"This functionality is not yet supported for your combination of your navigation...."

Yikes - HOME is all confused - App 8.351 never was supposed to be installed on an XXL.

There are multiple flavors of the XXL, so it's difficult to provide the proper manual information to you.

Why don't you try renaming mydocuments\tomtom\home\download to mydocuments\tomtom\home\downloadOLD, and try the uninstall/reinstall steps from the link again.

Tomtom will install an app in the 8.x range, then ask to reboot the Tomtom, then install app 9.053.

sorry, it is 8.551, but after it is installed, the unit just does not reboot.
it stays at the tomtom screen for 10 minutes, no action.

btw, thanks for the help and sorry for the typo.:(

- Pat

note: I did waht you are proposing twice, still no luck

Last edited:
Your going through the same thing I went through Patri.

I had a support call the other day where I was paced through the steps of re-installing the App like what you are doing.

We deleted the existing App, whereas TTH then wanted us to install 8.??? This caused my TTs screen to roll very fast like many other posters here have described. We went back to TTH and now we were asked to install V9.05?

My TT continued to roll after the 9.05? update and the support person wanted to RMA my unit.

My TT shipped with 9.061 that was backed up via explorer. The only thing that would stop my TT from rolling is the restore of the software from when it came out of the box.

App 8.??? introduced my problem. The update to 9.05? did not step on what was corrupted from App 8.???

Summary, the application 8.??? And 9.05?? caused my 540TMs screen to roll and became unresponsive. The replacement of App 9.061 put it back to stable functioning order.

I really hope you have a backup of the unit after it came out of the box.

No unfortunately, First Backup I took was after 9.056 got installed.
I had done the update as soon as it got connected :(
anyway to get these 9.053 or 9.061 otherwise?

rgds, Pat

Last edited:
It's quite possible that 9.056 and 9.061 are appropriate for your model. Tomtom sometimes changes component suppliers in future product runs, and it's possible that these previously unknown apps are needed to recognize the new hardware.

In any case, if you're on 8.551, connect the Tomtom to the USB cable, and hold the power button until you hear the drumrolls. The Tomtom should reconnect to USB and allow you to install 9.053.

It's quite possible that 9.056 and 9.061 are appropriate for your model. Tomtom sometimes changes component suppliers in future product runs, and it's possible that these previously unknown apps are needed to recognize the new hardware.

In any case, if you're on 8.551, connect the Tomtom to the USB cable, and hold the power button until you hear the drumrolls. The Tomtom should reconnect to USB and allow you to install 9.053.

yes it is possible,
but find it strange that feature like Operate my device says not supported!
shouldnt that be available with all units?

rgds, Pat

A couple years back, Tomtom had a number of devices pre-installed with app 8.014, but Operate my device didn't work on that app version.

Owners had to do the same steps to downgrade to 8.010 to get Operate my Device working.

Seems like deja vu to me, but this is all brand new developments so you never know. As always, we're relying on our forum members to post their problems and fixes to see if we can notice patterns and help others.

I would like to know why the TTH updater does not offer 9.061

I seem to remember previous 540TM threads many weeks ago where their units were rolling right out of the box. Then suppliers ran out of inventory (I had to wait) until my vendor could get more and ship me a unit. I am insinuating TT discovered the issue and the next batch of units got sent out with a new app patch to the 9.061. Of course I dont really know...

yes it is possible,
but find it strange that feature like Operate my device says not supported!
shouldnt that be available with all units?

rgds, Pat

Maybe we will hear from you again when you start fumbling around with Map Share :p I did my time and got it working. Maybe there are threads out there with a direct solution but I did not see any.

=========
P.S.

Oh yes... and for what it is worth, Operate My Device does not do anything for me either. I never was asked to DL anything like what dhn mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
I am a geek when it comes to exploring every little aspect/features :p.

Except for the fact that the apps says
"Tomtom app gor Go, XL, One and Rider" at the moment this is not impacting any functional aspect.
I got a very good price for a unlimited T&M unit, I ve got not complaints.

I guess my only concern is when they come with new App, I might get stuck with no way to update since the revert to 8.551 is not working!!! But will see then.

thks everyone.
_pat

Maybe we will hear from you again when you start fumbling around with Map Share :p I did my time and got it working. Maybe there are threads out there with a direct solution but I did not see any.

<snip>
To ehunter,

I wonder... since you had to restore your 540 from a backup on your computer, I'm guessing the reason your map-share is working is because you're back to the 855 (or older) map? What map do you show now installed? (tap satellite bars; tap version #; check map version). I just didn't want readers to think if they "did their time" (as you wrote) that they would get map-share working on 860 map. ;)

Thanks.

Last edited:
For those NOT getting mapshares on the 860 map for the 540 model, please post the following information:

1. Tap the satellite bars on your screen to show the version number. Now, tap the version number to show more information including the map installed and its version.

Report both the app version including the value on both sides of the second decimal point. For example: 9.053.520930.2

And the map version, all numbers. For example:
North_America_2GB v860.3121

Thanks.

Your exactly right Rick.

I spent time back and forth restoring the out of box back up with the newer downloaded map via explorer once I had the newer map.

It was tricky doing this because other files on the TT operating system are written to once the unit gets registered with map share and there was no way I knew of to re-set the registration. So I used the msft tool called "windiff" to compare the virgin out of box backup with the working software and ID the files that got updated. This way I was able to copy over just a few files instead of completely re-installing/replacing the software.

Anyway, bottom line is, map 845.2670 worked with map share out of the box and I get an update about every other day. Simulating 8.60 being out of the box did not work, and freshly downloading the 860 map via Tomtoms procedural update process did not work either for my 540TM. All the countries information is not there or disappears in either case.

I got onto a different tangent with this problem because TT phone support wanted to try replacing the App instead of downgrading the map. Other threads I am involved with here describe the rolling that is introduced with lower versions of the application from what I have.

You got my data DHN.

No map share on my 540tm using the 860.xxx map (Don?t want to reinstall the 860 to get you the sub-numbers). App is 9.061.576030.2 This might warrant a new thread sticky so that everybody sees it and can contribute.

Much ado...

I'd MUCH prefer to have map 860 (vs. earlier) than depend upon an earlier map + mapshare changes. Why would one go that route?!?

Because you?re only doing this temporarily until the bad map gets fixed possibly 12 weeks from now.

In the mean time, your getting to know the unit and practicing with the designed and WORKING functionality.

I think non-professional drivers are less likely to be impacted by the updated map. I can even argue that the map changes that happen around you are very very small and the chances of you confronting them, are very very small for that 12 week time span. I would rather know about a closed road than have an updated map with changes I will most likely never confront in my lifetime much less that 12 week time span.

That's why :cool:

Because you?re only doing this temporarily until the bad map gets fixed possibly 12 weeks from now.

In the mean time, your getting to know the unit and practicing with the designed and WORKING functionality.

I think non-professional drivers are less likely to be impacted by the updated map. I can even argue that the map changes that happen around you are very very small and the chances of you confronting them, are very very small for that 12 week time span. I would rather know about a closed road than have an updated map with changes I will most likely never confront in my lifetime much less that 12 week time span.

That's why :cool:
The odds of a change occurring in your area being reflected by a new map release are quite a bit better than seeing a change in the few MapShare updates that occur in between releases. There's not much to "practicing" with MapShare from an inbound standpoint. They either get uploaded to your unit with regular updates or they don't.

OTOH: There's nothing preventing a user from practicing with the side that really needs the practice -- making changes that they find on their end. At least some of us will also get the benefit of their efforts (MapShare seems to be working here for the moment), and apart from added roads, their own units will reflect their changes immediately.

The odds of a change occurring in your area being reflected by a new map release are quite a bit better than seeing a change in the few MapShare updates that occur in between releases.

It all depends. If your usage is in well developed cities that are all grown out, like Manhattan or San Francisco, your just about never going to see a map change until Kingdom come. The chance of getting something on a map share I believe would be on the order of magnitudes better. We don't have to agree...it just my opinion. I only think that my usages in a non-sprawling area aren't anything to sweat over having a map that is 12weeks behind.

There's not much to "practicing" with MapShare from an inbound standpoint. They either get uploaded to your unit with regular updates or they don't.

I struggled with re-placing POIs that were 400yds off earlier on. For what its worth, the 860 map placed my home address 300 yds down the street. When I went back to the previous map, my home address was SPOT ON ! This made it even easier to accept the previous map not to mention being able to play with map share. Then when 860 is updated in 12 weeks I will either accept the change if things were fixed or ride it out longer.

=================
Edit - you know it just occurred to me a map change is more than just adding a new street now and then. POIs change everywhere, especially in cities where new businesses take the places of old. But still, 12 weeks is going to be a very very minor impact I am willing to fore go to study map share for awhile.

Last edited:
...you know it just occurred to me a map change is more than just adding a new street now and then. POIs change everywhere, especially in cities where new businesses take the places of old.
No kidding. In this economic climate, restaurants are particularly variable in a POI list. There was some discussion the other day of trying to edit those POI that come with the maps, so I'll reiterate the answer to that one for anyone that missed it.

POI that come with your TT map (not a 3rd party one that you add after the fact) are changed in the same section of your menu system as map changes are made. You can use "Edit POI" to edit the location of a TomTom supplied POI, delete it, rename it, or even shove it over into another category if you think it was miscategorized. It's also possible to add new entries to the supplied list using "Add missing POI". Your unit will reflect these changes locally, and if you have selected to share that info with others, will go out through the MapShare system when you connect your TT to their servers for updates.

App is 9.061.576030.2 This might warrant a new thread sticky so that everybody sees it and can contribute.

Do you mind pulling some more info for us? It might help explain all the issues with the XXL devices.

1) Near where it says the app number, there is a boot number. What is the boot number on your device?
2) What are the first 2 letters of your serial number (on the bottom of the Tomtom)

Ask a Question