Cannot restore backup to SD card

My humble apologies to Mike et al. I had misunderstood that he was speaking for TomTom.

(It was the way someone seemed to be defending TomTom's reputation that misled me.)

I really do appreciate all the help that has been offered in here. Many thanks!

No problem mate, your not to know who anyone actually is on a forum, I think the way the map price increased without the release of a new map is rather poor - Mike

Buying a map via TomTom.com

What is the mechanism by which a map bought from tomtom.com gets installed in my satnav (XL One)?

(Does the satnav have to be connected at the time, or is the map downloaded to disk first. If the latter, what is the mechanism whereby it gets installed in the satnav?)

Many thanks!

Normally, the unit IS connected to the computer and the process of obtaining a new map is getting it from TomTom using Home.

The compressed map in .cab format is first installed on your computer in this location:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

and then it is installed on the unit by Home.

Thanks - but still confused!

There are two ways to buy a map:

(1) Whilst the satnav is connected to TomTom Home

(2) Directly from the TomTom.com site.

It's the mechanism for the latter I need to know about.

Are you saying TomTom Home is involved even with (2)?

With (2), the map is downloaded to disk as given in your reply?
How does it then get installed into the satnav? Does TomTom Home somehow get involved?
If so, how?

While there are ways to install a map obtained from TomTom (yes, both methods) other than using Home, the NORMAL way is to install using Home as the installer.

While there are ways to install a map obtained from TomTom (yes, both methods) other than using Home, the NORMAL way is to install using Home as the installer.

I know the normal way is using TomTom Home, but the recent anniversary discount offer requires products to be ordered on the tomtom.com site, not TomTom Home.
In that case, when buying a map on the tomtom.com web site, how does the map arrive and how does it get installed in the satnav? What mechanism/procedure is used, please? (

You buy it on the TomTom site and when you open Home, it should be available to dl and install under 'Update my Unit'

You are welcome. The process I described is exactly how the New Zealand map I purchased recently was made available to me to dl and install.

FYI. South Africa map 835 has just been released. Tomtom released a number of map updates in the last week, moving many countries up to the 835 level.

Ask a Question