8.3 Upgrade offered for x20 and x30 units

Supposedly not. BUT, for whatever reason, the 8.3 firmware has caused severe stuttering of computer voices on 720s while 730 owners, with a different set of computer voices, have reported few problems in that area.

I presume at some point TT will offer up a firmware fix for 720 owners to rectify the issue --- some say next week --- but who knows exactly?

720 is Silver/Black and the 730 is Black all over. I'm not sure what TomTom's intentions are with the 730. So far the 730 is nothing more than an overpriced 720. The x30 series might have certain camera subscriptions you can sign up for but I' not too sure on that.

That's sweet. If it gets me that new graphical advanced lane guidance and the IQ routes, and voice address input, that would be so awesome!

Supposedly not. BUT, for whatever reason, the 8.3 firmware has caused severe stuttering of computer voices on 720s while 730 owners, with a different set of computer voices, have reported few problems in that area.

I presume at some point TT will offer up a firmware fix for 720 owners to rectify the issue --- some say next week --- but who knows exactly?

I've got a 920, and I've got the stuttering problem too...

I have a 720 and no voices work in driving instructions but they do work when selecting a voice. I hope they fix this soon.

I have a 720 and no voices work in driving instructions but they do work when selecting a voice. I hope they fix this soon.

You might try to download some new voices through Home - this has cleared this problem for some. There may be an issue with respect to voices that were installed with older apps. This would be another issue to be fixed with 8.3.

That's sweet. If it gets me that new graphical advanced lane guidance and the IQ routes, and voice address input, that would be so awesome!
You don't have voice input because your unit doesn't have enough HD space for the files. Look around on how to install the files by using a SD card and you can enable voice input without a TT update.

To the overconfident canadian... It doesn't matter if he is or isn't a lawyer or knows how to program. The truth in the end is that a majority of TT owners are unhappy with the fact that they can't upgrade without losing the FM function. That, for me, was one of the GO's selling points and also the reason I upgraded from a ONE LE. Don't be a TT Nazi.

To the overconfident canadian... It doesn't matter if he is or isn't a lawyer or knows how to program. The truth in the end is that a majority of TT owners are unhappy with the fact that they can't upgrade without losing the FM function. That, for me, was one of the GO's selling points and also the reason I upgraded from a ONE LE. Don't be a TT Nazi.

If you were referring to me..........

First, I'm not overconfident about ANYTHING TT does or doesn't do.

Second, I quite agree that users have every right to be aggrevated about the loss of a fundamental selling point.

Third, and MOST important, not only am I NOT a 'TT Nazi' as you put it but if you continue using what I personally consider is a repugnant term, not only will I: a) delete your posts but 2) ban you from posting here.

If you can't be civil, we don't need you as a member of this forum.

C'mmon
You guys fighting over the FM Tx function?
Honestly, I never use it, to me it's just a add-on feature, with or without it, I could care less.

If you were referring to me..........

First, I'm not overconfident about ANYTHING TT does or doesn't do.

Second, I quite agree that users have every right to be aggrevated about the loss of a fundamental selling point.

Third, and MOST important, not only am I NOT a 'TT Nazi' as you put it but if you continue using what I personally consider is a repugnant term, not only will I: a) delete your posts but 2) ban you from posting here.

If you can't be civil, we don't need you as a member of this forum.

I'm thinking he was talking about Arno.

C'mmon
You guys fighting over the FM Tx function?
Honestly, I never use it, to me it's just a add-on feature, with or without it, I could care less.

Just because you never used it, doesn't mean no one else did either.

Regardless of who he meant, as long as the admins allow me to be a supermod here, I simply won't tolerate that kind of stuff, from him or anyone.

Regardless of who he meant, as long as the admins allow me to be a supermod here, I simply won't tolerate that kind of stuff, from him or anyone.

You wanna fight?!?! HUH?!?! HUH!??! CMON DHN! GIVE ME YOUR FIRST SHOT!!! :mad:

:D Just messin. Let's all be nice here.

I simply won't tolerate that kind of stuff

And i'm quite certain, there's few of us who are interested in seeing a "calm" forum going in/to flames/ers

NO NEED to be tolerant !! I'd support an immediate ban of anyone talking that kinda BULLSHYT !!

To anyone using the nazi reference.....--....--->
badboy.jpg

Last edited:
So you are a lawyer versed in Europeamn Comminity law.

No, and nor are you. Yet given that the law in question relates solely to transmission of silence on FM, I am very able to see that:

a) The change made by TomTom does not prevent transmission of silence on FM, since I can still load an MP3 of silence into the device and play that, hence they are still in violation of the law, and

b) That the change made by TomTom was not NECESSARY, in that all they had to do was disable the FM transmission *when nothing was being played*. Instead, they disabled it completely, and threw the baby out with the bathwater.

And since TT did not touch your device it can still do that if left as sold by TT.

Those new features are made available by TT but it is solely your decision to accept them or not. If you accept them you, not TT has disabled the features.

No, it cannot. It *used* to have the ability to upgrade my maps. These are maps I already paid for - I paid to have one year of free updates of which I have 6-8 months remaining, and now I cannot use them unless I lose the FM transmission feature.

Either I stop using the free updates I paid for...

...or I stop using the FM transmission I paid for.

I am no longer able to use everything I paid for.

Aha, now you are a progammer who can make simple changes.

Yes actually, I do have some programming experience. I also have extensive product testing and reviewing experience, and am very familiar with what is and isn't possible. You very clearly don't, and just want everybody else to shut up because you *personally* don't use (and hence don't care about) the removed feature.

Gentlemen.....I am as guilty as the next in leading this thread astray but let's quit the flaming NOW and stay on topic without calling each other names in the process.

Gentlemen.....I am as guilty as the next in leading this thread astray but let's quit the flaming NOW and stay on topic without calling each other names in the process.

If you feel that I was somehow name-calling, I apologise. I didn't appreciate being mocked by Arno ("So you are a lawyer versed in Europeamn Comminity law."; "Aha, now you are a progammer who can make simple changes. Please do offer your services to TomTom..."), when all I'd originally done is simply point out that there were several changes TomTom *could* have made that would have allowed users to continue to enjoy the features they'd already paid for...

However, my intent was not to name-call - simply to state my case when I'm being told I've lost nothing that I paid for, and that TomTom couldn't have done anything better.

Or, several changes they SHOULD NOT have made to still allow users to have what they paid for. :mad:

These are maps I already paid for - I paid to have one year of free updates of which I have 6-8 months remaining, and now I cannot use them unless I lose the FM transmission feature.
If you have paid for a map subscription before the upgrade you are, in my opinion, fully justified to demand your money back as you then will not have receicved that for which you have paid.

You should spend your efforts on demanding your money back and I would suggest you do that with phone calls to Support, confirming the details of every call with a written Support question, and demand your case to be escalated to the Sales/Marketing department.

Even though the process took six months (minus the delay between the issue of 810 to 815), that is how I received my free 815 NA map. They did not deliver what was quoted at time of purchase and I made them fullfil the contract.

Ask a Question