IQ Routes Functionality Questions

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
Exactly how does my TT gathers info to share and return IQ Routes?
If I'm following a route given by TT, and decide to deviate from it, without asking the TT to give me an alternate or recalculate, will the IQ feature use this info for data that will be shared with others? Is there an actual control to select or deselect IQ routing?

Sometimes, when following a route I see "IQ Routes Disabled", which is why I ask where or when did I disabled it.

In planning settings, there is a preference for IQ routing or to disable it. It is my understanding that if IQ routing is selected AND you select FASTEST, IQ routing will always kick in.

If you choose Select Alternate or Travel Via and TT senses that the new route is not the fastest, then IQ routing may get disabled.

How does the info get to TT for inclusion in the map data? In Home, you probably accepted the option to provide your travelling data with anonymity. As you dl stuff from TT, suspect this data is being ul from your unit.

When you turn on "submit anonymous data", your Tomtom will upload (via HOME) an anonymous log of where you used your GPS, on a very frequent (maybe every second) basis.

Using this data, tomtom extrapolates average speeds driven on each segment of each road, for each day of the week in 5 minute blocks. Tomtom loads this speed data onto the maps, and IQroutes calculates the fastest route using this detailed data. It doesn't play favorites with which directions other people took, it just stores speeds and the Tomtom makes its own decision.

Tomtom also separately uses this data to help them add/move/delete roads and fix 1-ways and turn restrictions.

Sometimes, in rare instances (very rural roads), Tomtom will not have enough speed history on certain roads. In those cases, even if you have IQroutes on and "fastest route" enabled, it will still give the IQroutes disabled warning.

Ask a Question