Options for downloading route to 330S using a MAC?

Hi,

My first posts here. I'm sure I'll be back for more.

We just bought our first GPS, a TomTom XL 330S. We're wondering what options, if any, there are for creating an itinerary or route either online or on our MAC, then downloading to the TomTom. I've searched and run across TYRE, but that only for PCs. I'd much prefer to use our MAC.

The TomTom Home software allows for route planning. Can that route be downloaded to the TomTom?

If it's the 330 that's the limiting factor, what model TomTom has such functionality?

We just bought our first GPS, a TomTom XL 330S. We're wondering what options, if any, there are for creating an itinerary or route either online or on our MAC, then downloading to the TomTom. I've searched and run across TYRE, but that only for PCs. I'd much prefer to use our MAC.

Not that I've seen. The Tyre developer doesn't know how to program a mac.
http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/faqs.htm#qa6

The TomTom Home software allows for route planning. Can that route be downloaded to the TomTom?
Not yet. It is still a beta and ideally a Tomtom download would be a next step.

If it's the 330 that's the limiting factor, what model TomTom has such functionality?
The 330 can process itineraries, so it's not the limiting factor.

Thanks mvl,

I thought so. Even something that downloads individual locations would be cool. I can always "navigate to" the next location. I'm just trying to minimize key strokes on the TomTom. Unfortuantely the "operate my TomTom" option in HOME is not working, but that's another issue.

With some searching I found the Google maps "save to" function but, unless I'm doing something wrong, it seems pretty limited. I can only get the "save to gps" option if Google maps finds the exact address. If it provides a general location like street or town, the "save to gps" option doesn't show up, even if I modify the markers location to the exact spot I'm looking for. The option's not there for placemarks I add either. Am I doing something wrong or is it really that limited?

Last edited:
I thought so. Even something that downloads individual locations would be cool. I can always "navigate to" the next location. I'm just trying to minimize key strokes on the TomTom. Unfortuantely the "operate my TomTom" option in HOME is not working, but that's another issue.

On the 330, Operate my XL only seemed to work with app 8.010.

Do you use a traffic receiver? If not, downgrade to app 8.010 via these steps (Canadian traffic receivers don't work with this software)

On the 330, Operate my XL only seemed to work with app 8.010... Do you use a traffic receiver?
Thanks again, but where do I get 8.010? No I don't use a traffic receiver.

FYI...I got this from tech support the other day...

We are currently experiencing a technical issue that is causing the Operate my GO feature in TomTom HOME to not work properly. We do understand that this is an important feature to a large portion of our customer base and we are diligently working to resume the normal functionality of this feature. We are confident that with the release of the next application this feature will be working properly again. We do apologize for any inconvenience this issue may cause and appreciate your patience.
Why not create your route on googlemaps, and then use Tomtom and Google to convert to an .itn file?
Why not? Because I wasn't aware of that site. Thanks very much. That's very cool. Unfortunately that still only works for addresses that google maps can find. What I'm having trouble doing is creating directions either to or from a spot that google maps can't find. I can create a placemark in "my maps" but then can't select it as either a starting point or destination. I must be doing something wrong.

Maybe an example would be more clear. Let's say I want to create directions from my home to a cottage that has no address. I can find the cottage in either google maps or google earth and create a plcemark, but then how do I get that entered as a destination in google maps. I can do it in google earth, but then can't seem to view the same directions in google maps even if I use the "view in google maps" function. My issue revolves entirely around using a location that isn't in google's database. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

Ask a Question