Route options needed (frustrations)

Hi,

I have a TomTom XL340TM. I really would like to request these 2 features from TomTom for routing:

1. Highway Route :- via *closest* highway *entrance*

Right now, with fastest route option, TomTom does not select the highway entrance that is closest to where I am. It would often skip to the next highway entrance, which is further away from me.

This is even when there is no traffic at all.

I really don't mind if it takes me slightly longer for the total time -- say one minute longer, I really don't want to go thru' unnecessary local roads.

I really want to save on *gas* and avoid traffic *lights*.

*** This is the whole point with using the highway system.

Can TomTom add an option that allows me to go thru' the closest highway entrance? It can even allow a configurable acceptable 'delay'.

Say, "Go via closest highway entrance (even if delay within <configurable> minute(s)".

A default delay of 1 (or perhaps 2) minute is normally acceptable by most users I believe.

2. Prefer main streets to smaller streets.

On many occasions, TomTom would go thru' numerous small residential streets instead of taking one simple turn on a main street.

There are LOTS of pumps along these smaller residential streets.

It is really frustrating to go thru' these numerous pumps (and they are bad to my car's shocks).

And I don't really want to drive along the neighborhood's small streets.

There are kids running around, etc. It is just *dangerous*.

Can TomTom add another option:

"Prefer main streets (e.g., 2/4-lane streets with divider line) to small streets."

Again, I'm OK w/ an acceptable delay of 1/2 minutes or so.

Last edited:
Non of what you require are possible with any sat nav product at this current time and that includes units from Garmin, Navman/ Mio let alone TomTom.

A simple rule of thumb to use is if you know beeter than the Nav unit simply go your own way and ignore the device for a while, it will soon work out what you are doing and still take you to the destination. If you don't know any better the unit will still get you from A to B which is its intended function - Mike

Why not possible?

Obviously, it should be possible to locate the closest highway entrance. It was able to locate the 2nd closest highway entrance.

Also, if it was able to hop thru' those smaller streets, why can't it continue on the current main road which is the larger street.

Can't it distinguish a 4-lane street from a 2-lane street?

Last edited:
I don't work for TomTom and this site is nothing to do with TomTom, if you have an issue with their products then please feel free to take it up with the company via their own comunication channels.

All I did was state a few specific facts in reply to your questions - Mike

Fk91km-

Why not possible?

What you are requesting is a form of 'Fuzzy' Logic.

And you wish advanced Fuzzy logic as well - somewhat approaching AI.

A fuzzy logic approach does not currently work well with GPS devices. (As Mike alluded to.)
Non of what you require are possible with any sat nav product at this current time and that includes units from Garmin, Navman/ Mio let alone TomTom.

Computers are very Black/White with no actual thought.

If you set your device to 'shortest' route - it will give you a route making your head spin... As it tries to create a straight line by using multiple turns... To get the 'shortest' route.

The GPS is a computer. If you have it set to 'Quickest' with IQ enabled - it will give you the Quickest. (As far as it is concerned.) Does not matter if a different route would be longer by only 1 second. (And it actually makes more sense.) The priority is for Quickest. So, based on historic traffic delays, day of week, speed limits, etc. it gives you the 'Quickest'.

Digital circuitry consists of 'on/off' circuits. 0 or 1

No 2, 3, or 4

Fuzzy logic circuits which make much more 'human' seeming decisions - are extremely Complex and much more difficult to achieve properly. With the amount of funds a user is willing to spend on a GPS - you are not currently going to have any GPS unit capable of any type of fuzzy logic route analysis any time soon. Just the state of affairs.

As Mike pointed out - if you know where and how to get there - just go there. If you need help, and don't know how to get where your going - these are indispensable.

D.

Last edited:
Also - from your description of taking roads with speed bumps...

Possibly your planning preference settings might not be where you really want them...

Please make sure that you do in fact have IQ enabled; and that you are set for 'QUICKEST' and not shortest.

And that you are not set for bicycling or walking... (I know you are probably not - just verifying)

And that your settings for Toll, Paved/unpaved, etc. are what you desire...

D.

Tomtom has an ecoroutes option on new models that is supposed to mimimize fuel. It doesn't seem like it does anything different from fastest at this time, but if/when Tomtom implements this properly it should meet your needs.

One possible "workround" would be to dowload a POI list of Highway entrance/exits (I use one in the UK for Motorway junctions, so I guess there may be something similar for the US).
Then if you don't like the route the TomTom suggests, just add a "via" point for the nearest highway entrance to you.

One possible "workround" would be to dowload a POI list of Highway entrance/exits (I use one in the UK for Motorway junctions, so I guess there may be something similar for the US).
Then if you don't like the route the TomTom suggests, just add a "via" point for the nearest highway entrance to you.

I'm interested in how you define the motorway junctions; do you use a single point for each, or do you have a set of possible arrive and depart directions for each?

I'm interested in how you define the motorway junctions; do you use a single point for each, or do you have a set of possible arrive and depart directions for each?

Very astute of you to see there is an issue here!

There have to be two separate POI categories, one for junction entrances and one for junction exits.

Otherwise, if there was ONE, right in the middle, you would get chaos - if you were trying to leave, you would have to go past the exit to get to the POI and if you were trying to join, you would have missed it so the TT would route you to the PREVIOUS entrance.

Here's what they look like (remembering we drive on the LEFT in the UK):

Motorway_Junction_POIs.jpg

Each one is named with the motorway number, junction number and travel direction, such as "M6 J5 N", or "M4 J12 W"

I can't take the credit for this at all, the POI lists I use are from PocketGPSWorld.com and whoever produced them obviously thought it through....

Thanks, Andy. As I see it, you'd need four entries for the usual kind of junction; one for each direction of approach. Or you could just set it up for the directions you'd normally use.

For example, if I'm going north I have four possible exits from the M25 clockwise.: M40, M1, A1 and once I used the M11. For each of these I only need to set up a POI on the M25 exit slip road.

If you are in the UK too, there's no need to do al this yourself!

Just register on the forum I mentioned above and you can download the entire UK motorway sets for free,

I am using fastest route. Sad that doesn't help much.

> Tomtom has an ecoroutes option on new models that is supposed to mimimize fuel.

That's a really welcome option, as I sure don't want to go thru' some neighborhoods in slow motion. And I hope that option will truly imply more highway routes/major roads vs. small local roads.

As for a slightly different pain: U-turn's,

I think if I can disable the 5 minute internal delay for U-turn's that'd also help improve the algorithm to reduce the #of roundabout's it makes to avoid a U-turn. It's giving me headaches each time it makes 4-5 additional turns just to avoid a U-turn now.

Or perhaps TomTom can add another route option :

Route with least # of turns.

Last edited:
This is something I've often wondered about.... Do you have to do a lot of U-turns in the US?

I've used TomTom's for years in the UK and this 5 minute time penalty for U-turns nmay well be there, but it has never cropped up as an issue or irritation.
I can only think of one U-turn I have to make on my normal routes, and even that one is more of a do-nut.

This is something I've often wondered about.... Do you have to do a lot of U-turns in the US?
Your question isn't clear enough, even in context, to answer specifically - so look out for the longwinded version...

First, I believe that it is universally true that any controlled intersection may be used for making a U-turn unless it is specifically marked to the contrary. Indeed, you'll find intersections where a U-turn creates other issues marked with a special "No U-turn" sign. So if the question is "Are U-turns allowed in a lot of places", the answer is "Yes, very many".

Second, where things are well and truly hosed up by traffic engineers, we do have signs for the inner lane that indicate not only the ability to turn from that lane with an appropriate arrow, but make a U-turn from that inside lane as well. You don't see these called out specifically in many U.S. cities, but they're out there as a reminder.

Third would be the question of necessity. Our road designers here have a penchant for including barrier islands between the two directions of traffic on some larger streets. They enjoy planting trees and letting weeds grow in these, and after growing tired of the weeds, fill them in with bricks.

Unfortunately, these barriers cut off access to lot entrances for businesses on the other side of the street (and sometimes actual streets as well). Often, the fastest approach is a U-turn at the nearest intersection beyond the passed entrance and back again to reach it. In some areas, this becomes so common that it creates a bit of a traffic snarl and they'll toss out one of those No U-turn signs just to spite you, causing a substantial re-routing to get going back the other way. I've found the above to be common in many newer city areas where they've found room to stick those barriers in the center between the lanes. TomTom is quite good at picking most of these up in their mapping and forcing routes that include 1 left turn and several right turns to get to the spot on the street indicated as a business' address -- all to avoid a simple U-turn that could have saved substantial time.

Of some interest is the fact that a TomTom seems to have at least SOME idea of "rural". I find that mine will suggest and permit a U-turn on a rural road without hesitation many times, and would never do so in town. I believe the distinguishing feature is that it does so on unpaved roads and not paved roads.

Last edited:
So I think the gist of it was "yes"! ;)

I only asked because I cannot think of a single time when a calculated route I've made in the UK has needed a U-turn (or would have been made quicker if it had used one).

The only time the TT ever tells me to make one is if I've missed a turning or deliberately ignored it's instructions.

So I think the gist of it was "yes"! ;)
In areas where those center median/island/divider things occur frequently, it's certainly an issue here. Not so much in towns that don't employ them.

The only time the TT ever tells me to make one is if I've missed a turning or deliberately ignored it's instructions.
Ah, the old "Turn around when possible", yes?:p

Here is the problem I mentioned @ the v. beginning of the post: the roundabout TomTom attempts (thru' that residential area) to avoid a single left-turn:

1. Google Map. It gives a very sensible and simple route in the last mile. Just keep right along E. Capitol Expressway (instead of left turn into Westboro Dr. into the residential area), and make a single left turn on Story Road.

2765 Story Rd, Suite B San Jose, CA 95127 - Google Maps

2. TomTom's route. Note the left turn into the residential area (from S. Capitol Ave into Westboro Dr). Perhaps TomTom wants to avoid the left turn in the GoogleMap's last direction.

TomTom is also outdated : the road's name should be 'E Capitol Expressway' instead of 'S. Capitol Ave'.

Route Planner - the best route, maps and traffic info from TomTom

Ask a Question