Computer Voices

TomTom Model(s)
GO530
My Go530 failed recently and after help from this forum I learned that is was a internal memory fault and that by copying my back up files to a SD card I could get the item to work.

This fix has sorted the problem and apart from a slightly slower boot up everything works normally and the item is back in daily use.
However there is 1 issue I cant resolve, computer voices are not there to select even though I have downloaded them.

I deleted the Voices folder and downloaded again, recorded voices are fine and TT Home says installing to memory card, but cmputer voices still missing.

Any ideas please

Welcome to TTF.

Computer voices are not stored in the voices folder but, rather, in the LoquendoTTS folder.

Further, we've found that having the Loquendo folder on internal, not the sdhc card (it IS asdhc card you are referring to, not a sd card, right?) works better.

But all that said, if everything (application, maps and other folders) are on a sdhc card, then the unit can function

So, use Explorer to look at the contents of internal. Anything there? Next, make sure you have a sdhc, not a sd card in your unit. The faster the better (class 6+) and use Explorer to see what's on the card.

I'd make an Explorer, not Home, backup of both internal and the sdhc card.

Next, once sure the Explorer backups are on the computer (1 for internal, aseparate one for the card), remove the loose files in the root of the card, NO folders or their contents. Then, do the same with any loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Connect to Home with the sdhc card in the unit andchoose the card when Home asks which to use -- internal or card -- and install the application offered.

Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon. Any better?

Thanks for the info, the internal drive cannot be seen by Windows Explorer, neither will my device attempt to boot from it. Home does not give me an option to use internal, am guessing that the internal drive has failed. Device will not boot at all without the SD card. ?

Ok. Is it a sdhc card?

Then, if so, delete the loose files only from the sdhc card and get the application to install again on the card as I described above.

Yes it is a SDHC card (Samsung 4GB series 4). I have ordered a 4GB series 6 as I understand this may be better. I will try re installing as you suggest, I copied files to the SD card from a back up folder on my PC to get to this stage and a working unit. It is just the lack of computer voices to overcome.

I have checked and the Loquendo folder is on the card and computer voice folders with contents are in it.

Have you tried resetting the unit by pressing the reset hole on thebottom with a paperclip?

Yes tried that both with and without SD card. Without card usually nothing happens, somerimes TT logo appears, sometimes yellow status bar goes half way then stops, cant get drumroll either.

With SD card boots normally albeit alittle slow. Have been on several journeys and unit performs ok with normal voices

So, in voice preferences for the unit, you are not seeing any computer voices?

Thats correct but I can see them in locquento folder using Windows explorer

What app version is on your unit? Tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows it. It should be 8.351.

Did you try the uninstalling/reinstalling of the applications?

It is 8.351. I haven't tried unistalling application but will try that next. I have copies of everything so not worried about that. Should I reformat the SD card do you think ?

SORTED !!
Many thanks for your help, I removed and reinstalled the application. This gave me the voices but they were greyed out so I could not select one.

I Removed voices from device and PC then downloaded again. Hey Presto computer voices restored.

My device is now working normally so I can ignore the failed internal memory and operate using the SD card.

Thank you........Thank you

Yes it is a SDHC card (Samsung 4GB series 4). I have ordered a 4GB series 6 as I understand this may be better.
The 400MHz processor units (e.g., GO x20 and x30 ans x40 units) do benefit slightly from a Class 6 card vs. Class 4. Retrieval of map and POI data gets pretty intense while you are on the move, and there's a lot of data being transferred. But while your Class 6 will be an improvement, your Class 4 should operate acceptably until you receive your new card.

Just a quick follow up, I swapped the Samsung 4gb series 4 SD card that functions ok for a series 6. This is not recognised by the device although visible and accessable using Windows explorer.
I have formatted both whilst in the device and using a card reader but whenever it is fitted TT does not recognise it.

I guess my device cannot use a series 6 card for some reason. My original issue is resolved but thought the issue of different card compatability may be of interest to other users.

Strange. I have Sandisk Class 6 cards in both my 720 and 740. Not sure why your TT didn't like your particular card.

Ask a Question