"This functionality is not yet supported for your combination of your navigation...."

The app downgrade isn't a 100% "true" downgrade, as part of the newer apps is written to the bootloader and irreversible.

My guess is that the newer bootloaders won't work on the older apps, causing the screen flash.

If that is the case, then there isn't anything you can manually do to resolve the issue. Bootloaders aren't manually downgradable.

You'd just have to call Tomtom and report the issue. The more reports they get the more they'll prioritize a fix.

Well huge thks to dhn in this thread, my issues are resolved (except mapshare which seems related to the map v860 and not the apps)

Operate My XXL is functional, all the rest is nice :)

1. apps = Now 9.058.568435.1 (was 9.056.552648)
  2. Bootloader= 5.5274
  3. Map= USA_Canada_and_Mexico V860.3121
  4. First 2 letters of serial = RZ
  5. Tomtom home version 2.8.2146 tested on both Win7 64bits and XP 32bits

_pat

Thanks for the feedback. Make an Explorer backup......again. Different folder. :)

(to canderson: I've added to our thread.......)

The downgrade to 9.058 did it for me! Home downloaded the extra file as dhn explained at the beginning of this thread and all is well.

Will we know when it's safe to upgrade or should we just stay where we are? Or upgrade at some point and restore from the last good backup if it doesn't work?

Thanks so much everybody!

~Carol~

Will we know when it's safe to upgrade or should we just stay where we are? Or upgrade at some point and restore from the last good backup if it doesn't work?
Given what firmware is now running successfully on your unit, my head hurts. It's what I've got on my GO740 :eek:

After making the usual full backup, I'd keep running exactly the software you have until such time as we sort out what the next update is when it comes down the road for the XXL540. Until we all see (and some guinea pig tests/confirms) the application and boot loader versions that tie together on a future update, I'd put off any more firmware updates. The reason I say this is that while you can always roll back your firmware with a quick copy from your backup folder, the accompanying boot code does NOT roll back when you do this. It moves forward only, and not all firmware versions and boot code versions are designed to play well together. That you seem to have a "matched set" right now is a surprise to several of us, and while we're pleased, we don't quite know what to think of it yet. I certainly don't.

So hang tight until new firmware is released, and let us know when you see it pop up in Home. At that time, we'll figure out how to assess things again.

Given what firmware is now running successfully on your unit, my head hurts. It's what I've got on my GO740 :eek:

My unit is a XXL540TM WTE and it got updated by TTHOME to 9.056 which seems for suited for "Go, XL, One and Rider" (at least that is the description in TTHome).
The apps 9.058 was really intented for what units originally? is xxl540 part of them?

thanks, _pat

My unit is a XXL540TM WTE and it got updated by TTHOME to 9.056 which seems for suited for "Go, XL, One and Rider" (at least that is the description in TTHome).
The apps 9.058 was really intented for what units originally? is xxl540 part of them?

thanks, _pat
The particular flavor of 9.058 you now have was released for the GO540 and GO740. The XXL540 was definitely not part of that release! Over in the moderators' thread area, we're all just scratching our heads, crossing our fingers, and celebrating the win. dhn originally suggested this to a user whose XXL540 was in far worse functional shape, but we're pleased to see it's helping others as well. It's certainly not likely to be a universal panacea -- it's still necessary for us to pay attention to boot loader versions. Yours happens to fit within a range we suspect will support this "other" firmware when we encounter it.

Yeah I will leave it as is until a proven update is available since everything is working.

Also found in another thread that there is two versions:
v9.058.568435.1 for Go x40 and X50 models, and
v9.058.568435.2 for XL and XXL models

and the one I have currently is .1 (thus for a Go , not a XXL :confused:) , will not push my luck further.

Will wait for a new proven Apps version to be released (or at the very least for TThome updates to be corrected such that we can do a real/update to a XXL 9.058 apps)

thks, Pat

Just FYI if it helps - The firmware I installed on my XXL540TM was definitely for the GO - Full name:

9058.go540-go740_navcore-GO.cab

Thanks to all of you for hanging in there with us and getting us back on the road (so to speak)!

~Carol~

I have 2 XXL 540TM units purchased from Amazon last month. After updating through Home2 I also have the map out of date and mapshare not supported error message. I cannot use "operate my device" but I can use "manage my device". The units work fine as far as I can tell. This is the update data I have on both units:

App 9.061.576030.2 OS 567329
( 1034, 9/15/2010 )
64MB RAM ( free 17.4MB )
GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5279
Map: `USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P` v860.3121
Language: English US

Hope this helps with the diagnosis.

Oliver

I have 2 XXL 540TM units purchased from Amazon last month. After updating through Home2 I also have the map out of date and mapshare not supported error message. I cannot use "operate my device" but I can use "manage my device". The units work fine as far as I can tell. This is the update data I have on both units:

( 1034, 9/15/2010 )
64MB RAM ( free 17.4MB )
GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5279

Hope this helps with the diagnosis.

Oliver
fyi,
beleive they are also looking for the first two letters of the serial, something like rx or rz..

_pat

Last edited:
The bootloader on the GO app and the XXL 9.058 app are identical.

Tomtom apps are self-restricting, limiting their features set to the device they are loaded on.

Since the GO model does everything an XXL does, I expect the 9.058 app to work fine until Tomtom fixes HOME to recognize the XXL app as valid.

Hello Everyone
I have a new XXL540 TM WTE.
I tried to connect to my device using the HOME "Operate My Device". I also tried to send trip directions using the Google Send to GPS option. In both cases I got the "famous" error:
"This functionality is not yet supported for your combination of your navigation device, devices application version and your computers operating system"

I tried this on two different desktops.
One running Win 7 Professional 64-bit TomTom Home Ver. 2.8 and one Win XP TomTom Home Ver. 2.7.
I got the same error on both.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
David
*** Update *** *** Update *** *** Update *** *** Update ***

Hello Again
After struggling for a few weeks with my unit and TomTom's Customer service they agreed to issue a RMA and replace my unit. The new unit arrived and this time I decided to do the minimal updates as possible. I updated only a QuickFix file and other tiny POI file. I didn't update the U.S_Canada.... map because I didn't want to get into this mess again for now. Maybe when the updates will be more stable I'll perform the map updates.
I hope TomTom will fix the compatibility problem between the unit and TomTom Home.
Good Luck everyone

Last edited:
Be sure to backup your device using Windows explorer... and not TT HOME.

Just my take on Tom Tom GPS

Hi all,

I have read this entire thread and many others in this forum and I have a few comments to make. I don't know if it will make any difference or not but here goes. I now have the Tom Tom 550TM and although my operate my XXL feature is working and I have the latest maps (860.3121) and app version (9.151). I do have the problem with mapshare maps updates not working and saying it's 20 weeks old etc...Before I got my 550TM I had the 330S, I still have this unit and purchased a years worth of map updates. After the last time I updated the 330S I noticed the same mapshare out of date 20 weeks problems with that unit as well. I was told by Tom Tom that when the map is that new there is not any mapshare updates and in a few weeks I should start seeing mapshare updates again.....This Never happened and to this day it's still a problem.

Not only that, both units are seriously flawed when it come to routes. If I put a location in either unit and navagate to that location, when I get there the location is at least 50 to 60 yards differant than what the tom tom says it's suppose to be. Very rarely does either unit put me spot on for a location...Also if I took the time to correct all the wrong POI's and other errors on the maps then why do I need updated maps?? I have ran across more POI's, wrong streets, turns that the unit says you can't make but you can, and other map errors it's just impossible to make all these corrections. I was traveling down a divided highway today and although the 550TM showed the middle part of the highway to be solid, it didn't show that you could acutally make a left hand turn every so often into a street to the left. I am a service tech and use my device every day to many locations each day, I also have a person helping me and sometimes we travel to the same location, he has a Garmin. So it's like this, his garmin says go this way, and my tom tom says go a differant way. I am having a hard time believing that who ever does these maps for Tom Tom really know what they are doing. I really like the 550TM but really wish it was more accurate and didn't have so many issues, and have though many time about swapping it for a Garmin.

Just my 2cents worth.

P.S. the first two letters in my serial number is GL
HamRadioNut

Last edited:

( 1034, 9/15/2010 )
64MB RAM ( free 17.4MB )
GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5279

I picked up one of the Amazon Black Friday XXL 540TM's, too. Same things work and don't work; I've got the same specs showing as Oliver reported. (RX serial number, too).

So I guess I don't add much to the dataset at this point. I just got around to joining the forum today and this is one of the first threads I've read. Major thanks to the old-timers for helping us newbies get a lay of the land.

I'm making an Explorer backup now, and may give a try for the GO firmware update that Carol reported worked for her.

Also, I'll just add in light of HamRadioNut's observations above about map accuracy, that I've been impressed with the accuracy and detail of the maps in my rural area. I say this coming from a Garmin nuvi 255w previously. I thought the Garmin maps good, but I see things like private lanes and longer driveways on the Tomtom that did not show on the Garmin.

Well, I have good news and bad news. :) :confused:

I did the Explorer backup, deleted the root files (kept the folders and contents), and hooked up to Home2.

I was offered and accepted the 8.555(? I think) app for the XXL 530s (only option). Installed, powered off/on, connected to Home2 again, and was offered upgrade to 9.053 app; declined.

Went to "Operate My XXL", was offered and accepted the download file. Emulator works! But as going through the initial setup on the emulator, it said it found no maps.

Disconected, powered off/on and tried setup on the device itself. I got pretty much the same results, getting to a point that says it can find no maps.

Home2 verifies that I have the USA_Canada_and_Mexico map in a folder on the 540. I am presuming I need to copy a file or two back from my backup. I'll go poke around there, but if anyone has a suggestion to offer I'm all ears.

Update to above: "currentmap.dat" seemed like a good candidate, so I gave that a shot: no joy. Lacking anything better to do, I allowed Home to update to the 9.053 app. With a few hangs and reboots, I was able to get through the setup to a functional GPS again. I think I may go ahead and restore my 9.061 setup from the backup and just wait for something to develop here or from Tomtom.

Last edited:

Ask a Question