New Info about Upcoming MyTomTom Features

Tomtom has provided another update on upcoming features. Here is where things stand:

Latest Map Guarantee: Working for all models.

Map purchases: Can now purchase subscription update cards at retail, and activate them in MyTomtom. Within a couple months of August, Tomtom will allow single map purchases (including additional geographies), and the swapping/reloading of previously purchased maps.

3rd Party POI: Now available

Community content (voices, color schemes, warning sounds, images): Now working with app 10.200 or later in Europe. All app 10.x models will get this feature by August 17.

Licensed voices: Not yet available. Should be coming within a couple months of August.

Backing up: Community content (Europe only), plus POI and Favorites, can be backed up. No backups for licensed content yet.

Mapshare: Not yet available

Quickgpsfix: Not formally announced, appears to work on LIVE models, but not on non-LIVE models.

Itinerary planning: Promised for Q2 2011, but date was missed. A 4-waypoint limited version will be available by August 17th. No update on when/whether the full itinerary planning will be released.

3rd party applications: Will be coming in the future, but not in 2011

Speed cameras: Enabled in December 2010, but now seems to be broken. Recent updates (especially in Europe) seem to have removed the speed cameras. LIVE models will get fixed and temporary cameras delivered over-the-air after a new software update coming by August 17th.

Tomtom Places: Coming August 17th to Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Denmark and Germany, "to complement" the existing Google Search functionality. Will be expanded to other countries in the future.

Last edited:
App 10.500 was released August 9th for all Tomtom devices. With this update, here is where things stand:

Latest Map Guarantee: Working for all models.

Map purchases: Can now purchase subscription update cards at retail, and activate them in MyTomtom. Within a couple months of August, Tomtom will allow single map purchases (including additional geographies), and the swapping/reloading of previously purchased maps.

Community content (voices, color schemes, warning sounds, images): Now available.

Licensed voices: Not yet available. Should be coming within a couple months of August.

Backing up: Community content (POI, voices, color schemes, warning sounds, image) can now be backed up. No backups for licensed content yet.

Quickgpsfix: Not formally announced, appears to work on LIVE models, but not on non-LIVE models.

Itinerary planning: Promised for Q2 2011, but date was missed. A 4-waypoint limited version (no ability to set destinations, nor save/load itineraries) is now available.. No update on when/whether the full itinerary planning will be released.

3rd party applications: Will be coming in the future, but not in 2011

Speed cameras: Enabled in December 2010, but now seems to be broken. Recent updates (especially in Europe) seem to have removed the speed cameras. LIVE models are supposed to now get fixed and temporary cameras delivered over-the-air.

Tomtom Places: Available in Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Denmark and Germany, to complement the existing Google Search functionality. Will be expanded to other countries in the future.

I just bought a TomTom GO 2535 M LIVE unit. A message keeps flashing on it saying that every single time it's plugged into a computer every single last file (a complete backup in TomTom's words) on the GPS unit will be backed up.

Really! :eek:

Can you go to Settings and left arrow one or two screens to the information screen about what application and map you have installed.

Also, can you detail the exact wording of the message you see, please.

You see, every time you connect to the computer a file will automatically be sent FROM your unit to TomTom if you opted into sharing your driving pattern data with the community at large (for better IQ routing, etc.).

It may be that message you are seeing ...... dunno.

Love to know the exact wording of that message.

It couldn't possibly do a full backup EVERY TIME it's plugged in. That would take such a long time it would drive you mad.

I'm using navcore version 10.500 and the 875 map. The exact wording of the message was "Every time you connect your unit to your computer a complete backup will be made".

I'm using navcore version 10.500 and the 875 map. The exact wording of the message was "Every time you connect your unit to your computer a complete backup will be made".
Now that's just fascinating. I don't think any of us have ever seen or heard this before, especially given that a number have seen 10.500 code quite a while back and never noted it.

At what point are you seeing that message, and it it on the PC or on the unit itself?!? Your post makes it sound like the unit is saying this.

I've already seen that message.

I'm not sure how much to believe it. The computer connects way too short for the entire 4GB in maps to be copied anywhere.

My guess is that it is probably backing up something like settings only (if it's backing up anything at all).

It's my understanding that you can redownload the most recent map you've paid for whenever you want at no additional charge should it get deleted from the GPS unit somehow. Of course the navcore can be redownloaded as well if need be so it makes sense that a complete backup means a backup only of things that can't be redownloaded through the web-based MyTomTom app.

I've already seen that message.

I'm not sure how much to believe it. The computer connects way too short for the entire 4GB in maps to be copied anywhere.
Under what conditions are you seeing it? Granted, my exposure has been only to the "sorta 1535", but it's not been showing up there. I'd certainly agree that a real 4GB backup would take a much longer time than is being reported. About how long did it appear to take when you saw it?

I would expect it to copy the ttgo.bif file and not much else as this file contains all the data about the device and whats installed, might be worth trying a search on your entire computer to see if you can locate the ttgo.bif file somewhere then open it with NotePad - Mike

Is it just me or is MyTomTom ridiculously clunky when compared with Home?

For all the little foibles that it displayed, at least finding updates etc was a lot easier.

It's not just you.

MyTomTom is an irritating interface at the best of times. While improvements have been made to it over time, there is a long way to go.

With the September 14th update of MyTomtom, I'm revising this list::

Latest Map Guarantee: Now available for all models.

Map purchases: Now available for all models. Also allows swapping/redownloading of maps for devices with limited memory.

Community content (voices, color schemes, warning sounds, images): Now available.

Licensed voices: Not yet available. Promised by 10/14/2011.

Backing up: Community content (POI, voices, color schemes, warning sounds, image) can now be backed up. No backups for licensed content yet. Maps licenses are retained on server and can be re-downloaded at any time.

Itinerary planning: Promised for Q2 2011, but date was missed. A 4-waypoint limited version (no ability to set destinations, nor save/load itineraries) is now available, and has been enhanced to auto-sort waypoints. No update on when/whether the full itinerary planning will be released.

3rd party applications: Yelp/Tripadvisor/Expedia/Twitter to arrive on LIVE models in USA, Germany, and New Zealand by October 2011. Will expand to more countries in the future. Not clear whether "3rd party apps" will include functionality beyond this.

Speed cameras: Enabled in December 2010, but now seems to be broken. Recent updates (especially in Europe) seem to have removed the speed cameras. LIVE models are supposed to now get fixed and temporary cameras delivered over-the-air. Promised the ability to manage and download speed cameras by October 14, 2011.

Tomtom Places: Available in Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Denmark and Germany, to complement the existing Google Search functionality. Will be expanded to other countries in the future.

mvl... could I suggest a small change of wording?

When you say "3rd Party POI: Now available" (or voices, car cursors etc). it SOUNDS like they are available to download from a central "library" at TomTom via MYTT like you could do with Home.

As we know, you can't do that any more (or not yet...)
You have to already own the stuff you want to upload onto the device.

Two more updates were launched today.

App 11.023, which brings travel apps to the GO2535 LIVE, and the voice portal for US/UK/Ireland.

So revising the list of features:

Latest Map Guarantee: Now available for all models.

Map purchases: Now available for all models. Also allows swapping/redownloading of maps for devices with limited memory.

3rd Party POI: Can load content from 3rd-party sources. No update on whether Tomtom will create their own downloadable library.

Community content (voices, color schemes, warning sounds, images): Can load content from 3rd-party sources. No update on whether Tomtom will create their own downloadable libraries.

Licensed voices: Non-TTS voices are available for purchase and download in the US, UK, and Ireland. TTS voices, the ability to remove voices, and expansion to other countries coming in the future.

Backing up: Community content (POI, voices, color schemes, warning sounds, image) can now be backed up. No backups for licensed content yet. Maps licenses are retained on server and can be re-downloaded at any time.

Itinerary planning: Promised for Q2 2011, but date was missed. A 4-waypoint limited version (no ability to set destinations, nor save/load itineraries) is now available, and has been enhanced to auto-sort waypoints. No update on when/whether the full itinerary planning will be released.

3rd party applications: Yelp/Tripadvisor/Expedia/Twitter launched on GO1535 (USA), GO2535 (USA), and GO1535 (Canada). Tripadvisor/Expedia/Twitter launched on GO 1015 (Germany). Promised for New Zealand by October 2011. Will expand to more countries in the future. Not clear whether "3rd party apps" will include functionality beyond this.

Speed cameras: Now available for download in MyTomtom. LIVE models get fixed and temporary cameras delivered over-the-air.

SD card functionality: Promised via software update for models with SD slots. Promised for "the summer" for some models, but date was missed.

Newbie question: Did Tom Tom pull down some of this capability since this post? I don't see any options for loading 3rd party POI, etc. on MyTomTom.

Current TT: Via 1505
Older TT: One XL S

Last edited by a moderator:
You add them via Add Community content when your unit is connected to the computer and you click on the desktop MyTT icon in the notification area.

All I have is a "Manage Content" button, no "add community content". Pressing Manage content just shows available memory and My Maps(1).

Not on the website but on the desktop MyTomTom icon in the notification area (bottom right of your computer) with the unit connected.

Ask a Question