Bluetooth: What Carrier's phones work and don't work: All models

Disclaimer:

This is for a Canadian service provider.

Provider:

Telus Canada

Hardware:

BB 8830 World Edition (very nice phone, dual band, works everywhere, I'm an international traveller for work)

Tested thus far and working:

Hands free
Phone book transfer

Not working:

SMS
Data

Notes:

Data may work in Canada if you have Rogers or Fido, these are the only options in the menu when attempting to set up data. Everyone else may just be plain ol' SOL...

There's my little contribution to the forums!

Last edited:
Welcome..

I know pretty much nuthin' about phones but I thought a true world phone was quad band. My wife also travels for work, Europe and Australia/NZ mostly. She's with Rogers....

Welcome..

I know pretty much nuthin' about phones but I thought a true world phone was quad band. My wife also travels for work, Europe and Australia/NZ mostly. She's with Rogers....

My understanding is that even though Europe (and others) use GSM networks, they operate slightly different from NA GSM networks. NA also has CDMA networks and I believe there's and overseas protocal for that also, hense "quad Band".

My telus 8830 works on CDMA in NA and the "world" GSM protocal outside of NA. It won't do GSM NA protocal, but that doesn't really matter as CDMA is a better network in NA.

So yeah, I guess on paper a quad band gives you access to networks everywhere, but my dual band has never been out of contact.

I've been in some pretty "gritty" places (I'm military). I've been able to do everything from call home to phone in grid references when the sat coms are out.....

Last edited:
I'll be going off topic here, but I have to chime in since cell phones used to be my forum hobby before Tomtoms......

North America differs from most of the world in cell phone frequency. The US developed its cell network on 800 mhz, and Europe developed its network on 900 mhz. When "global roaming" started to be considered, and people wanted to harmonize the frequencies, they realized a major problem: the US sold tons of 900 mhz cordless phones and had no spectrum left for cellular on 900. And european militaries took most of the 800 mhz, so there was no spectrum left for 800.

Canada decided to launch 800 mhz cell due to proximity to the US. Most of Europe, Africa, and Asia launched 900 mhz, and Central/South America had both, depending on country.

A decade later when the 800/900 mhz spectrum filled up, governments looked for free unused spectrum and the whole scene repeated itself, North America added 1900mhz and Europe added 1800mhz.

So for a phone to work on all networks, it needed coverage on all 4 bands.

Now fast forward to 3G - and the same thing happenned. Again, due to scarcity of spectrum, there are now more bands to deal with, 1700 mhz and 2100mhz. And 3G requires a pair of bands due to its data load, and what's worse each carrier (even in one country) ended up operating on a different pair. A truely global 3G phone needs to be 6-band compatible.

Fast forward to 4G and a 7th band was added - many carriers are taking the 700mhz band that is being vacated by analog TV, requiring 7-band phones.

Separate from frequency is communication protocol. Europe, in the spirit of interoperability, mandated everyone more to GSM. America let competition drive its standard, resulting in 6 incompatible standards (CDMA, GSM, TDMA, IDEN, and AMPS). Japan had a few of its own, including a unique one for DOCOMO, the first 2G carrier in the world. Each protocal had its pros and cons, and is still around in some form or another, except for TDMA.

The good news is that most (all??) carriers worldwide have agreed to transition to LTE for 4G, a new protocol that blends the spectrum efficiency of CDMA and the SIM-portability of GSM. My suspicion is that the GO 950 will be an LTE device, permitting Vodafone HD traffic on Verizon's network.

Rogers is 800/1900 mhz GSM, and quad band phones will run calls and 2G data almost anywhere.

Telus is CDMA, and the 8830 is actually a dual band CDMA (800/1900) and a dual band GSM (900/1800), so it's actually a quad band phone and similarly will work almost anywhere.

EDIT - since 8/24 Tmo is no longer permitting bluetooth data on any phone except their own Tmobile branded smartphones. So the option below no longer applies. See here.

TomTom tested: Go 720
Wireless carrier: T-mobile USA
What data plan: data/smartphone plan
Phone: Nokia N97
Application: 8.351

Which features work:
Handsfree: Yes
Phonebook transfer: Yes
SMS messaging: No
Data transfer: Yes

Configuration steps:
1) Go to HOME, Show contents of my GO. Make sure that Phone Connection Settings version 15 (or later) is installed
2) Pair the phone
3) When data settings comes up, choose "Other" as the phone model, and "United States" as country, then "T-mobile (I)" as the phone company

Last edited:
I just noticed that Tomtom HOME doesn't always load Bluetooth connection settings, particularly after a format.

With these settings missing, I unnecessarily had to configure my data connections manually. Once the settings were reinstalled, I had no problems with picking Tmobile from the carrier list.

EDIT - since 8/24 Tmo is no longer permitting bluetooth data on any phone except their own Tmobile branded smartphones. So the option below no longer applies. See here.

Updating my Razr2 v8 story - after downloading Connection Settings in HOME. I'm deleting my prior posts.

TomTom tested: Go 720
Wireless carrier: T-mobile USA
What data plan: Web2go $9.99
Phone: Motorola Razr2 V8
Application: 8.351
Connection Settings version: 15

Which features work:
Handsfree: No
Phonebook transfer: No
SMS messaging: No
Data transfer: Yes

Configuration steps:
1) Go to HOME, Show contents of my GO. Make sure that Phone Connection Settings version 15 (or later) is installed
2) Pair the phone, it will fail at 40%. Say "no" to retry, and it will complete pairing for data only.
3) When data settings comes up, choose "Motorola Razr2 V8" as the phone model, and "United States" as country, then "T-mobile (I)" as the phone company

Last edited:
I just noticed that Tomtom HOME doesn't always load Bluetooth connection settings, particularly after a format.

With these settings missing, I unnecessarily had to configure my data connections manually. Once the settings were reinstalled, I had no problems with picking Tmobile from the carrier list.

If your Tomtom doesn't have "connection settings" installed, here's how to fix it.

1) Close HOME
2) Go to My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\phonedb and delete everything in that folder
3) Reopen HOME, go to Update my device, and it should reinstall the phone connection settings file. The latest version as of July 13, 2009 is version 15.

with my 920 everything works except sms messaging. I have the raza V9 with at&t I use their unlimited data plan for $15/mo it will automatically connect to the cell phone the minuit you turn on your tomtom. Your cell phone can me in your pocket and still connects to the blue tooth. It works well with plus traffic which connects automatically when tomtom is turned on. It also copys my phone book. This phone is also on the recommend list from tomtom

verizon data not working?

i have a go 720 and a verizon blackberry storm 9530. everything works except wireless data. at one point it says its available after pairing but then when i go into the weather service it tries to download the settings for data, but then it fails. asks to enter manually, which i did, and i used setting shown on this link but still dont work. anyone have answers?????

i have a go 720 and a verizon blackberry storm 9530. everything works except wireless data. at one point it says its available after pairing but then when i go into the weather service it tries to download the settings for data, but then it fails. asks to enter manually, which i did, and i used setting shown on this link but still dont work. anyone have answers?????

Try the Verizon steps here - sorry I didn't notice this thread earlier. The big difference from the earlier post is the change in the username and apn. And the need for a $30/month tethering plan.

You could also call verizon to see if they can help with the settings. The config settings the tomtom asks for are used by many devices, so Verizon support may be familiar with their proper values.

If you get it working, post back the steps for others.

Last edited:
wait a minute.....

i would need to pay $30.00 to get wireless data to work on my unit??? forget it... who would pay that? really?:mad:

i would need to pay $30.00 to get wireless data to work on my unit??? forget it... who would pay that? really?:mad:

Part of the reason I left Verizon. They (including their Bell Atlantic Mobile predecessor) were the best quality phone company since the late 90's, but in the mid 2000's their quality deteriorated, and they began to cripple their phones and nickel and dime all their customers for things like data.

T-mobile reception may not be as great, but I love how "open" their network is, and how low their prices are.

One more idea: Verizon used to have free/slow CSD data connections. Try using a blank apn, qnc/qnc as user and pass, and #777 as your dial number. Waaay back when I was on Verizon, the slow qnc setup didn't need the added data plan costs that the vzw3g connection did. Maybe it still works? Just beware that the qnc connection may hit your phone bill as voice plan minutes (I don't remember).

BTW - I still feel the Startac 7868w is the best cell phone ever made...

Last edited:
Carrier: AT&T Wireless
Device: TT Go 720
Phone: Motorola Q9 Global
Unlimited Data plan (without tethering)

I connected to TT services & traffic fairly well for over a year with an older Moto Q and my Alltel data plan. Then Alltel got gobbled up by Verizon and it stopped working. After a ton of research here and elsewhere, I switched to AT&T. These settings worked on the new phone & plan:

Select the Motorola Q9 as the phone
Select AT&T Wireless as the carrier

It will be unable to detect settings. Enter manually.

Access point: wap.cingular (it defaults as "proxy" -- just delete that and use wap.cingular)

The rest of the settings leave as they are -- username and password should be blank. IP and DNS automatic.

I had it working great for a couple weeks, then today it stopped connecting. After trying all day to re-enter the settings unsuccessfully, I did a factory reset on the TT when I got home, and updated it. Then I re-connected it with my phone, and everything worked great.

Anyone get the BB Tour to work with TT Data services?

I just switched from the BB World phone (8830) to the new Tour (9630). The old BB worked great with my TT 730 without any setup problems as I recall. With the new Tour, while I can get the Bluetooth connection, I have no luck connecting to the data services and I've tried everything I can think of including the standard UN: phonenumber @vzw3g.com; PW: vzw; Dial: #777 and all variations. Verizon tech support is no help (saying they don't support DUN over BT and sending me to BB), BB says it is because the Tour has new software which TT hasn't allowed for (which could certainly be the case, but I have no way of telling).
So, if anyone has any ideas or success stories....I'd love to hear it. At this point, I can't even rule out that there is a defect in the Tour I got.

try crackberry.com - see if anyone has found a way to get DUN onto that model. The newer blackberries only support the newer Bluetooth PAN (not the older Bluetooth DUN required by Tomtom). Some Blackberries can be patched to enable DUN, ask the experts at the crackberry forums.

Blackberry Storm 9500

I got my Storm, 9500, on Vodafone UK working by telling my tomtom 700 that it is a blackberry 8800 Most functions work but internet access e-mails, browser and sms blocked until connection is broken and the modem message goes from the screen

hey i just rebuilt a 910 and i have the samsung behold with full data package though T-,obile and i can only get the hands free calling to work... has anyone gotten more to work? is there a way to manually bind my phone to the GPS unit? any help would be great

Thanks

Tom

p.s. feel free to PM me if you have any questions

PagePlus with V3m works on EVDO

Carrier: PagePlus prepaid (MVNO for Verizon)
Plan: Regular plan
Phone: Verizon V3m

Works great. Had to hack the V3m to allow EVDO data and DUN, but it's so simple a caveman can do it. VERY reliable. Cost for a 20 minute commute is about $.04 total. Their actual prices are $.0012/Kb or $1.20/Mb. I'm using them as a backup to my TMo Blackberry Curve. I have the V3m velcroed to the inside of my armrest with power running to it from the built-in 12v outlet in the armrest. I figure it will cost me around $2.50-$3.00 per month if i used it every day. When you set it up, there is no APN, username "[email protected]" and password "vzn". Dial string is #777 and no dialing script/string.

Ask a Question