Drag and drop Maps from USB to Device..

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL
Hi,

I purchased several maps last night (Central and Eastern Europe and France) so as my device internal memory is limited and has no SD card slot so I was forced to copy Map folder from device to USB and then copy and paste new maps from USB to device..

Will there be any loading issue or security encryption which will restrict loading and operation by dragging and dropping from USB to device?

Much appreciated,

Ross

Depends ... the maps you bought will be in 'zip' format, along with their activation keys. Normally, we recommend you do a full backup which will include your existing AUS/NZ map, then delete the map folder from your unit, then use Home to install whatever others you have acquired. That said, it's entirely possible to load a purchased map without using Home at all with a bit if unzipping. See here --> https://www.tomtomforums.com/t18197-how-install-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

Anyway, providing the maps were purchased for your specific unit, then the activation.zip files will take care of unlocking them for your device. You'll see them when you start poking around in your downloaded map folders.

I wont have access to my PC while abroad so I was just going to stick maps on USB and upload at will so I was concerned there might be issues regarding that matter..

Maps where purchased from TomTom Home 2.8 Maps folder and downloaded directly to device then backed up to PC then removed from device and re-uploaded Australian Maps, just was not sure what issues if any I would have uploading from USB if any..

Cheers,

Ross

I'm not sure if you were thinking you could transfer directly from a USB stick to the TomTom without using a PC - you can't.
But you shouldn't have any issues going from USB stick to TomTom VIA a PC, if you can get access to one.

Why not try it out before you go?

Ask a Question