TOMTOM one 3rd edition - white screen problems

Someone said this earlier, I should have googled this before I asked for the One 3rd!!!

I'm gonna try Best Buy, I called them and they said no problem at all about bringing it back. I told them I destroyed the box and they said "We don't care, it's going back to TomTom."

They were really trying to sell me OUT of a TomTom. I think they know of the problem.

Another one bites the dust

Yep we got hit too. Bought my husband TT for Xmas, which he was totally thrilled about since we have great past experiences with TT and just as he was bragging to me how great it works and that it finds a signal so quickly, he turned it on an BAM! White screen of death. I immediately went online to check it out and here I am in this forum. We are so disappointed.

Our SN has a 48 in it. I ordered it online from Circuit City (on Dec 15th) and today we returned it to the closest store (40 miles away) and received a full refund, but hey beats the hassle with returning by mail.

We searched high and low for another one, but they are sold out everywhere. I can't believe TT has let us all down this way. Does anyone know what TT plans to do about this? Any suggestions on another unit? We are thinking about the Garmin Nuvi 200.

...add me to the WSD list

I called TomTom and they emailed me a pre-paid Fedex label to return the unit. I was on hold for 40 minutes so I guess they're pretty busy with all these returns.

I'm disappointed but I really love the unit. I was going to return it to Circuit City but they don't have any more in stock. Everywhere around here is out so I don't have a lot of options:-

1. Return to TomTom free of charge and get a replacement in a couple of weeks.

2. Return to store for a full refund then find another online retailer with stock. Pray they send me a good one. Pay for shipping (again).

3. Return to store for a full refund and add more money for a Garmin.

4. Return to store for a full refund and wait until they get more stock (and hopefully they'll still be $150 by the time they get them).

I'm not in any rush and I really want to keep it. So I've chosen #1.

White Screen on startup

Same for me brand new unit from Futur Shop begening of S./N.: Y14487........
I send e-mail to service and wait for answer.

This is verry bad

Robert:mad:

Last edited:
My units SN is Y1248*. Bought it for my Dad as a X-mas present. Got the WSD as everybody else. Waiting for a reply from tech support. E-mailed them today.:mad:

I also have the WSD and my serial number is Y1448.....
Bought at Best Buy.

Now I have figured something out. If I hit the reset button before I turn it on it turns on as normal. I don't have to wait for the WSD and then turn it off or hit the reset button.

I have sent off a email and waiting.

Phil

Last edited:
60a906fb.jpg

Well, the unit, I sent back via the RMA, is finally about to arrive at TT in Texas. Even if they send me a new one today it'll probably be another seven days in transit.

And I just noticed this WSD thread has reached 14 thousand views and this site is crashing again . . . :eek:

I called TomTom and they emailed me a pre-paid Fedex label to return the unit. I was on hold for 40 minutes so I guess they're pretty busy with all these returns.

I'm disappointed but I really love the unit. I was going to return it to Circuit City but they don't have any more in stock. Everywhere around here is out so I don't have a lot of options:-

1. Return to TomTom free of charge and get a replacement in a couple of weeks.

2. Return to store for a full refund then find another online retailer with stock. Pray they send me a good one. Pay for shipping (again).

3. Return to store for a full refund and add more money for a Garmin.

4. Return to store for a full refund and wait until they get more stock (and hopefully they'll still be $150 by the time they get them).

I'm not in any rush and I really want to keep it. So I've chosen #1.

I got mine at Radio Shack and they told me to hold on to the one I have and when they get new stock, they will call me and we'll exchange it. At least their is a work around the WSD. Instead of powering it down, use the reset to turn it off.

TT could offer everyone a new unit and include a return shipper. That way you could at least use the one you have.

White Screen of Death TomTom One 3rd

White Screen of Death TomTom One 3rd Edition

12/27/2007

I called TomTom Technical Support this morning and they sent me directly to Product Returns. They sent me via email a prepaid Fedex label to send back to TomTom FWN Fulfillment Center in Fort Worth, TX.

Problems like this happen all the time. It is the rush to get a product out in time for Holiday Season.

If you have to do the same, I would suggest keeping emails and shipping tracking numbers just in case the TomTom gets lost in transit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I received my replacement TomTom One 3rd Edition on 01/03/2008 it was a very smooth transition.

White Screen of Death could only be explained by a hardware problem on the circuit board. This can not be fixed by software updates. The GPS needs to be return for a new one.

Last edited:
White screen of death

Christmas gift, ONE 3rd Ed. worked out of the box, a bit of problem with signing on to Tom Tom HOME, but then it seemed to update fine. Works good until power down, then new power up causes white screen of death. Reset does seem to work, but it has to recalibrate for a bit. Every power off casuses this to occur.

Returing the unit the best option at this point? Boxing day sales has probably wiped out any remaining stock.

(Tim Horton's POI's also 7 years old :(

So I was sent a email to try the following:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

In this email you will find the solution for the error on your TomTom. This solution can be used in the following situations:

? The device hangs in the start screen (splash screen)
? An SD-card with a red cross is displayed on the screen
? A picture with a red dot and white cross is displayed
? The device can?t be turned off

If you haven't already done so, please download and Install TomTom Home from http://www.tomtom.com/7602

If you don?t have a full backup of your TomTom yet we advise you to make one before continuing with the steps in this email. You can make a backup by following the steps below:

1. Reset your TomTom device: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 and connect it to your computer.
2. Click on 'Backup and Restore -> Backup' in TomTom Home 2.0
3. Enter a name for the backup and click [OK]
? IMPORTANT: When the software is asking to delete parts from the backup click [NO]

After the backup is made you delete the files from the root directory of the TomTom. Follow the steps below to do this:

1. Reset your TomTom device: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 and connect it to your computer.
2. Open My Computer in Windows, or Finder in Macintosh from your desktop and turn on your TomTom device.
3. On your screen a new removable disk appears, this is your TomTom device, click on the disk to open it.
4. You will see a list of folders and a list of loose files
5. Delete all of the loose files. IMPORTANT: The folders with their content must NOT be deleted.
5. Close the window when all files are deleted by clicking on the [x].

Next we will reinstall the application via TomTom HOME.

1. Start TomTom HOME on your computer
? TomTom Home should automatically check for updates and prompt you to install them, if not:-
2. Click on 'Update my device'. If you get the message 'No Items Available', or there is not an application to download, click on 'Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc -> Items on my computer', select the application and click on 'Add'.
3. Select the Application update.
4. Click on 'Device -> Disconnect Device', then turn off your device when it is done installing and disconnect it from your computer.
5. On a PC, in the System Tray by the computer clock, click on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon and disconnect the TomTom also in this way.

When switching on the device it should boot as normal again.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Should you wish to update your TomTom Question, please log in to your TomTom account via the TomTom website.
Click on 'Support -> My Questions History', click on the title of your question then click on 'Update Question'.

You can also attach documents to the question by clicking on 'Browse' and find the document you wish to attach to the question, then click on 'Add Attachment'.

This did not work.

I am now going to call them.

Phil

Returing the unit the best option at this point? Boxing day sales has probably wiped out any remaining stock.

The best bet is contact TomTom's service line and report the problem to them. Everything that I've been reading suggests that TomTom is aware of the issue and is replacing defective units.

Phil,

Not to be a smart a$$, but ya should've called them to begin with. They are well aware of the issue and all you have to is say I'm getting the White Screen of Death on the second power up. The tech will send you straight to a desk they have set up for this problem. Then they will tell you to send it back and will also send you a pre-paid FedEx lable.

Roger

Phil,

Not to be a smart a$$, but ya should've called them to begin with. They are well aware of the issue and all you have to is say I'm getting the White Screen of Death on the second power up. The tech will send you straight to a desk they have set up for this problem. Then they will tell you to send it back and will also send you a pre-paid FedEx lable.

Roger

I am not taking it as smart ass either.

As you may have noticed I live in Canada, now this can be a problem when trying to get a replacement item for us when dealing with US Company's. What happens is we sometimes get hit with "Duty" and "Custom charges" when we try and return. I have so far read a few people from Canada being hit with these. This is why most in Canada return to store for a new item, is to avoid this.

Phil

Ask a Question