safety cameras activation

Same here.

View attachment 2849

is on my device although now the camera icon in front of the TomTom icon is gone, see below

View attachment 2848

is not and is not made available by HOME.

Things are getting more weirderer !

View attachment 2850

shows Items on device

There is only one UK camera file and the speed camera worked fine in the UK with OS 8.010 and 805 map.

More info ... Safety Cameras - USA, CAN - Free of Charge says Size 68 KB Version 4661

More info ... Safety Cam Us Canada Tomtom says size 126 KB, Version 4661, identical version number as above.

None the less, they don't work in an A .. B Demo (not connected to HOME) on a stretch were I stopped this afternoon at the Red Light camera, seeing the flash from the box when the other two went through.

Got a question when installing safety cameras to internal storage , a TVL file installs to my SD card in a poi folder. What is this file. Should I delete it from card and install it somewhere on my internal storage? thanks

Mike, what does your above .bmp look like. Cheers,
The bmp file is the top of the two icons below. And I've never disclosed my first name in this public forum (I'm a very private person), but it isn't "Mike"
Sorry about that. I wouldn't have thought so as you are addressing others.

BMP, since I do not have that in the folder it is now obvious why it does not show in my HOME listing.

When the warning sound and icon displayed yesterday i tried to make a screen capture to save that icon but there was no click. Instead, the Main menu 1 of 4 screen came up and I know I had tapped the utmost corner.

I had the same no screen capture problem on Saturday when I wanted to take a snap of the red, exceeding the speed limit screen for the questioner from Winnipeg.

Last night, driving through that inter section, I saw the Red Light camera icon with (correct I must say) distance to the camera, while standing at the red light. No warning sound.
I was surprised to see it, very visible with my green night colours set up.

This morning, driving by there, the audible warning came on and the Traffic Light displayed.

Apparently, even though the Roads Departement warning signs for the red light camera displays from all four directions, my 930 does not respond to traversing in the North/South axis but it does in the East/West axis.
I went through that intersection at lunch time today in all four directions and the only way the warning comes up in driving in a westerly direction.
North, south and east, nothing.

Well , the screen print worked this time:

Red_Light_Cam_20100223.jpg

I went through that intersection at lunch time today in all four directions and the only way the warning comes up in driving in a westerly direction.
North, south and east, nothing.

Well , the screen print worked this time:

View attachment 2862

I believe the direction matters in TomTom Services - Safety Camera
When you report a new camera, it will ask you if it is on this side of the road or the other side, so changes are direction matters
If it is the POI type, then the direction won't matter

Tomtom response aabout safety cameras

Below is the response from tomtom email support about Safety cameras

We have received a response from the escalation team. Please note that Safety Camera information is not approved by the FCC. It means that although we provide this information, it may not be available for all parts of the USA.

The Safety Camera download and install on the device as a POI and should be enabled by selecting show POI on map and then the appropriate safety camera POI.

Please make sure you have enabled the POI option on your TomTom device. Here are the steps to check it:

1. Turn on the TomTom device.
2. Tap on the screen.
3. Tap on [Change Preferences].
4. Tap on [Show POI on map].
5. Tap on all the options that you would like to see on the map.
6. Tap on [Done].

Last edited:
I believe the direction matters in TomTom Services - Safety Camera.
When you report a new camera, it will ask you if it is on this side of the road or the other side, so changes are direction matters.
I went through two more intersections with long time red light camera.
One of them displayed in all but the EB direction, the other displayed in all four directions.

I find no way to report a camera by the use of icons. I could only report it as text after choosing Other.
I do not have a Safety Camera POI.

Which screen are you using if (when) you report a camea?

Which screen are you using if (when) you report a camea?

It's a special interface under the PLUS Services section of the device.

Have you tried removing the files that represent the bottom of the two items on "Manage My GO" and seeing if HOME offers them back to you? You may need to temporarily update to 8.351 first.

It's a special interface under the PLUS Services section of the device.

Have you tried removing the files that represent the bottom of the two items on "Manage My GO" and seeing if HOME offers them back to you? You may need to temporarily update to 8.351 first.
I never had PLUS services and when I tried TomTom Services (Main menu 1 of 4) and clicked on some items I used to get the warning
TomTom Services
Could not connect to this
TomTom service. Please check
the wireless data connection on
your mobile phone.
[Continue]

In the past I hadn't bothered with Safety cameras over here as I do stop for red lights and we do not have them for speed as in the UK.

Following your post above I clicked TomTom Safety Cameras and find that Report safety camera is enabled but neither Update safety cameras or Enable automatic updates.

As this will only allow me to report that there is a camera and not that is is only working in some directions I would have to make a written report anyway, as I did under Map errors.

I just went through the motions to report the one that works EB only.
It did let me specify the exact location and after selecting the type as Traffic light camera not Speed camera, the next screen become a selection of speed limits.
If not canceling out at this time the location will be sent with any of the options, e.g., ( ? ).

Another instance of half baked programming.

Feeling insufferably stupid here today - but I see only the 2nd option. It creates the encrypted *.OV2 file in my NA maps directory, but I am unable to find any POI category (when operating the unit) that corresponds to this OV2. I cannot select that POI category for display. What am I missing?

I'm in the same situation.
Glad it's not just me .. well, sorta. Sorry to hear you're in the same boat.

Got all 3 files on the download - OV2, DCT and VER. HOME recognizes the "Safety Cam" set as installed on the TomTom - shows up in the "Safety Cameras" section (vs. POI) as version 4711 of "Safety Cam Us Canada Tomtom" when doing the "Manage My Go" thing.

Unit seems to have no clue it is present. It's as though 8.351 is unaware of the encrypted OV2 type.

Then again, I wonder if I'm just missing something obvious. Although the filename is an OV2 type, it does not show up as a POI in HOME. It has a distinct category as "Safety Camera" in "Manage My Go". So I wonder if I am missing a menu item somewhere, or whether I should even be treating this as if it were a POI? I tried to see any icons by doing the Browse Map with zero success. Do those of you with this feature up and running ever see the cams when using the Browse Map feature? If so, what did you do to enable them for view?

Canderson, the top of the two icons comes up when you try update my go (I think).

Arno, your experience is the same as mine. No ability to live-update the cameras. The updates come each day under HOME, along with fuel (paid), mapshare, and quickgpsfix.

When you submit the camera, it gets queued up on the device, and uploaded next time you do "Update my GO", as a separately itemized upload right after the mapshare upload.

Canderson, the top of the two icons comes up when you try update my go (I think).
The lower one is found by going to "Add Traffic, Voices..etc". It shows a "Free" option there. That is the one that delivered the 3 files I mentioned earlier. Supposedly covers US and Canada.

One wonders if "free" is free, although with the DCT file attached, one would think that it should run! If you go to the latter menu pages, in "TomTom Services", the various options to configure for Safety Cameras are there (e.g., alert sound), indicating that the unit knows the files are resident.

But then when I click on 'safety cameras', I get the 'bluetooth disabled' message.??!!

But the set it appears you and I have is NOT through Plus services so what does Bluetooth have to do with it?

But then when I click on 'safety cameras', I get the 'bluetooth disabled' message.??!!

But the set it appears you and I have is NOT through Plus services so what does Bluetooth have to do with it?
It's like the ephemeris data - it can be updated over a tethered phone if you're hooked up that way, and tries to do that if you attempt to update on the unit itself rather than downloading a new file set via the PC.

You should be able to click on "TomTom Services" and "TomTom Safety Cameras" without getting the BT message. However, if you try to "Update safety cameras" and select either of the two camera types, it should bounce you for a BT connection. OTOH, you should be able to select "Change warning preferences" without getting hassled. Your unit should show the bottom center button as "Enable automatic updates", which won't fly either.

Got all 3 files on the download - OV2, DCT and VER. HOME recognizes the "Safety Cam" set as installed on the TomTom - shows up in the "Safety Cameras" section (vs. POI) as version 4711 of "Safety Cam Us Canada Tomtom" when doing the "Manage My Go" thing.
Although I had those files on my 930, red light cameras didn't show before on the NA map. UK on 805 was OK.

In my post of 02-19-2010, 02:56 PM you will see that the version of ths Safety Cams is 4661 and I did not get them to work. To answer your post I opened the Items on my device page and now find still both, the 68 KB and the 160 KB files listed there BUT, they are now Version 4686 ! and the icons and warning sound are now in effect.

Unit seems to have no clue it is present. It's as though 8.351 is unaware of the encrypted OV2 type.
I did have 8.351 at one time but have gone back to 8.302.
Then again, I wonder if I'm just missing something obvious. Although the filename is an OV2 type, it does not show up as a POI in HOME. It has a distinct category as "Safety Camera" in "Manage My Go". So I wonder if I am missing a menu item somewhere, or whether I should even be treating this as if it were a POI? I tried to see any icons by doing the Browse Map with zero success. Do those of you with this feature up and running ever see the cams when using the Browse Map feature? If so, what did you do to enable them for view?
I presume that one does not get the POI unless one subscribes to TomTom Services.
There is nothing in my menus but they have the touch and feel of a POI but, they do NOT show up at Browse map.

Since I do not know why the cameras started to show up I can only assume that it was caused by multiple tries of [ADD] the safety camera.
Typing this I decided to check and find that the 64 KB Safety Cameras - US, CAN - Free of Charge is now Version 4711 (hope it doesn't smell like Eau de Cologne).
Cheers.

Here's how fuel prices work, and I think safety cameras are the same:

If you have no camera tlv/dct (license) file on your map, or the tlv/dct is expired, then when you go to Tomtom/PLUS services on the Tomtom, it will attempt to acquire a new license over bluetooth. So if you're getting the bluetooth required screen, then you probably don't have the tlv/dct set up properly.

If everything is set up properly, it goes into the safety cam configuration menu without any issues. If you can't get into the PLUS screen at all (before the safety cam icon), then you might need at least a bluetooth connection and HOME user/pass just to get to the screen.

The tlv is downloaded via HOME for some models, or maybe it's preinstalled when the device is purchased new. I don't know, as mine was second hand. HOME will happily transfer the tlv/dct (bottom safety camera icon) from device to computer to any other device, as it's free.

The bluetooth update process doesn't work for me. My guess is that, since it's the free cameras it doesn't offer live updates like the paid service on the 740. All updates have to be batched daily via HOME.

Once the tlv is loaded, HOME will offer the poi file (top icon) as a daily download, and this poi file is what actually shows the cameras on the map.

That's my best guess...

Arno, your experience is the same as mine. No ability to live-update the cameras. The updates come each day under HOME, along with fuel (paid), mapshare, and quickgpsfix.
I'll look out for that but wonder if it becomes a question of the Version changes as reported in my reply to Canderson.
When you submit the camera, it gets queued up on the device, and uploaded next time you do "Update my GO", as a separately itemized upload right after the mapshare upload.
I understand that part. I just think it is stupid that one can only report that there is one, nothing else.

Didn't have my device with me today but the camera that only works in the EB direction was off its post and had a service truck standing next to it.

Tune in tomorrow, boys and girls, for the next episode of Safety Cams.

Typing this I decided to check and find that the 64 KB Safety Cameras - US, CAN - Free of Charge is now Version 4711 (hope it doesn't smell like Eau de Cologne).
Cheers.
I'll take Chanel #5-3/4, thanks...

The 4711 version "free" version you specify is the one I've installed.

I'll be in an area this afternoon which SHOULD be covered, but ...
I'm bothered that there seems to be no way of reviewing where the coverage exists via "Browse Map" or other means.

I'm bothered that there seems to be no way of reviewing where the coverage exists via "Browse Map" or other means.
It doesn't work in browse map but it does on a Demo drive, even at 500 %.
Just make an A .. B from a cross road before to one after.
If it doesn't show, try ALL four directions.
Remember the one I picked didn't work.
I had selected a South/north route but the alarm for that specific camera only works in the east bound direction.

Ask a Question