Lost RDS-TMC functionality after update

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL IQ Routes
Hello!

After the last TomTom nav application update, I lost functionality of my original TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver. The status bar for RDS reception shows up, but device is not receiving any FM signal. I've seen several discussions of this happening after the latest software update. Apparently it has something to do with MCTX.DAT file.

Is there a remedy for this?

Current device specs:

TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition
Application 9.430.890926.103
OS 1000 (2008, 21.3.2012)
GPS v1.20, Boot v1.0012
Map "Europe_North" v885.4009

Do you happpen to have a backup made prior to the application update? If so, copy the mctx.dat file from the backup to the unit.

Do you happpen to have a backup made prior to the application update? If so, copy the mctx.dat file from the backup to the unit.

Unfortunately, no. I've also contacted official support - hopefully they can provide the file, in case it really is the culöprit here.

Solved!

Here's how I did it with a little help from support:

1. Make a full backup of TomTom with Explorer, including hidden files (just in case)
2. Delete folder named GNS from TomTom root directory (contained some single TMC-related file)
3. Delete all individual files from TomTom root directory (no directories except for GNS mentioned above)
4. Connect TomTom to PC, load navigation software update & install it
5. After TomTom restarts, check for updates again

** In this phase, my TomTom Home reported that I've got incorrect navigation software and wanted to load a new one - I just let it do it ** ... so, in my case we went through steps 4 and 5 again.

6. Soft-reset TomTom - in my case, this was done by pressing the power switch until display went to green and TomTom rebooted

That's it. RDS-TMC is now working again. Hope this helps others, too.

Hey! Congratulations and thanks for the feedback!!

Now make a further Explorer backup ...... just in case.........:)

Hey! Congratulations and thanks for the feedback!!

Now make a further Explorer backup ...... just in case.........:)

The thought has occurred me ... (while waiting for the next navcore application update) :D

The sad thing is, that now I have no justification to buy that Navigon 70 Plus I've been thinking about. Win some, lose some ..

Ask a Question