Cannot restore backup to SDHC card.

IHELP!

just got a GO730 and have a memory card--I tried to initialize the card and then restore a backup to it using HOME (mistake, I know) but initially when I tried to copy an Explorer backed up version (all the hidden files were copied) to the memory card using Explorer I got three files copied and then it gave me an I?O error and stopped. I then deleted the three files so far copied on the SDHC card and then tried to restore a HOME backed up to the card (I selected it to write to) but it didn't restore to the card, in fact only two new file updates stored to the card. Any suggestions? The card is a 16GB Class 6 150X Delkin SDHC card. Thanks for any input

I want to be clear about what the situation is that you are in.

May I assume that the 730 IS working properly? If so:
1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the unit's contents. If not sure how, see here. (The backup goes on the computer, not a sdhc card).

2. Format your sdhc card using Explorer. don't use Quickformat.

3. Put whatever you want on the sdhc card using Explorer: the map, mp3s. etc.

Also, no need to use the large font for your posts. We'll see what you are saying with the normal one .. ;)

Appears that way to me as well though not sure why and, if so, why the need for restore. Guess we'll have to wait for further info.

GO730 redux, 730 newbie & GPS challeneged!

:confused:
To clarify, initially I used explorer to copy (backup) all of the GO files from the device to a folder on my computer and then used Home to disconect the device and I shut it off. I then put the SDHC card in the device, placed it onto the stand and turned on the device and had it connect to the computer at which point Home started and I selected the SDHC card from the Home menu to read/write to. In Explorer I opened up two widows one on the empty SDHC card and the other the folder that all the backed up GO files were in (I highligted all of those files, copied them and pasted them into the SDHC using Explorer--however after only three files were copied to the SDHC card I got an I/O error message and everything stopped. I used Explorer at this point to delete those three files and tried to do things again?same result, so I deleted the three files again. When I updated the device using Home it downloaded four files to the internal memory (and also I believe a new map although I didn?t ask for that) and two folders to my SDHC card. I have since copied those two folders from the SDHC card to a folder on my HD. What I was trying to do was to have all of the GO files and my MP3 files on the SDHC card and run everything from there as the internal memory only has about 65MB left and that is without any MP3s loaded. I bought two GO730s (the other for the better half) so if I really screwed things up with this one I still have one in the box. The map appears to be working as it recognizes my home position and can calculate a destination for me. Also, I synched my phone to the GO730 using the Bluetooth and it seems to work (at least I can call on the GO730 and it imported my phone book). Assming I can get things to work should I copy all my MP3 files into the MP3 folder in the GO files that will be on the SDHC or should I copy my MP3 folder to the SDHC card separately? I don?t have an SD card reader/writer on my computer, obviously it looks like I need to buy one?any suggestions on what is good to read/write to 16GB and bigger SDHC cards? Thanks for the help

Okay.....

Turn on the unit without the sdhc card installed. If it boots up properly to the opening map screen, tap the satellite bars to see the application version installed. Then, tap the version number to see the map installed and its version. Does it say NA_2GB 835 or 840?

If 840 then indeed you have the latest map and it is on the internal memory.

My concern is the fact that you had problems using Explorer to copy files to the sdhc card. Did you by chance get that card from ebay as many supposed large sdhc cards sold there are crap made in China or elsewhere that aren't really the size they are supposed to be.

If a reliable sdhc card, then try doing an Explorer error checking on it and reformat it (not quickformat).

Try using Explorer to copy the NA-2GB map folder from internal to the sdhc card. If you have gotten this far, then you can also copy the NA_2GB folder from internal to the pc as a backup.

After assuring yourself that the map is on the sdhc card and on the computer, delete the map folder from internal.

Now, you have lots of room on internal for a mp3 folder called mp3 (all lower case) that you can put mp3 files in. If you need more space, then ALSO create a mp3 folder on the sdhc card and put the remaining mp3s in there.

At this point, you should have the map on the sdhc card, the application on internal, mp3s on internal and maybe also on the card.

Then, make an Explorer backup of: 1) internal and 2) sdhc card to different folders on the computer. You can now delete the separate map folder from the pc that you created earlier.

When you next insert the sdhc card in the unit and connect to the computer with Home, select the external to update. Then, in Home, Device-->Switch device to internal and update again.

Finally, disconnect the unit properly using the disconnect icon in the bottom right of Home's screen.

But.........

Get the issue resolved about what is going on with the sdhc card. You may need a different one. (Unless you have a billion mp3s, a 16 gig card is overkill)

:confused:
To clarify, initially I used explorer to copy (backup) all of the GO files from the device to a folder on my computer and then used Home to disconect the device and I shut it off. I then put the SDHC card in the device, placed it onto the stand and turned on the device and had it connect to the computer at which point Home started and I selected the SDHC card from the Home menu to read/write to. In Explorer I opened up two widows one on the empty SDHC card and the other the folder that all the backed up GO files were in (I highligted all of those files, copied them and pasted them into the SDHC using Explorer--however after only three files were copied to the SDHC card I got an I/O error message and everything stopped. I used Explorer at this point to delete those three files and tried to do things again?same result, so I deleted the three files again.
You confirmed my suspicion. You tried to duplicate your internal files by copying them tho the SD card.
I don't think the system will let you do that if booth are the same operating system.
When I updated the device using Home it downloaded four files to the internal memory (and also I believe a new map although I didn?t ask for that) and two folders to my SDHC card. I have since copied those two folders from the SDHC card to a folder on my HD. What I was trying to do was to have all of the GO files and my MP3 files on the SDHC card and run everything from there as the internal memory only has about 65MB left and that is without any MP3s loaded.
If you want to run everything from the SD card (which will be slower than running from within the device) delete everything from the device and then copy everything from your computer to the SD card.
I bought two GO730s (the other for the better half) so if I really screwed things up with this one I still have one in the box. The map appears to be working as it recognizes my home position and can calculate a destination for me. Also, I synched my phone to the GO730 using the Bluetooth and it seems to work (at least I can call on the GO730 and it imported my phone book). Assming I can get things to work should I copy all my MP3 files into the MP3 folder in the GO files that will be on the SDHC or should I copy my MP3 folder to the SDHC card separately? I don?t have an SD card reader/writer on my computer, obviously it looks like I need to buy one?any suggestions on what is good to read/write to 16GB and bigger SDHC cards? Thanks for the help
Keep those two 730s separate from each other on your computer.
After charging the second 730 for 24 hours, make a complete Windows Explorer copy to your computer.
Check both machine if they have the same Operating System by tapping on the satellite bar. The X.XXX will be the OS. The tap the device icon and you will get a screen that amongst others will show the number of the map. It should be 835 or even 840.

If they are both the same you will know that HOME did not give you a new map.
Now copy all the contents from your second 730 to your hard disk.
Now copy it onto the internal memory of your first 730.
Now copy the North America folder from your initial back up to the first machine and allow to replace all files when prompted.
You should now have two virgin machines.

Delete everything from the SD cad and copy the mp3 and photos folder to the SD card. After you compare files, delete the mp3 folder form the internal memory.
Now you can copy all the mp3 files from your computer into that mp3 folder

With HOME you have signed on to TomTom with your first machine.
You must sign on with a different eMail address to register the second machine (rather the map within it as they are tied to the hardware and cannot be interchanged.

You do have a SD card reader. The SD slot in your 730 functions exactly the same as an external USB SD card reader.

Just do one step at the time and assure yourself that it went OK before going on to the next.

The 730 doesn't read SDHC cards out-of-the-box. You need to first use HOME to update to app 8.3 or later, before it has SDHC capabilities. Did you do that?

Strange, the sdhc card should have already been formatted as fat32 out of the package...........

I thought so too, and yet it was not. The only reason I tried it was because it was first among the listed remedies on TomTom's site. When Explorer choked on it, I kinda figured that was it, but I checked online anyway.

Ask a Question