TOMTOM one 3rd edition - white screen problems

According to the young man I talked to at Tech Support this morning, it is definitely a batch problem. Apparently, all the units were made in the same week, or maybe the same day, I don't remember which. Point is, it is definitely a batch problem.

I called Tech Support back this afternoon to see if I could get a range of serial numbers. They don't have that information at Tech Support. The young fella this morning said you can tell what week it was made. So if anyone knows how to crack a TomTom One 3 serial code, we could work from that.

Serial Number in question

I talked to Tech support and they told me that they believe is any serial number that contains 46,47 or 48 ... mine is Y1148 :(

Well, now at least I will know what to look for when I try to return it for an exchange.

Being in Canada, TT will not send me a RMA posted paid package. They say that I will have to pay for the postage as based on custom regulation they would be responsible for anything that is shipped with this package.

What a crock, brand new hardware and now I might have to pay for shipping.

If anyone of you get some type of good "compensation" for the trouble, let us know your Ticket#, so we can reference it and get the same goodies for our trouble.

I talked to Tech support and they told me that they believe is any serial number that contains 46,47 or 48 ... mine is Y1148 :(
The S/N on my 3rd edition - which is working - is Y1346. In the rest of the numbers/letters of the S/N, there's one character that I can hardly read. It's eighth character - right after the letter 'D' and looks like a ? (with diagnal line thru it), or... small letter 'e' that's tilted. This is not important, just curious if others have a similar character.

Sheesh! Could they have made the S/N any smaller? I had to use a magnifying glass and go outside in the sunlight to read it. :rolleyes:

Sheesh! Could they have made the S/N any smaller? I had to use a magnifying glass and go outside in the sunlight to read it. :rolleyes:

If you use the TTHOME application and go under Help and then select system info ... you will get a display that inclues you S/N.

As for your S/N matching and yet still working, it could be that you are prior to the start of the issue as you are in the 46 Range ... Count yourself Lucky, cause it S... to buy something new for a xmas present which you know you have to return and on top of it ... pay for the return!

Much easier reading the SN via help menu. Thanks.

Plz don't think I'm gloating because my unit is working. I really feel for all of you. I know what it's like having a Christmas present that doesn't work. Many years ago we got our kids an Atari game system. An all important part was missing from the box. The kids were pretty upset being only 5 and 8 at the time. The 5-yo (now in his 30s and an EE) just bought a Wii for his kids. He opened it up to make sure all the parts were there and it worked before wrapping it. He said he remembered that Christmas many years ago with the Atari.

Hoping TT folks get their act together and do what's right and replace all these units quickly.

Just got off the phone with TT tech. they said the rma labels won't be sent out for 5-10 business days!! This is not what I signed up for when I bought my gps. I think I will go back to the store and get a different brand.:mad:

my number is

Y1248 cool that we got that info. now when i go exchange i will look for the one that doesn't have that range.

Got an exchange, I will open after I have finished my prayer :p

Just got back from BestBuy and got an exchange, this one as S/N Y1738 ... will let you all know if this one works in a few hours ... would be faster but this packaging is brutal :p

My bad one is a 48 . . .

Does anyone have a real E-mail addy for TT support. The return address on the E-mails they send (outside of their website) is the bogus "[email protected]".

On the 20th they sent me an E-mail saying they would send me another E-mail that explains the RMA process.:rolleyes: And so far the second E-mail hasn't arrived . . .

Arrggg

Why can't this be easy ... I have attached my TT to my laptop and power it on, now my TT Home is giving me an error as it is probably married to the old s/n!!!

Error Message>

You can not change your device code at this time. Your device code can only be changed once every six months. Please contact Customer Support if you require any assistance.

After yelling at tt tech about the long wait times for the return label it magically appeared in my email.

Exchanged worked

The exchange at the store with a device that has S/N Y1738 device work, the TT one 3rd edition now is working without the white screen. But it was not has simple as powering it up as the TT home application when logging you in has some checks and these were bound to my old WHITE high tech paper weight, after 30 min on the phone they were resetted by the Tech Support guy and everything worked .... power on power off ... NO WHITE SCREEN :D :D

If you do not feel like waiting for the reset then you can always create yourself another account :p

Hope all you guys can find anotherone that works quickly ... remember to stay away from the numbers 46,47 & 48 :D

Last edited:
I just received my RMA return lable via email. The tech I talked to yesterday said it probably wouldn't be delievered until Monday. Sounds like they are giving a huge lead time so you are presently suprised when you get it early.

Last edited:
Received my RMA label via the FedX website and dropped my unit off at FedX-Kinkos this afternoon. I hope it doesn't take too long. With my TomTom packed in the box for shipping I got friggin lost on the way to the Kinkos . . . :)

Bought one @FRYS.com ... had same problem,called TomTom Tech support , the guy right away admitted the white screen problem ,Repair or replacement he promised...asked me to sent it back to TOMTOM (shipping charges will be beared by TOMTOM )

Received shipping lables via e-mail

It seems Entire TOMTOM tech support Unit in USA is backedup with this 3rd edition white screen problem. Its big blow to the TOMTOM reputation.It looks like Couple of batches were released in 1000s without any quality check

Last edited:
found a 1541 at radio shack

y1541 should work? I found this at RadioShack, and the new tom-tom text-to-speech just came in $300

salesperson was trying to sell me this GPS unit called mia, never heard of it doesn't look good, its text-to-speech..he was saying it's better than the tom-tom.

so going to take my defective unit back to target get my money back and go to RadioShack.

For all those expecting their GPS unit repaired or replaced soon :

Here is the bad news:

TOMTOM repair center would be closed from Dec.21st to Jan 3rd,2008 for christmas & new year vacation.

so till jan3rd no repairs, no replacements.. they would be only receiving malfunctioning 3rd edition TOMTOMs.

Once they re-open , they start repair OR replace all these 100s of UNITS

That is the notice i read on their website yesterday

so , those all who are returning this week can expect your piece back by END OF JANUARY

HAPPY WAITING

Last edited:
another one

just received one from Crutchfield with S/N 1747 and white screen problem. trying everything to wipe off the software and reload but understand this may be futile if it is a hardware problem:eek:

Ask a Question