Tracking your TomTom on the Web???

Satellite is one way, so the only way a web site would be able to pick up a TomTom is if a mobile phone connection is enabled. The two ways of doing that now using official software are TomTom Buddies and the TomTom fleet line of products.

Fire Eagle looks like it's doing something similar. Interesting idea, though what purpose does it serve except as a toy? It's handy if your GPS and phone were stolen (such as if your car was stolen with those devices in it) and the devices are on.

Oh, who am I fooling; half of us bought our TomToms for the cool toy factor. :p

You know it's people like you that get me in trouble...
I've got my wife convinced it's because she gets car sick reading a map... :D:D;)

hmm.. not just a 'cool toy'. I think it is just the beginning of the gps world
and we are the first ones to be in it. Imagine how it will be few years into the future..

Whereas today, gps units can locate 'static POIs'... I imagine future gps can locate 'mobile' 'VOIs'. (vehicle of interest). So I will always know where in the city the teenagers in the family went. And if I need to call a taxi, my tomtom can display and dial the nearest 'available taxi' in the area.

I think the technology will expand.

We will all then be dependent on satelites. We won't be able
to go home without them.

GerryC.

Satellite is one way, so the only way a web site would be able to pick up a TomTom is if a mobile phone connection is enabled. The two ways of doing that now using official software are TomTom Buddies and the TomTom fleet line of products.

Fire Eagle looks like it's doing something similar. Interesting idea, though what purpose does it serve except as a toy? It's handy if your GPS and phone were stolen (such as if your car was stolen with those devices in it) and the devices are on.

There are lots of reasons. In the HAM radio world there is an option similar to this where you connect a board between your GPS and a radio. It broadcasts your position information over the radio to another radio that feeds the info to a server. You can then go online and see where anyone with this set up is. One reason for this is the toy factor for sure, the other is for use during emergency operations. I could see this set up being used in the same way......

Then there is allow DW to know where you are all the time.... this option is not as appealing.

Joe
VE9JJC
cache_r_joe in the Geocaching World

Pain is Temporary... Pride is Forever

Ask a Question