No Maps on Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
TomTom Model(s)
TomTom ONE
Hello all,
I was trying to update maps on my device and kept getting error messages to I formatted the device and TomTom Home updated a lot of stuff but when I try to operate the device I get "No Maps" message I think I need to download maps but have no idea where can I do this. This is first time I was trying to update this device and I am new to all these thing. I hope someone will walk me through how I can restore my device.
Thanks

Were you trying to download an application or a map?

If you use a pc, use Explorer and go here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

Do you see a map in compressed format (in other words, something that looks like USA_Canada.cab?

If so, you can reinstall it without using Home. See here for instructions:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t18197-how-install-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

Thank you for a quick reply dhn, I really appreciate it.
I was just trying to update it as it started giving me problems. I installed application from TomTom.com which never detected my device then I installed TomTom One application which was located on the root of the device. which detects my device and showed me updates also but keep crashing so I formated my device and rerun TomTom One which installed may things including sounds but no maps. Now whenever I disconnect the device i get "No Maps" message.
Also, I've mentioned in my first post that this is very first time I am using my pc to update this device, so I don't have any backups. By the way I have TomTom One 3rd Edition (1 GB)
Thank you again

Last edited:
I'm sorry but it's important to be precise with the description of what you were doing and some of what you replied isn't clear to me.

I installed application from TomTom.com which never detected my device then I installed TomTom One application which was located on the root of the device

The above has me confused. What do you mean by 'which never detected my device'?

And this: 'I installed TomTom One application which was located on the root of the device.' What application? This? InstallTomTomHOME.exe

If so, you don't run Home from the unit but, rather, by getting the application at tomtom.com/home.

Did you find a compressed map in the location on the computer I listed in my previous post? If you use Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and look at the contents of the unit, do you see a yellow folder called something like United_States?

Sorry about not being so clear.
Let me try again,
First I downloaded and installed the application from tomtom.com and as per instructions connected my device to the computer but I get no device connected message). Though TomTom software doesn't recognize it but I was able to browse the device like an external drive and there was a software on the root of device which I installed and this time this software recognizes the device and when I try to update the maps I was keep getting error messages so I searched the net there was a solution that if I remove everything from the device and run the tomtom application it will load everything back I followed the suggestion it loaded everything but no maps. So whenever I turn on device I get this message "No Maps on Device"
I hope this time I am clear, if you helped me to fix it I'll be thankful if no then it is OK this is an old device I was just thinking if I can make it work otherwise no regrets.

Thank you

@nadeem
I hope you backed up your ONE at some point in the recent past. You misread some advice somewhere when you say "remove everything from the device" ... to reload only the firmware, you remove ONLY the loose files in the root of the device, NOT folders, and especially not the one that contains your map!

You must now find a copy of your map somewhere on your PC. This can be there because of a backup made with Home, or a backup that you used your PC's own 'copy' function to make, or because you purchased a map, or because you used the Latest Map Guarantee shortly after your purchase. But you really need to hope that one of those things is true, because if not, you'll be buying a new map.

Please check the content of the following folders:

\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup
Do you see any folders there?

\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map
Do you see any folders there?

canderson,
This was very first time I connected this device to the computer. So, no backup or anything I checked the mentioned directories but nothing is there.
Anyways thank you both of you. I really appreciate your help. Looks like I can not use this device anymore. I have another one which I use I was just thinking to fix it as a stand by to for someone to use.

Thanks a lot.

Hi nadeem,

when and from where did you purchase that device? Did you purchase it from a private person or from a shop?

If you purchased it from a private person it might be possible that he/she still has the files and can send them to you. Then you'll be able to install the map to your device again.
If you purchased it from a shop it depends on when you purchased it. If it has been only shortly it might be that you get a map made available again for download if contacting TomTom CS. Also if the download completed before you erased your memory you should find the map under the path dhn provided in his first reply.

Regards
Lars.

I was able to find the maps files over the net, now my device is working. Thank you for the supports guys, I really appreciate this.

Dare I ask what firmware version you are running on your ONE?

A more important question: 'Just where did you find the map files?' Actually, I suspect where ......... and think no more discussion is appropriate in this thread. I'm closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question