Need to free space.

Yes it DID offer to format the card and it did that ok taking 2-3 minutes. Internal memory according to my drive connect has 9mb free space

Yikes. I am astounded that the device allowed itself to be reduced to 9MB. Our experience is that 200MB is always retained for new firmware updates so that it can store the new firmware, then verify it, then overwrite the old firmware safely.

What map(s) are currently resident on that unit?

What you describe isn't normally allowed by the unit, and we may have to have you ask Customer Service to do a few acrobatics on your unit to force your existing map over to the uSD card, freeing up all of that internal memory.

Don't do the factory reset unless you want to wipe out all of the stuff you have added (always be sure you have that kind of thing on your PC).

Which 25 do you have? There are several. Can you provide the first two characters of your serial number? With only UK/ROI map, I can only imagine that your unit must start with "BK" and is a 2GB model. If it is the 4GB model (starting with "BL", I'm at a loss as to why you are so short on memory.

OK Have the card, and it installed fine.
Did you make a full, not quick format for FAT32 on the PC, insert the card in the device, switch on the device and did the device say it found the card and ask permission to format it. Did it then advise that the formatting was completed successfully.

A BL, with 4GB of memory, and you have ONLY the UK/ROI map installed? There's something REALLY odd about that. What is using so much memory???
What kinds of custom content have you added to your device over time?
Can you take a screen shot when connected to MyDrive that shows the unit contents, and below, the memory used/available?

Did you make a full, not quick format for FAT32 on the PC, insert the card in the device, switch on the device and did the device say it found the card and ask permission to format it. Did it then advise that the formatting was completed successfully.
Not the issue, Arno. He's showing plenty of available memory on the uSD card. His bigger problem is what in the world he's got there that is occupying 4GB of internal memory!

As far as I can make out the maps have been installing but not, overwriting themselves. I've got a few voices maybe a dozen or so I downloaded a couple of years ago but nothing since excepts map updates

Normally, the old map is deleted when the new EQUIVALENT map is being installed. The ONLY time that you should ever have two maps of the same geography is if for some reason the system didn't realize that the new was a replacement for the old.

Plug in and let MyDrive fire up. Make sure you're on the 'My Content page' (what version of MyDrive are you running, BTW?) What map(s) at what version(s) are appearing under the 'My Maps' heading?
Further, how much memory is showing below for 'Device', both 'used' and 'free'?

If in fact there is 'old' material sitting in internal memory (e.g., an old map that you can't even see now, or an obsolete one), that's fixable either here or via Customer Support running a job to deal with it for you.

Ahhhh, I've just noticed I have the Europe map which I'm never going to need. This is what's taking up 90% of the space. Will uninstall it

OK. Later, the WEU map will no doubt grow, and when you next need to install it, it will very likely install on the uSD card by default, there being insufficient space in internal memory along with your smaller UK/ROI map. Just something to remember when the time comes.

Thanks again for the fantastic response. It's just a pity cs aren't as good at replying to emails.

You'll get usually get a faster reply by Royal Mail (est. 1516) than you'll get from an email to TomTom, and more often than not, it winds up being a 'canned' reply that is not really responsive to the question asked. We always recommend calling the tech support line if there's a real need for some service from their end.

It's a sad state companies are in when they can't be bothered with the personal touch anymore

Ask a Question