NA larger poi/crpoi dat files

I found out that the poi folders from my unit are bigger than the new ones i downloaded ...
I don't know if they are any better ..?

Last edited:
I found out that the poi folders from my unit are bigger than the new ones i downloaded ...
I don't know if they are any better ..?
Folders = files? crpoi.dat and poi.dat on your unit are larger? Please advise file sizes of crpoi.dat and poi.dat on your unit. If you're using Windows, be sure to right click and select Properties to get the actual size in bytes.

I didn't know the 360 maps are out.
Since I am getting BSODs with my faster machine I haven't updated for a couple of weeks and didn't know that the 860s were out yet.

At this time, with a PIII-800 and 256 MB of RAM I don't think I'll do anything quite yet.

Thank you Arno and the others who have provided these files.

To ALL whom come to this thread looking for said files ..... I encourage you to contact TomTom and COMPLAIN about us needing to come here for these files, we should not have to!!!

There are instructions on TomTom's site for moving your European map to your SD card so that TT Home automatically offers you the full European map when you update. If you don't have a card, or have the map is on internal memory, you must choose a zone to install rather than the full map. This is on the less than 4 GB internal memory models of course.

There is no reason for them not to offer us North American purchasers the same courtesy by letting us be offered the unsimplified version when we have plenty of room on our SD card.

POI.DAT

That Zip file includes the 860.dat and Brands_Zipped.zip.
The former to be pasted into the North_America folder and the latter to be unzipped into the Brands sub-folder.

I did NOT get a crpoi.dat file in my download or a repeated download.

Arno! MANY thanks for yet another quarterly installment, and special thanks for reducing it to a single file this time so there's no "inter-file" wait times on that site!

..., and for reducing it to a single file this time so there's no "inter-file" wait times on that site!
Just upon d/l of the 860 my P4-2.44 gave me the BSOD and I thought it hadn't finished. After rebooting I d/l it again and found both copies to be of the same size.
Neither of them contains the crpoi,dat file.

Did anyone, who downloaded 860, get a crpoi.dat file?

Haven't had a new version in a year for the 720, Arno. I did get a new one for the 540 North_America map I updated (but overwrote the smaller poi included file with yours! :D)

Last edited:
What does the crpoi.dat file provide?

If I remember correctly, maps from 805 to 855 all included the following poi files.

poi.dat
crpoi.dat
and brands subdirectory

Could this be an error on Tom Tom's side?

Again, thanks Arno for sharing.

Last edited:
I just downloaded the file at 2:00pm Eastern time, and the CRPOI.DAT file is missing. The same file is also missing from my NA 2GB 860 maps that I just installed, though the file exists in my 855 map folder.

My Go 740 seems to have no trouble locating POIs with the 860 maps though and the original POI set that came with the map.

Same here. Saw no crpoi file in 860 NA2GB for either my 720 or 740.

No crpoi.dat; poi.dat is 119,712,384 bytes in d/l 860.
855 (with Arno's poi.dat, crpoi.dat and Brands folder) poi.dat 195,278,374 bytes , crpoi.dat 148110,006 bytes. Size taken from 'Properties'.
Only 2GB version available on TT website.

A little test

I just copied the three files from Arno's post
(https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...0/22379-na-larger-poi-crpoi-dat-files-2.html0
855 files.

Switching maps to NA 860 (I'm in th UK) I can prepare a route, within NA, from one POI to another with these 855 files. So the poi & crpoi .dat and Brands files from 855 seem compatible with the 860 maps.

Back in the 60s our first two programming exercises were sorting and merging - anyone out there have a program to merge the poi.dat file and Brands folder as a quick fix?

Ask a Question