Tom-Tom One XL - not recognizing memory card

Dra

Hi everyone,

Just trying to figure out what's wrong with my ONE XL .. it was working fine for ages, now when switched on it shows like there is no memory card in, and it doesn't go to menu page. It only shows the symbol of memory card, and the red crossed symbol over the card icon (like there is no card inserted).

I have puled the card out and cleaned it with a good contact cleaner however there is no change?!?

I have tried holding the start button for 5+ seconds, but there is no change, still shows like there is no memory card inserted.

Any idea guys?

Cheers

Joanna

Last edited:
I have tried both ...

If I hold the start button, I can hear the drums, but the screen stays on showing my SD card with a red cross over it (over the card symbol).

Tried to hold the reset button for as long as 2 minutes, but nothing happens. The device doesn't reset.

Any more ideas please?!

Joanna

How can I put the card into a PC? There is no slot in the PC for the SD card.

Joanna

Thanks. What should I do with the card reader? Connect to a PC and read the content or something else, thanks??

Last edited:
Dra said:
If I hold the start button, I can hear the drums, but the screen stays on showing my SD card with a red cross over it (over the card symbol).
Thanks. What should I do with the card reader? Connect to a PC and read the content or something else, thanks??
Yes, read the content.
That way you will find out if the problem is with the card or your One XL.

Nice to have in any case, especially if you use one in a camera.

Ok guys, the memory card reader arrived.
In My Computer it shows as Removabel Disc F.
When I double click I can see one folder namely: gl, and another file namely: tthome.bif
When I click on folder gl, I can see another forlder: Log
When I click on Log its empty and doesnn't show anything in the folder.

What's next?

Thanks guys.

Joanna

I know you are anxious but you will have to wait until one of the other moderators pops in here who is more familiar as what should be on the card for your device.
BTW, since you started with Memory Card problem none of us has asked you what you see under the drive letter once you connect to the PC.

It will most likely be something like Removabel Disc E.

Yes, you said that before.

Before you connect the One XL to the USB port on your computer, open Windows Explorer and see how many drive letters there are shown.
Typically you will see
Local Disk (C: )
CD-ROM Drive (D: )

Now plug in the device with the USB cable.
Without HOME running already, you are usually asked if you want to connect to the computer. Tap the YES button.

Now, check back with Windows Explorer and in addition to the (C: ) and (D: ) drives above you should also see
Removable Disk (E: )
Removable Disk (F: )

(E: ) should be the Internal Memory of your device.
Click on the [+] to the left of it so that it expands and show you what folders are on there.

Please let us know what you see.

That will also be shown on your computer as a Drive letter

When I double click I can see one folder namely: gl, and another file namely: tthome.bif

What's next?

Thanks guys.

Joanna
There's no system on the card. How it disappeared is anyone's guess .. assuming, of course, that your unit serial number begins with "L3". Please confirm. There are 10 different versions of the ONE XL

Removable Disk (E: )
Removable Disk (F: )
There were some versions with zero internal memory that ran off the card alone, so we need to see the answer to the above, first. With zero memory, it will appear as a single external drive, not two of them.

There were some versions with zero internal memory that ran off the card alone,
Yes, but I presumed this to be one with internal memory since the SD card has the Drive Letter F: and unless Dra uses a second HDD I doubt that F would have been the next free one.

As far as content is concerned I won't interfere with your suggestions.

Thanks guys,

I have trieds with IE and the result is the same. All I can see is as before:
----------------
----------------------
In IE it apears as a single drive F
The serial number of the device starts with L3

Cheers
Joanna

You mean Windows Explorer, the file manager and NOT Internet Explorer, the browser?

L3 equates to ONE XL (TomTom HOME)

Ask a Question