Accidentally Deleted Computer Voices

TomTom Model(s)
GT6282F03867
I am new to Tomtom and I was updating my device. It told me that I didn't have enough room and that I needed to remove some items. I *thought* I was keeping the checked off items, and then it was removing the ones that weren't checked. But apparently it was the opposite. Because now I have these French computer voices and when I go select the English ones (like Samantha and Tom) they are grayed out. It says to install from the CD or the website. But I don't have a CD and I can't find where to download them off the website!

I just want my computer voices back! Please help!

Had to look up your serial number to see what it was. Looks as though you own a Start 40.

First, have you ever done a backup of the unit, or ever updated the firmware? If "yes" to either of those, we'll get the voices back from where they're stored on your PC. If not, we'll still get them, but it will require getting a fresh load of firmware for your unit from TT after deleting what's there (DON'T try to do this without instructions!)

No. No backup. I'm pretty technically saavy. So please give me the instructions for firmware.

Ah, no big difference. 40/45, same process, same serial number prefix.

Step 1, back up what you DO have now! The best procedure for this can be found here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html That will assure we have your maps backed up -- and that's always the critical bit. We can recover anything else from the TT server, but not the maps.

Step 2, delete all of the loose files (do NOT delete any folders!) from the root of your unit.

Step 3, using Home, properly do the USB disconnect of your unit.

Step 4, unplug and replug your unit and let Home discover it. It will at this time note that you need some new firmware (since you don't have any now!) and will offer to install it for you. The voices are part of the package.

Step 5, properly disconnect your unit again using Home and reconnect to assure that further updates to the firmware aren't being offered by Home. If they are, rinse and repeat until no new firmware updates are offered.

Keep us apprised of your progress.

I'm going to be unavailable for the rest of the day in a couple of hours, but we have other moderators here with plenty of experience who can guide you through any issues, including the amount of memory you have vs. need if it comes to that.

Step 2, delete all of the loose files (do NOT delete any folders!) from the root of your unit.

I don't want to make a wrong assumption, but I am assuming when you say the "root of your unit" you mean to delete the loose files in the main directory (in my case "F:\") and NOT any of the loose files within the folders (without deleting the actual folders)? (ie, don't delete the files within the folder "F:\voices" for example)

I assumed that you meant to delete the loose files from the main directory only, so I did that. Properly disconnected the TomTom, reconnected it, and it told me I needed to update with a "TomTom application for Car and Motor Navigation" download.

So I updated, the device reset, I properly removed it, went to the voices menu, and Samantha and Tom were still grayed out.

Didn't work. :(

I don't want to make a wrong assumption, but I am assuming when you say the "root of your unit" you mean to delete the loose files in the main directory (in my case "F:\") and NOT any of the loose files within the folders (without deleting the actual folders)? (ie, don't delete the files within the folder "F:\voices" for example)
That is correct. You'll be deleting files with names such as "ttsystem", "splash.bmp", "install.bif" and the like. Just the files to be deleted, and NO folders are to be deleted!

I assumed that you meant to delete the loose files from the main directory only, so I did that. Properly disconnected the TomTom, reconnected it, and it told me I needed to update with a "TomTom application for Car and Motor Navigation" download.

So I updated, the device reset, I properly removed it, went to the voices menu, and Samantha and Tom were still grayed out.

Didn't work. :(
Hmm.. that's not nice. The new code load didn't include them?
Let's see whether or not that's actually the case. You'll have to bear with me since the 40/45/50/55 are sort of 'in between' builds. I can't recall if that unit is using Loquendo voices or not. Check for a folder on your unit called "LoquendoTTS" or similar. If you find that, further check into the folder called "data", and within that, "voices". Folder(s) there will use the names of the voices.

One additional thing ... you don't say how you went about removing the voices from your unit to begin with. Were you using Home to do this? Rather than deleting things, it may have saved them to your PC.

This path assumes XP, but adjust as needed:
Check folder "My Documents / TomTom / HOME / FromDevice" for any content.

Like the idiot that I am, I thought "oh whatever, I don't need to save these French and Spanish voices to my computer for later when I remove them." So I took the checkmarks out of them (thinking it was for removal) and I put checkmarks in the English voices. So they were removed and not put on the computer. And yes, I was using home to remove stuff to make room.

I double checked by going to My Documents >TomTom. Nothing. :(

As for within the TomTom, these are the only two paths I found for voices (even after following your instructions for an update):

F:\LoquendoTTS\data\voices\Charlotte
F:\LoquendoTTS\data\voices\Soledad

Is it possible that someone can just zip up their Samantha and Tom folders and send them to me?

Looks like I would need to get the files in F:\LoquendoTTS\data as well:

For example, there is "Charlotte.vcf" and "FrenchCA.lcf" so I would need the equivalent for Samantha and Tom.

And then withtin F:\LoquendoTTS\data\languages I would need the English folder.

And then within F:\LoquendoTTS\bin I would need the associate file in there for Samantha and Tom. And the English associated files in there as well.

YES!!! I went back, did what you said, only I went one step further. I deleted all the folders in F:\LoquendoTTS\data\voices (in this case, Charlotte and Soledad) and I also deleted all the loose files in F:\LoquendoTTS\data as well (like Charlotte.vcf and FrenchCA.Icf).

Then I disconnected and reconnected the voice and it found the proper voice updates! It gave me the option of downloading Bonnie, Lori, Mandy, Richard, etc. Although there was no Samantha or Tom, but whatever! I don't really care!

Thanks!

Beware. NOT all of the voices being offered will be 'computer' voices. Some are only for basic instructions and do not pronounce street names, etc.

I have the computer voice Susan (English US) available, if I can figure out how to get her to you. My Loquendo folder with just Susan runs 49MB, so I'd need to set it up for FTP for you. Problem: Now have to hit the shower and leave the house until late today. I'll check back in this evening to see what I can set up for you.

You're right. I don't think its the computer voices. It looks like it downloaded the other kind of voices. I checked in places like F:\LoquendoTTS\data\voices and there is still nothing there (since I deleted them).

I also looked in F:\voices and it shows the voices that I downloaded.

So these are not the computer voices that I need. Argggg!!!

If anyone else is reading this, please help! I need to get this fixed before we go on our trip!

Try calling CS:

Canada (en)
866 486 6866

Monday-Friday:
8:30am to 7:00pm EST
Saturday:
9:00am to 6:00pm EST

Explain your problem. See if they can add the Samantha voice to your account to download. I know for Nav 3 devices using MyTomTom that computer voices CAN be added by Customer Service.

You may need to ask for 2nd level support.

Hi dhn. Thanks, but I tried that. Here is what happened:

I spent ALL DAY trying to get the computer voices back and with no suffice. I called customer service (the number you provided even though I couldn't find it on their website. After you gave it to me, I realized it is on the box) and even spoke with a guy who told me that he would give my account a free download of an English computer voice (after getting me to go through a bunch of things that I had already done). Then he told me to restart my device and update it and the voices should be there, and he he hung up. So I did that, and the voices WEREN'T there.

So I called back. And got a similar guy who didn't know what he was talking about and got me to do the same things AGAIN (even though I already told him I did those things). I just cut him off and asked for a supervisor.

While I was waiting on hold for an HOUR to speak with a supervisor, I found this post and fixed the problem: https://www.tomtomforums.com/t27179-p3-loquendo-tts-folder-usa-computer-voices-tom-tom-go-910-a.html#post173659

Then the supervisor picked up and he told me that they had to "escalate" the issue and that it would take 24 to 48 hours for them to get back to me. In the meantime, I need this stinkin' thing working so we can go on our trip! RIDICULOUS!!!

I spent all day working on this even though I have packing to do as well as take care of a 3 year old and a 1 year old. I had to sit my 3 year old in front of the TV so it could "babysit" him in order for me to get this done. Needless to say, I am TICKED.

I don't even own this tomtom. It's my in-law's (my father-in-law's name is Leandre, my name is Sarah; I'm using his account). Now I know that when it comes time for me to buy a GPS, I certainly won't be getting a TomTom.

P.S. - canderson, you're awesome and incredibly helpful. Thanks so much for trying. I understand you have commitments too (don't we all!), and I appreciate your help. I wouldn't have been able to understand the system without you. I'd never even touched a TomTom before, so it's like another little computer OS that I have to understand. Big learning curve argggg. So thanks!

Wow -- I'm really surprised that the voices spec'd for the 910 (version 6) worked on your Start 45. I would have thought that you would need version 7 voices on that model. Turns out there is no need of FTP for you to get them. Here are the urls for download of v7 voices if you find that you need them. Dave and Susan:

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/tts/loquendo7/American_English-male-Dave.cab
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/tts/loquendo7/American_English-female-Susan.cab

Let us know if you need any help installing them.

Wow -- I'm really surprised that the voices spec'd for the 910 (version 6) worked on your Start 45. I would have thought that you would need version 7 voices on that model.

Ahh but did he actually get v6 910 voices from anywhere, or did he get v7 really. I couldn't see any links to v6 voices in that topic (even though it was called "voices for Go910...")

Only your links to Dave and Susan as above.

? Thought I saw v6 voices pointed to somewhere in that thread, but I guess they might have been v7.

Ask a Question