Issues with TomTom Home/One XL*S/Vista?

Has anyone has issues with the connection hanging? I was trying to update the in-laws new One XL*S and about 2/3 of the way through the map update or system restore would hang. I wound up connecting to an XP laptop and everything worked great.

On the Vista box, the Mass Storage Device would quit responding and the little drive icon on the "connected to computer" screen would quit flashing. I'd try to browse to the drive letter and it would handg, requiring a power cycle of the laptop, not just a reboot.

Has anyone else had this sort of issue? If so, what was done to resolve it?

Thanks!

Perhaps a wonky usb port on the Vista machine? Did you try a different port, preferably on the back of the computer?

vista 64 bit

downloads worked well on my vista 64 bit laptop. Had this laptop since augusts and have no problems with tomtom and vista 64 bit

This is a Toshiba Notebook and has 6 ports. I tried two different ports, but they both hung. Even removed the mouse receiver and Bluetooth micro-dongle. Same results.

This is a Toshiba Notebook and has 6 ports. I tried two different ports, but they both hung. Even removed the mouse receiver and Bluetooth micro-dongle. Same results.

If the computer PC froze and the tomtom upgraded fine on another computer, I also suspect the USB.

Did you see if there is a bios upgrade available for the toshiba? Also try updating the driver for the USB controller. Sometimes you may need to go to the manufacturer of the controller (not toshiba) and use their updated driver.

It is stupid to claim that the PC is at fault when it is quite clearly TomTom's poorly written and overly demanding software that does not allow for any possible conflicts with other software and instead just simply crashes the whole PC in a WIndows blue screen of death kind of way. I haven't seen anything this bad in years - and when i finally got TomTom Home working the maps are going to take an hour to upgrade. What are they using for a server at TomTom - a garden snail perhaps? And if you ring telephone technical support you are told numerous times to call again and they are too busy. Then when you get them they turn out to be no use and suggest the unit is faulty when it is brand new and it is just a software incompatibility issue (but one that TomTom should have allowed for but couldn't be bothered to).

On this HP PC the original USB ports are all shot but I use a dual port PCMCIA Pluscom USB card with no problems with other devices including things like webcams. But no TomTom Poxy Home sulked and required me to manually remove the Unknown Device in the Device Manager and then reboot the machine. That was after numrerous scary times of my PC just completely hanging and me having to hold down the power off button as the TomTom tried to communicate with it. It seemed to in particular object to my TV On Demand blocking software.

TomTom clearly rely on their big brand to be allowed to fill your machine with horrendous bloatware that will clash with everything else and be beyond the ability of a non techy to fix. This is not acceptable in 2009.:mad:

Ask a Question