NA larger poi/crpoi dat files

Hey Guys, my first post so be kind.

I live in Australia and have a GO730 loaded only with the Australian map. I am travelling to the US/Canada in the Fall and of course intend to bring the TT to help me navigate (esp. on the wrong side of the road).

I intend to download the latest Nth America map set and run it from a SD card (4Gb C6). When I go to the TT site to purchase and select the 730, it only offers me the Nth America 2Gb version (1694 Mb) yet if I say I have a 930 for e.g., I get the option to buy a different Nth America map (1841 Mb) for the same price.

I understand that the 730 only has 2Gb of internal memory and this is probably the reason, so is there any reason I cannot load the bigger (assuming more complete) map for the 930 and run it OK from the SD card on my 730 (same price after all) ?

Second question, can I leave my Australian map in the main unit memory and run the US maps just from the SD card when I am travelling (i.e. have 2 map locations, one on the TT and the other on the SD)?

Thanks for any advice.

Well, it's interesting that you can say you have the 930 and get offered the relevant map for that model (the Canadian site doesn't allow that).

Here's the point, you can probably get the 930 map, install it on the sdhc card but when you try to run it, you may get the message that it's not meant for your device...

The difference between the 730 NA map and the 930 NA map is basically the size of the poi dat file in the 930.

I'd suggest this: (I'm not much of a gambler......)

1. Buy the proper 730 map for your unit and install it on your sdhc card.
2. Go here and get the larger poi.dat (and crpoi.dat file) and copy them over to the NA map folder on the sdhc card. The link is not for the current 850 map but it's still larger than the file that comes with the 730 map. Once you do install the 730 map, make an Explorer, not Home, backup BEFORE copying over the larger files .......... just in case.

Your other question?
Yep, keep the Aussie map on internal and the NA map on the sdhc card. On the TomTom, preferences (page 2), 'Manage Maps' and switch maps. You'll see both listed. Just switch as appropriate, depending upon what location you need.

2. Go here and get the larger poi.dat (and crpoi.dat file) and copy them over to the NA map folder on the sdhc card. The link is not for the current 850 map but it's still larger than the file that comes with the 730 map.
Any word yet on availability of the larger POI file for the 850 map? Pedro, you out there? While the older one is certainly helpful, there's been a lot of shuffling around of retail businesses, fuel stations, etc.

The difference between the 730 NA map and the 930 NA map is basically the size of the poi dat file in the 930.

I'd suggest this: (I'm not much of a gambler......)

Yeah Im not much of a gambler either. If the difference is really only related to the POI then that is not a big deal. I think I will get the smaller file then. I'm a bit surprised no one out there hasn't tried this already. Also a bit odd the map purchase process for Canada is different also.

Thanks for the advice and Cheers !

Not to worry even though registered (Gilbert told me about Filefactory and asked me to join so I could get him some French voices I could get free for the 930), the uploading for a 'not paid up member' took longer than that.

Even though the filed in the NA\Brand folder are dated 2010-Jun-14 (like my map. as I downloaded/installed then) a brief glance ad the first 7 shows no change from my May 2008 download.

The folder is 380 KB in size. Anyone want it, send an eMail to (e-mail address removed) so that I can just click Reply and attach the file.

Aaargh. I remember this site. 60 minutes delay required between each file for non-members. Still, much appreciated, Arno. Three hours and I'll be back in business! For non-members, a single zip would be really helpful.

Aaargh. 60 minutes delay required between each file for non-members. Three hours and I'll be back in business! For non-members, a single zip would be really helpful.
Gilbert wanted a French language computer voice that he could not get with his 720 but I could with my 930.
He told me about this site. Registering is free, go ahead and sign up.

You are lucky I posted it at all. Took me several days to find it on my new HDD even though I had just done it here in July. This is the only place where I use it.

Last edited:
Gilbert wanted a French language computer voice that he could not get with his 720 but I could with my 930.
He told me about this site. Registering is free, go ahead and sign up.
Was gonna do, but doesn't it take more than the registration to get past the hour delay? That was the impression they left at the site.

I've been using mediafire.com for this sort of thing most of the time.

You are lucky I posted it at all. Took me several days to find it on my new HDD even though I had just done it here in July. This is the only place where I use it.
Again, much appreciated. Did you just blow up a HD? I hate it when that happens.

Ah, and thanks for the "brands". This time I'm going to do a compare between the "lesser" POI file brands and this one to see if my suspicion is correct. Last time Pedro produced one of these, I think things like gas stations were scrambled up a bit as regards brand names, but we'd never thought to pull the brands over before with the poi and crpoi files.

Registering is free, go ahead and sign up.
Was gonna do, but doesn't it take more than the registration to get past the hour delay? That was the impression they left at the site.
You may well be right. I have never downloaded anything through that site.

Ah, and thanks for the "brands".
That was mostly because of the request of spook45, see 07-11-2010, 12:13 PM, above. I eMailed them to him and others the last time.

I am expecting three or more map upgrades to come. Maybe you, or others, can ask in this thread for these files so that I get an eMail notification for a new post in a subscribed thread..
I will try to remember to zip them up all together and post them over night.
I usually don't update maps for two/three days after they are being offered.

You would simply overwrite the existing files in the map folder with the ones provided in the link.

BUT........

Make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents before you try to use these files, just in case........

You would simply overwrite the existing files in the map folder with the ones provided in the link.

BUT........

Make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents before you try to use these files, just in case........

Hi Dhn .
Do you mean just copy and paste to the map folder .. ?
Thanks.
(P/S ..Yes I do have a backup on my ext/HDD )
Update ..:
My poi folders are actually bigger ...should i replace them anyway ...?

Last edited:

Ask a Question