have assumed the problem lies in the map centre line data. I can imagine this happening with cenreline points too far apart and/or the exit centre line points are located mid distant to the motorway points.
Has anyone experienced similar problems?
Are there any gurus out there who know how to identify or extract the map data?
I have written to the company in Australia (Sensis) that provides the map data but they are claiming the problem lies with TomTom. I can feel a buckpassing episode coming on here.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

That kind of issue often is indeed a result of incorrect interpretation of map data by the application. I don't know of a way to resolve it. (make sure you do have a solid GPS signal).

Now I am not so sure. On all occasions I have a very good GPS signal.
I dragged out my old TomTom One (The original version from about 2005) to see how it performed by comparison.
I note that it displays exactly the same tendency, but because the map is less detailed at exits (prior to lane guidance) the effect is less obvious. I am now not sure if the effect is related to the device or the maps.
Although I have North America and Europe maps I obviously can't try them down here in Oz.
I would be interested to know if a similar effect is evident in Left Hand Drive countries

There are times here where the unit will place you on a service road (known as a 'slip road' in the UK, I think) rather than the main road running parallel. Inaccuracies in map data.

I always find it illustrative to go to sites that provide map data overlaid upon satellite views. Google is one such source. I'm often surprised that the geolocation isn't near what one would hope. An offset of 100' or so can easily put you on an access road or freeway ramp instead of where you really are.

Ask a Question