safety cameras activation

TomTom Model(s)
2535M Live
Just sew and downloaded free safety cameras for USA. Once downloaded it says that to activate go to tomtom.com On this website I do not see where to go for this activation. I was wondering since it says free, were to go for this activation. I have plus services now with traffic. thanks for your help

I may be mistaken but I thought the cameras were activated when installed on the unit, just as maps have been for quite a while.

I may be mistaken but I thought the cameras were activated when installed on the unit, just as maps have been for quite a while.

That what I though but their is an activation button that gives the warning to go the tomtom website for the activation.

Are you talking about the screen that pops up under Tomtom services when you attempt to choose safety cameras?

Then you probably don't have the full download of the safety cameras. There are two parts, with slightly different icons in Tomtom HOME. See below and make sure both are on your device. If not, go to add traffic/voices > safety cameras and try to re-add them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• deleteme.JPG
    deleteme.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,085
are you talking about the screen that pops up under tomtom services when you attempt to choose safety cameras?

Then you probably don't have the full download of the safety cameras. There are two parts, with slightly different icons in tomtom home. See below and make sure both are on your device. If not, go to add traffic/voices > safety cameras and try to re-add them.

attachment.php

i am only getting the second download safety camera not the first. Can you see any other way o download this. Thanks

Are you talking about the screen that pops up under Tomtom services when you attempt to choose safety cameras?

Then you probably don't have the full download of the safety cameras. There are two parts, with slightly different icons in Tomtom HOME. See below and make sure both are on your device. If not, go to add traffic/voices > safety cameras and try to re-add them.

attachment.php

Mine works fine with just the second one on your pictures
So I don't think that is the problem

I've always gotten both, even when I copied them to all my other devices. I assumed both were necessary. One of them also shows up under "update my device". Are you getting that one?

Mine works fine with just the second one on your pictures
So I don't think that is the problem
Same here.

View attachment 2849

is on my device although now the camera icon in front of the TomTom icon is gone, see below

View attachment 2848

is not and is not made available by HOME.

Things are getting more weirderer !

View attachment 2850

shows Items on device

There is only one UK camera file and the speed camera worked fine in the UK with OS 8.010 and 805 map.

More info ... Safety Cameras - USA, CAN - Free of Charge says Size 68 KB Version 4661

More info ... Safety Cam Us Canada Tomtom says size 126 KB, Version 4661, identical version number as above.

None the less, they don't work in an A .. B Demo (not connected to HOME) on a stretch were I stopped this afternoon at the Red Light camera, seeing the flash from the box when the other two went through.

Last edited:
I've always gotten both, even when I copied them to all my other devices. I assumed both were necessary. One of them also shows up under "update my device". Are you getting that one?

I can only locate the second one
Can't seem to find the first one
But still it works so ~.~

Arno, I don't have your third one that says "Safety Cam US Canada Tomtom". What happens (backup first as always) if you remove that one from your device. Does home download the free ones?

Arno, I don't have your third one that says "Safety Cam US Canada Tomtom". What happens (backup first as always) if you remove that one from your device. Does home download the free ones?
Mike, I'll try that on the weekend.

In the meant time, clicking on [Safety Cameras] at Add Traffic, Voices Safety Cameras, etc I get

View attachment 2851

Location = Memory Card (K on my computer). Clicking on More info ... I get

View attachment 2853

Location = Device (L on my computer. Note that the size is given as 128 KB.

=======

Under [Manage my GO] More info ... for Safety Cameras - USA, Canada - Free of Charge it shows

Screen074.jpg

while Safety Cam Us Canada Tomtom shows as

Screen075.png

Interestingly, both, the 64 KB and the 128 KB, are version 4661 and are shown as being in the North_America folder of the Device. Windows Explores lists:
Safety_Cam_Us_Canada_TomTom.ov2 54 KB
Safety_Cam_Us_Canada_TomTom.ov2.dct 1 KB
Safety_Cam_Us_Canada_TomTomOv2.ver 1 KB

On the computer at TomTom\HOME\FromDevice I find the following files

Safety_Cam_Us_Canada_TomTom.toc 1 KB
Safety_Cam_Us_Canada_TomTom.zip 55 KB
(the ZIP file containing the 3 files listed above with only the VER file packed from 128 to 119 bytes !)

Safety_Cam_Us_Canada_TomTom_20100218_190110.toc 1 KB
Safety_Cam_Us_Canada_TomTom_20100218_190110.zip 55 KB
(ZIP file identical contents as above.)
Couldn't make post screen prints for the above. Run into the 4 attachment limit before.

Attachments

• Screen076.png
    Screen076.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Well, I just downloaded the safety_camera files. They installed in my NA map with files such as: Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2 and related .dct and .ver files.

But, I do not see them listed in the categories to show on my map.
(Home reports them as being on my unit.)

Well, I just downloaded the safety_camera files. They installed in my NA map with files such as: Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2 and related .dct and .ver files.

question , those speed cameras at schools how do you tell if its real or not as a camera.

question , those speed cameras at schools how do you tell if its real or not as a camera.

They're probably real ;)

In my area we don't have speed cameras (to my knowledge), just red light cameras. You'll know if they're real by overspeeding on them, they usually set off a really bright flash when they take their picture, like a lightning bolt hitting the area.

I get two types on my device:
1) Safety Cam US Other Tomtom (ov2, bmp, and ver files), which correspond to the top of the two icons below.
2) Safety Cam US Canada Tomtom (ov2, dct, and ver files), which correspond to the bottom of the two icons below

#1 shows up in POI search as a separate category (looks like dhn is missing this so he can't find the cameras in the POI). dhn, try a disconnect/reconnect and see if they give you this under "update my GO"
#2 is configures under Tomtom services. (looks like arno is mising this so he gets the subscription error in Tomtom services)

2843d1266465927-safety-cameras-activation-deleteme.jpg

MVL, I only have the second one and as far as I can tell my safety camera/speed trap warnings work just fine. I noticed that TomTom offers me the first one on your screen shot, but I've never downloaded it. TTHome is certainly clear as mud on what the differences are between the two.

MVL, I only have the second one and as far as I can tell my safety camera/speed trap warnings work just fine. I noticed that TomTom offers me the first one on your screen shot, but I've never downloaded it. TTHome is certainly clear as mud on what the differences are between the two.

I believe the first one they store it as a POI file
And the second one, you can't find it on the POI menu, but you can see it in TomTom Services -> TomTom Safety Cameras

None the less, they don't work in an A .. B Demo (not connected to HOME) on a stretch were I stopped this afternoon at the Red Light camera, seeing the flash from the box when the other two went through.
Well, one of the most infuriating things with TomTom is that there is no consistency in what is happening.

Last night, driving through that inter section, I saw the Red Light camera icon with (correct I must say) distance to the camera, while standing at the red light. No warning sound.
I was surprised to see it, very visible with my green night colours set up.

This morning, driving by there, the audible warning came on and the Traffic Light displayed.

Apparently, even though the Roads Departement warning signs for the red light camera displays from all four directions, my 930 does not respond to traversing in the North/South axis but it does in the East/West axis.

Why there was no audible warning last night but this morning, I haven't got a clue.
Don't know where the icon comes from as there is no visible .bmp or other picture extension in the folder.
mvl said:
I get two types on my device:
1) Safety Cam US Other Tomtom (ov2, bmp, and ver files), which correspond to the top of the two icons below.
Mike, what does your above .bmp look like.
Cheers,

The settings for audible alerts vary for each type of alert, and are configured in the Tomtom services menu (that you don't seem to have access to).

Mike, what does your above .bmp look like.Cheers,

The bmp file is the top of the two icons below. And I've never disclosed my first name in this public forum (I'm a very private person), but it isn't "Mike" :)

2843d1266465927-safety-cameras-activation-deleteme.jpg

Ask a Question