Tom-Tom One XL - not recognizing memory card

What if you:
1. Make a manual, not Home, backup. See here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/thread...-to-the-computer-and-how-to-restore-it.17864/

2. Connect to Home-->Manage my Unit-->Items on Device-->Application, select to remove. Items on Computer-->application, select to remove.

3. Remove device from Home properly using the Device Disconnect icon and restart the device. Shut Home and restart.

4. Connect to computer. See if an application is offered in Home and, if so, download and install.

Like this:

Screen054.png

Bump. Dra, please advise 1st two characters of your unit's serial number. Without that, we're likely to give you a bum steer here.

.. assuming, of course, that your unit serial number begins with "L3". Please confirm. There are 10 different versions of the ONE XL

Thanks all,

I have uploaded a pdf file with the screen shot of My Computer.

The serial number of the unit is L3223xxxxxx

Attachments

• Document1.pdf
    69 KB · Views: 230
OK. So here's the score. Your unit has ZERO internal memory. All that it does and knows must occur from the content of the card, and you're missing a boatload of info there if what you reported earlier is all there is on that card.

The fact that the firmware is missing isn't a big deal - TomTom Home will gladly replace that under normal circumstances. The problem is going to be the map.

It is at this juncture where we (ahem) ask if you have ever (previous to this 'event') taken time to back your unit up to your PC, or have ever purchased a map update for it.

I have backed up the unit on my PC, but the old comp lost all the memory due to the faulty HDD.

Never purchased an update previously from TomTom.

:D

Do I actually need another memory card?

Not sure how to put the info back into the card and make the thing working again.

@dhn
From what I've been able to understand so far, there wasn't a complete system on the card when it was backed up, so there won't be a complete system restored, either.
Honestly - if the maps are missing, this is going to be ugly, and may require some begging/groveling with Customer Support to get a new set issued.

I'm thinking it may be time for the OP to consider forgetting about the unit completely and moving on........

Thanks guys, its hard to believe that a fault at the memory card would result in the unit being simply discarded.

I'm willing to try and fix the unit, as this one worked really nice before the problems started recently.

Where do I start please and whom from Tom Tom should I contact to start the ball rolling?

The problem is that for your particular unit, the vast majority of its brains are on that card. That's true for just a few models that have no internal flash memory capacity apart from the boot code that wakes it up.

You don't show any location, so I'm going to have a look at your IP address to figure out where you are.....

Ah, good thing I did that. Here's the Customer Support number down under >>> 1300 135 604

There's no telling whether or not they still have a supply of the pre-loaded cards available to help you out, but it's worth one shot before you bin the unit.

Thanks.

Before I contact the customer service I wanted to ask: if I have another One XL handy and copy the content of the memory card into my card, would my unit then work??

I'm not super familiar with these 0 memory units, but in other cases, the MAPS cannot be moved from one device to another successfully. They are keyed to the serial number of the unit.

Ask a Question