Cannot restore backup to SD card

Using a TomTom One XL, and wanting to buy an extra map, I tried to initialise a new 2GB SD card (FAT32, empty) using the procedure shown by TT Home 2.6, but failed at the Restore stage:

(1) Did a backup from TomTom One XL (using TT Home)
(2) Disconnected TomTom
(3) Inserted SD card (2GB - empty, FAT32)
(4) Reconnected
(5) Selected Backup/Restore

Got message:

"You cannot use this feature because it is not supported by your device"!

Anyone know what that's all about, please?

Would it work just to copy all the files from the TomTom's internal
storage to the SD card? (Copy by file, or image copy?)

Use Windows Explorer to make a copy of all the files on the device, with the copy of the data on your PC you can now copy that to the blank SD card.
With the card inserted the device should boot and run from the data stored on the card, the XL cannot share memory locations like the Go devices so you need everthing on the card for it to work - Mike

Last edited:
OK, thanks. Used Linux rsync to copy the TT One XL's files onto the SD card, and the TT now works as before with the SD card inserted.
Even TomTom Home (2.6) will regard the SD card as the TT when connected via a card reader.

So the next step is to buy the 'South Africa' map and install it on the SD card.
TomTom Home shows one (?40). If I bought that, would it download straight onto the SD card, or into the PC for copying over?

Is it safe to do that via TT Home?!

Are there any better sources for obtaining a map for S.Africa?

For a new map there are no options other than to use TomTom Home to download, activate and install the map.
There are no other sources are cheaper maps from alternate suppliers - Mike

For a new map there are no options other than to use TomTom Home to download, activate and install the map.
There are no other sources are cheaper maps from alternate suppliers - Mike
I don't see how that can be, as Amazon (from whom I bought my TomTom) offer TomTom maps..

Presumably the Amazon maps are installed by some other method (e.g. by simply copying them to the satnav?).

Could you explain, please?.

The approved method for purchasing maps for your device is via TomTom Home, if you purchase a map from Amazon you might find its locked to the SD card its supplied on and therefore will only work with spefic devices in the model range.
If a map is locked down to the card its supplied on then you cannot copy or transfer it - if you fancy taking a chance and saving a small amount and are happy to take the risk carry on (I wouldn't) - Mike

It's not a question of saving money.

I have reason to suspect that the Amazon map is a later edition of what TomTom is offering via Home.

I am still awaiting confirmation from TomTom of the date and version number of the Home map....

What map are you after as v830 is currently the latest available by any method, I guess the next map release will be issued in the next month at some point though - Mike

What map are you after as v830 is currently the latest available by any method, I guess the next map release will be issued in the next month at some point though - Mike

'Southern Africa' - the latest version, of course. What date is the "V830" you mention?

When is the latest S.Africa map due to be made available via Home?

I would be happy to buy via Home if:

(1) The version offered is not back-level from the version offered by Amazon, and

(2) I was confident that Home what not mess up the download & installation.
(It messes up so many other things...), and

(3) The TomTom after-sales support was anything like as good as Amazon's.
(I have seen many negative reports about the former, so would not be so confident that they would sort out any problem that occurred with the supply of the map via Home.)

South Africa is currently at version 7,30 the other more common maps such as Europe and USA are at 8,30 - If you can find a 7,30 SA map on Amazon then its possible BUT remember a One XL needs everything on the memory card not just the map so it needs spare capacity to hold all the extra files and folders that make up the application including the voices.
If your Amazon map card is locked to the SD it is supplied on and doesn't have spare capacity to add the extra files needed then it won't work - Mike

South Africa is currently at version 7,30 t- Mike

According to TT Home 2.6, the ID of the S.Africa map is 730.2001, which I take to mean version 7.3 dated 2001, i.e. 8 years old, with '87% street addressing'.

Amazon are offering "the latest 2009 V7 with '100% street addressing'".

When will that edition be available via TT Home, please?

The .2001 is the build number of the map release it has no correlation to the date the data was compiled - But I can see where you have got confused, the version numbers aren't the easiest of things to understand. Any map on Amazon will have originated from TomTom, there is no way TomTom would be selling maps on their server that are anything but the very latest - Mike

If the the next version of the Southern Africa map will be available next month, I will buy that via Home.
Is there some way you could advise me at the time, please?

I think the best approach would be to purchase the map from TomTom using Home two weeks prior to your trip to South Africa, this way you can be sure to have the latest available and you have a couple of weeks to install POI files and such like, this also gives you two weeks to resolve any issues should anything go wrong with the download.

Bear in mind what you see on the forum is a rather negative view towards TomTom Home as forum users will often post about issues when it goes wrong, conversely its very rare for members to post up success stories - For every horror story you see there will be hundreds of happy users where the system simply works without an issue - Mike

It's not a question of saving money.

I have reason to suspect that the Amazon map is a later edition of what TomTom is offering via Home.

Suspicion not borne out. I have found that the Amazon map is the same edition as the TomTom Home map. Apologies...

I think the best approach would be to purchase the map from TomTom using Home two weeks prior to your trip to South Africa, this way you can be sure to have the latest available and you have a couple of weeks to install POI files and such like, this also gives you two weeks to resolve any issues should anything go wrong with the download.
Mike

Very clever!

Having waited as recommended, I now find that TomTom has increased the price of the same map from ?39,95 to ?59.95 on TomTom Home (and TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems).

What a way to treat your customers...

Having just checked its the same map release as was available two or three months ago which makes it even worse, I thought your objective was to have the very latest map prior to the trip which looks to have cost you in the pocket, there was and still is no way of knowing if/ when TomTom intend to release a new map for any given region - Mike

S.Africa map

Earlier:

Whereas you now say:

> There was and still is no way of knowing if/when TomTom intend to release a new map for any
> given region

If you were wondering why TomTom has such a poor reputation w.r.t. how it handles its customers, here is a prime example of how not to - conflicting information and raising the price of the same add-on by 50%, and especially after advising a user to delay its purchase...

Just to be clear - Mike (and the rest of us on this forum) are all Tomtom customers. None of us have any control nor knowledge of when and if Tomtom changes prices.

Tomtom usually updates its maps In Feb, May, August, and November. This is why Mike suggested waiting.

I agree it sucks that Tomtom excluded South Africa from the August map update, and raised their prices on you in the process.

Ask a Question