New Info about Upcoming MyTomTom Features

Yes that's right.

TomTom have finally made the built-in Favourites an ov2 file. (This is great because it can easily be backed up,saved,moved etc.)

Note that they have used the American spelling for the file name - "Favorites.ov2", but on a European device it is still referred to as "Favourites" in all the menus.

This means it's possible to have a "Favorites.ov2" AND a "Favourites.ov2" on the machine, if you're not careful.

All that happens is that the normal "Favourites" are handled as usual, and a completely different "Favourites" appears in the POI list.

European and Canadian spelling, eh? :D

Thanks, Andy. Supermod mvl pointed that feature out.

Considering the method of copying the mapsettings.cfg file from one map to another is no longer viable, it's nice that this method got implemented.

There's another drawback with the new custom POI handling and this is a major one! Currently (?) there's no way to search for them as before like 'near me' or 'near my hometown'. Instead you have to go via 'search in town' and as long as you don't know it's name you've got a serious problem!

Oskar

Btw. the picture size for the *.bmp file is wrong! It should read 22x22 instead of 16x16.

Oskar

I believe mvl ran into this problem with a custom ov2 file he had. In fact, nothing showed for him even when he gave it a city ('Boston'). I tried it with one I ul (a specific gasoline brand ov2) and I think I got it even using 'near me'.

But, I'll check later today...........

Currently (?) there's no way to search for them as before like 'near me' or 'near my hometown'. Instead you have to go via 'search in town' and as long as you don't know it's name you've got a serious problem!

Eh?
I still have all the same options for 'POI near you', 'POI near Home', 'POI near destination', POI along route' etc.

Or if you're talking about Favourites, I never did have those options. (Although you still have a "Find" or "Search" feature if you have more than one page's worth of them.

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Last edited:
I don't understand. What are you trying to do, can you give an example?
I don't see anything different...

Some ov2 files appear to be not processed correctly on the 10.x models (eg: they load a new category but nothing shows up in the details).

The same ov2 file works fine on my GO740.

I'll contact Tomtom directly on this (and let you guys know).

Oskar is saying that no custom poi is retrieved if you try any option other than in City. Even though the ov2 file is uploaded to the unit and poi's should be found.

Oskar is saying that no custom poi is retrieved if you try any option other than in City. Even though the ov2 file is uploaded to the unit and poi's should be found.

That is not what I experience.

For example..
1. I have loaded the UK speed camera files from PGPSW
2. I find one at random on the map
3. I select a point a mile or two away from it
4. I set up a "Navigate to..." route from home to that position
5. I go to 'Show map of route'
6. I tap "Fiind" and select 'Point of interest' followed by 'POI near destination'.
7. I select the POI category I want
8. I get lots of results, just as normal.

See mvl's post prior to my previous one; namely, some custom ov2 files seem to be getting interpreted properly, others are not.

Right, so it could be an issue with certain POI record types?

More research needed, but I've not seen it happen with any of the POI files I've tried (quite a few now), so it's certainly not a general issue as Oskar seemed to be reporting.

Does anyone have a file they can share which exhibits these problems?

Suspect you'll need one geared towards European maps, andy. I have a troublesome one from mvl but only related to a North_American map. So, won't be relevant for you, I suspect.

One from Oskar, maybe?

Presume you've tried opening it in something like POIEdit, and then re-saving it?

Even saving as csv and then back to ov2?

Was it VERY big?

Hmmm. Biggest I've got on there so far is only 618kB, and that works OK.
I'll try making a bigger one tomorrow.

I wanted to add to the summary below that it appears that Tomtom is rolling this out model-by-model. The European GO LIVE 1000 is the only model so far where owners have confirmed getting the update. I have not seen any users confirm that the GO LIVE 1005, nor any North America models, have received the update yet.

So keeping this sticky updated:

On February 14, Tomtom released a software update. The key change is that custom POI computer uploads are now available.

So the current update status is:
- Latest map guarantee: Map updates to version 860 were offered in mid-December and then pulled. Map 865 is due in February.
- Speed cameras: Single download of fixed cameras occurred at the end of January. Temporary cameras are updated over-the-air for LIVE models
- Custom POI computer-loading: Enabled with app 10.110 on February 14
- Itinerary Planning: promised for Q2 2011, as part of a scheduled feature release. This promise was made in September 2010, with no further update on the status

Ask a Question