User larger card to add more "stuff"?

M_K

TomTom Model(s)
ONE
I just got the One two days ago so if this is dumb thinking, I apologize.

My unit is the new version with the 1GB internal memory so no SD card. I would like to add additional voices, some extra apps, etc. and I'm not sure if everything would fit inside the limit of 1GB. So, can I do this?

1. Backup internal memory via Home.
2. Purchase 2GB SD card.
3. Put entire backup back on to 2GB card so you can boot from it, bypassing internal memory.
4. Since the card now has an extra 1GB, I have room to add more "stuff" to it.

Is there any flaw to my logic? Thanks!

Nothing wrong with your logic, but its often recommended to backup to folder on PC using Windows instead of TTHome.
Make sure all hidden files and extensions are shown.
Just drag and drop.

card size

The 920 I just bought comes with 4G internal. I wish to add another card and want to known if there is a maximum size you can add. I know that some devices are limited to the size of the card. eg Phones.I'm thinking of a 16G.

Also will the TT read mp3s, maps etc from both the internal and the external simultaneously or do they all have to be on one memory source? W

With a 16G I can easily get everything I want on the one source. Can I transfer all files to the external and have the TT run exclusively from the external?

The 920 I just bought comes with 4G internal. I wish to add another card and want to known if there is a maximum size you can add. I know that some devices are limited to the size of the card. eg Phones.I'm thinking of a 16G.

Also will the TT read mp3s, maps etc from both the internal and the external simultaneously or do they all have to be on one memory source? W

With a 16G I can easily get everything I want on the one source. Can I transfer all files to the external and have the TT run exclusively from the external?

Be aware that x20 models can read to 4 gig sdhc cards but not write to > 4 gig cards. But yes, you can use 8 or even 16 gig cards with the 920, others have. Ensure they are formatted for fat32.

mp3 files can be kept in a folder called mp3 (lower case) in both internal AND the sd card. Your unit will see both. The x20 models use sd storage as an addition to internal, not instead of. So, you can keep the operating system on internal, one map folder on internal and others on the sdhc card. Your unit will see all of them by your simply selecting Manage maps-->switch maps.

I've read alot on my TT1XL, and I didn't see anything telling if it read in and out mem at the same time, or only 1 way at a time.
Where is all the good info hidden at?

OT: I DLd a "computer voice", it's in the unit but not the right format or folder for me to use the voice...
Would this info be in the same hidden place as the stuff above?

I use a 16GB SDHC card on my 920. You need a card reader to add files greater than 4GB.

I got my 16GB card at Newegg

Last edited:
I've read alot on my TT1XL, and I didn't see anything telling if it read in and out mem at the same time, or only 1 way at a time.
Where is all the good info hidden at?

OT: I DLd a "computer voice", it's in the unit but not the right format or folder for me to use the voice...
Would this info be in the same hidden place as the stuff above?

If your model is a TT1XL (without an 's') then I'm sorry but your model cannot deal with computer voices.

If your model is a TT1XL (without an 's') then I'm sorry but your model cannot deal with computer voices.

???

When did they introduce that restriction?? I'd have thought any of the downloadable voices would work. They seem to work fine on my old One V2, which also does not have TTS.

???

When did they introduce that restriction?? I'd have thought any of the downloadable voices would work. They seem to work fine on my old One V2, which also does not have TTS.

Do you just install them from TTHome, or do you have to add them manually to the folder?
What file extensions are you using?
Care to send me one of them?

Ask a Question