TOMTOM one 3rd edition - white screen problems

fastturb - from what I understand, it would be a waste of time. Tech Support told me that they only managed to 'fix' one over the phone and they consider that a fluke because they haven't been able to replicate it. Easyiest thing to do is send it back and get a new one.

>>salesperson was trying to sell me this GPS unit called mia, never heard of it doesn't look good, its text-to-speech..he was saying it's better than the tom-tom.<<

Had the same experience at a RS in California. They were out of TT 3rd Editions but was told the Mia was better (because of text to speech), and it was same size, and the same $149 price.

They didn't have a Mia out on display to play with so I bought one, took it outside the store, and fired it up.

It sucked . . .

The Mia is about same size as the TT overall, but the screen is smaller. The voice (it seemed only one was available) was staccato and computer like. The worst part was the keyboard, the buttons are smaller in size, harder to use, and I had to really stab at them to get them to work.

The only good thing about it was the packaging is easier to open than the TT. :)

I put it all back in the box and returned it . . .

>>TOMTOM repair center would be closed from Dec.21st to Jan 3rd,2008 for christmas & new year vacation.<<

I looked all over the TT site and didn't see the above. Have a link?

Good luck registering new unit

Had same white screen problem, so returned it to Circuit City and upgraded to XL due to 10% off special. Was not able to register the XL on my TomTom account because I had registered the previous one (3rd edition). Called Tech Support, spent 20 minutes on the phone for them to reset my Device ID so that I can register the new one. Ridiculous.
When you login into your account, there is an option to change your device ID, but can only be done once every 6 months. What the???

First TomTom experience, very frustrated at all the wasted time. My first unit should have worked, I should have been able to simply change my device ID online with the 2nd unit, and last, tech support should've been able to reset my device ID instantly. I hope at least there are no further problems once I actually start using it!

There's another thread on here that talks about the fact that you can only have on unit per email address. Talk about stupid!!!! I would think it would almost as easy just to get them to cancel the account and then just start a new one. I think I'm going to try that; first.

Just had a thought. What happens if you sell a unit; can the person creat an account with the same serial number or are they going to have to drop your old account first?

Obviously I'm here so I'm having the same problems as everyone else, I'm surprised that no one is simply going to hold onto their GPS and then return it for a new one in a few weeks from wherever they might have bought it, just seems easier then sending it back to tomtom, they are going to be overloaded with defective units. Of course this is assuming that they get the word out to the retailors and get units that work in the stores. Altough when I talked to two different guys at two different radioshacks they seemed to have no clue what I was talking about, I guess they will see after christmas and they are hit with return after return.

The local Circuit City store has been out of them for weeks, same at RS and other places. That's why I bought online from CC. I called the same store today and they are still out of stock and they have no idea when they'll get more. And there's no guarantee they'll be good ones as they seemed to have no idea about the problem or the bad serial numbers.

I know it's a long shot, but I'm hoping when TT sees our returned units have been shipped (using their own prepaid RMAs) they will send out the new ones. But, I'm not holding my breath though.

Anyway, with all there is to do this time of year, it's done, and it comes when it comes . . . :)

I'm surprised that no one is simply going to hold onto their GPS and then return it for a new one in a few weeks from wherever they might have bought it, just seems easier then sending it back to tomtom

Well that is what i'm doing, i have 90 days as i mentioned n my earlier post.

but most people bought online.

This sucks, bought one of these as a gift for my wife's grandparents and was trying it out so that we could explain to them how to use it.

Bought 3 of them from Radio Shack (I think all from the same batch). I didn't check the serial number on the first two but this one is Y1148 and has the white screen problem.

Now that I know what serial numbers to avoid I will shop around tomorrow until I find one with the proper serial number and try to exchange it there.

Worst case though we give this one to them for the time being and they can send it in for repair when they get home from their holiday travels. I mean, it still works fine, is just a pain in the butt to have to reset it every time you use it.

I got the same problem..I bought off someone brand new off craigslist so no possibility of return to the store for me. My serial starts with Y1248...

on a side topic..what was with TT to create those messed up boxes?...

Same here....

Yeah got the same problem to. Bough mine at "the source" in Moncton Canada. Same white screen problem. I think I'm just gonna buy another one. To bad because it was a good price.

Ad another one to the list. Bought mine from an online retailer out of New Jersey. This type of QC, especially around Christmas, is BS.

what was with TT to create those messed up boxes?...
It's an attempt to cut down on shop lifting. Believe it or not, there are folks that can open a bubble pack fast enough that sales people (associates) can't spot them even thought they are standing within 10feet of the shop lifter.

Count me among the lucky ones

Received my TT one 3 as a gift early last week. Luckily my sn is not one of the ones effected. Hope all works well for those effected soon.

Wow..

Cannot believe this is happening... I just bought four from Radioshack in Atlanta GA and they are all defective! For some reason these things are the hottest GPS system out for Christmas and are sold out everywhere. A lot of people are going to be very disappointed with their Christmas gifts.

Did Black Friday precede these problems?

Does anyone know if TT One 3rd Edition units ordered on Black Friday from Staples were in this serial number range? My wife is giving me one for Christmas, and I'm wondering if this unit was manufactured before these problems started happening.

It sounds like many people experiencing these problems made their purchases more recently.

It also sounds like TomTom was in a mad rush to fill orders, and didn't follow their own QC processes. I'll bet that's the last time they let that happen. There's probably a TomTom manager who lost his job over this--these returns will be incredibly expensive to TomTom, not only in dollars, but also in terms of reputation. How many people who under normal circumstances would have been delighted with their shiny new TT 1 3rd Editions are now going to end up with Garmin Nuvi 200s hanging from their windshields?

:(

I'll bet that TomTom will try to make sure that retailers have enough units to take care of the exchanges that WILL happen starting the 26th.

I would imagine the reason they are so hot is the price. TT has them listed on their site at $248 (or there abouts) then you get a rebate. But most of the retailers are selling them around $148, i.e. you don't have to worry about the rebate.

I'll bet the day after Christmas this thread lights up like a pinball machine.

Just hope they all realize, in terms of getting new units, they are all behind us in line . . . :)

Ask a Question