"This functionality is not yet supported for your combination of your navigation...."

Operate my XXL

i just updated my xxl540m. the operate my device function does not work anymore (but i can live without it) nor does the backup and restore function. i found a different thread that recommended not using the tt backup/restore, to just put it on the desktop instead (which i did do). but is this going to be a discontinued function also?
it is running application 9.061 and map 865.3254

I just updated my XXL550TM and when the update finished I noticed the operate my xxl and backup & restore was grayed out. I had to disconnect my XXL and then reconnect it, once I did that then tom tom ask me to download the required file.

Hope this Helps.
HamRadioNut

to davids777:
yes, i am connected to the internet (always) and i am logged into my tt account.

to dhn:
okay. i tried that. three times. no help. even tried uninstalling and reinstalling then tried resetting home again. still no luck.

to hamradionut:
THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! why i didn't realize turning it off and telling it disconnect wasn't the same thing as physically removing the cable, i will never know. but it worked, so i am eternally appreciative!!!

I'll try this tonight.

BTW - Here's the response I JUST got back from TomTom support last night.

"
I understand that you get an error message saying that 'Operate My XXL' function still does not work even after performing all the steps in the previous email. We apologize for the inconvenience caused..

"This issue has been reported by many people have reported it. Our technicians are working on the issue and a solution will be provided in the next version of TomTom HOME software, though the exact time is unknown as yet."

I have the 9.061 app and same OS.

Tonight, just to kill another few hours, I'll delete TomTomHome, make sure to flush all the TomTom folders on the entire machine except for my explorer backups, and then try it all over again. MapShare and Quick GPS updates are working fine.

Should I have to do anything else other than flush the software and cycle power to the unit?

I'll try this tonight.

BTW - Here's the response I JUST got back from TomTom support last night.

"
I understand that you get an error message saying that 'Operate My XXL' function still does not work even after performing all the steps in the previous email. We apologize for the inconvenience caused..

"This issue has been reported by many people have reported it. Our technicians are working on the issue and a solution will be provided in the next version of TomTom HOME software, though the exact time is unknown as yet."

I have the 9.061 app and same OS.

Tonight, just to kill another few hours, I'll delete TomTomHome, make sure to flush all the TomTom folders on the entire machine except for my explorer backups, and then try it all over again. MapShare and Quick GPS updates are working fine.

Should I have to do anything else other than flush the software and cycle power to the unit?

@lfdal54
I didn't have to do anything other than start TomTom Home software, connect my XXL540TM and then click on "Operate My XXL". Then it asked permission to initiate a download and after the download - it just WORKED! Amazing.
So try that first before you go through uninstalling and so forth...that may not be necessary.

@lfdal54
I didn't have to do anything other than start TomTom Home software, connect my XXL540TM and then click on "Operate My XXL". Then it asked permission to initiate a download and after the download - it just WORKED! Amazing.
So try that first before you go through uninstalling and so forth...that may not be necessary.
I just updated my TT with the new App 9.061. Whenever you update the App, HOME says your unit has to reboot and to say "Yes" if asked to reconnect to computer. The operate my XL is grayed out that first time. I had to "safely disconnect device", close HOME, then reconnect TT to the computer another time. THEN operate my XL wasn't grayed out. When I clicked on 'operate my XL' HOME said it needed to download another file for this to work. Evidently the file is a different version than what was needed for my earlier application (9.056).

Don't know why, but after reconnecting my XL-335TM, WinXP started looking for another device driver - even though it connected to HOME okay. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
xxl 540m

Well, I arrived home from my business trip and started playing with my PND. I expected the worst but am happy to report that I am pleasantly surprised. I first checked to see what was installed and found it has app version 9.061, then I did a Explorer backup. I then installed tomtom Home and ran it. Before I did any updates, I started poking around and tried the "Operate my XXL" option. I was not expecting it to work but it did! I also uploaded a route from Google maps with no problems. I then updated the map, did another backup and tried everything again and it all worked. So - so far, so good. I have to say thank you to everyone that gave me tips and advice, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
@lfdal54

Had to swing by the house for a few minutes at lunch, so I figured I'd just give it a shot w/o uninstalling the Home software. First, It automatically checked for the updates, did a Mapshare and a QuickGPS update. Then I got brave and clicked on the "Operate MyXXL" feature. It said it needed to download a file for the feature to work.

Sooooo.....I downloaded the file and it works!!

Tonight I'll start messing with downloading a route. Getting that to work would be icing on the cake.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

XXL540TM Now OK

I purchased this from Amazon on 1/31/2011
and the several features mentioned frequently did not work.

As of 3/11/2011 everything seems ok after reconnecting to HOME and trying the features including downloading from Google Maps

Brand new (delivered yesterday) XXL 540TM WTE.

Installed a new download of Home on a computer that had never had it installed previously, created a new TomTom account (because stupidly you can only link one device to each email address).

Connected the XXL 540.

Home immediately prompts to update the installed app, so I let it do that.

Device now bricks on the TomTom logo. When I look in Home under Manage MyXXL it shows App 8.551 27mb, on the device it shows App 8.551 9.8Mb.

Tried removing and reinstalling the app several times, Home always downloads and installs 8.551, always 9.8Mb on the device. It may be unrelated but each time Home connects it prompts me to link the device to my account, suggesting that it hasn't recorded the link from the previous time.

Question: Does 8.551 actually work on this device? I read lots of accounts of people using App 9.xx but Home does not appear willing to offer that as a choice for me.

I didn't perform a backup first because it never occurred to me that I should. This is my thrid TomTom device and the first time I've encountered a problem such as this.

Thanks in advance for any help

Kevin

Disconnect the unit from Home properly. (using the Device Disconnect icon).

Reconnect to Home and you should be offered a newer application. Keep the process going till you reach 9.061.

Disconnect the unit from Home properly. (using the Device Disconnect icon).

Reconnect to Home and you should be offered a newer application. Keep the process going till you reach 9.061.

Is there a magic number of times to attempt this? Each time the screen showing available updates tells me everything is up to date.

Kevin

It may be unrelated but each time Home connects it prompts me to link the device to my account, suggesting that it hasn't recorded the link from the previous time.

Keven - what email account did you use? I know that you stated you created a new one; on a computer which had never had Home installed; but you also state that you have 2 other TT devices.

And your 'link' question sounds like: "Do you wish to link this device to your account? You can do this only once every six months..."

With a couple of other options thrown in as well. So, if your getting a 'link' or change the account question - you would seem to have some difficulty with your account and this new TT device.

It could also be possible - that your 'new' device was one previously purchased; and someone returned it. Because they didn't like how it worked or did not work. And activated the map codes, etc. So now, it is linked to that previous short time owner account...

But, I would think (not sure) that your link problem (for whatever reason it does exist) does indeed have something to do with not being able to properly upgrade.

D.

The problem is that the application needs to start up successfully and write self-identification files onto the device for it to start up properly.

The the bootloader on app 9.061 prevents app 8.551 from starting up, so it can't write any ID files, and HOME never knows app 8.551 was successfully loaded.

To fix this:
- connect the XXL540 WTE to the Tomtom
- use Winrar to extract the contents of this file onto the Tomtom. (the file only works for the WTE model)
- wait until the red X on the screen disappears on the Tomtom screen
- Use the safe disconnect icon on the lower right of your computer, and unplug the Tomtom
- start up the Tomtom, and when it starts up plug it back into the computer, and tap "yes" on the Tomtom screen when prompted
- Open up Tomtom HOME, choose "Update my XXL" and proceed to download everything else.

I'll update the sticky later tonight as this bug can cause problems for many others.

Last edited:
@mvl - Thank You

That worked flawlessly. I was able to start the device and work through the first time set up of preferences, and enter the activation code for lifetime maps update. I'm backing it up now.

Thank you again

Kevin

Ask a Question