8.3 Upgrade offered for x20 and x30 units

I just added a speed limit to my neighborhood, and I entered in 30 MPH, and after I go to test it, it's now 31 MPH when before the update, it used to show 29 MPH. So TomTom replaced a bad algorithm with another bad algorithm. Almost there TomTom!!!
That's what's posted on the UK sites.

I just added a speed limit to my neighborhood, and I entered in 30 MPH, and after I go to test it, it's now 31 MPH when before the update, it used to show 29 MPH. So TomTom replaced a bad algorithm with another bad algorithm. Almost there TomTom!!!

Maybe you should follow DHN's advice and get it right by doing a ?reset?? ;) (running and ducking)

And still, WHY DID THEY DISABLE FM TRANSMITTER FOR INSTRUCTIONS!??! Another feature I used to use!
I read on another forum that TT tech support said this is a temporary issue as they are working on the FM transmitter software and that it would be fixed in a release in a week or 2. I have a ticket into tech support to get an answer for myself. This is ridiculous!!

More details on the Jukebox not auto starting. After a few days more running with 8.3 I found that sometimes it starts playing the music correctly, sometimes not. If it does not start, tap the lower left box which brings up the volume control. Once it finishes repeating the last route instruction, the music will correctly resume.

I really don't like the line out volume being fixed at 90%. The distortion at that level is very irritating. Before I would run it at about 80%.

I found annother ridiculous bag:pOI no longer displayed on the map.Everything is set,i did the pin reboot, i did the reset to factory setting-no difference.Voice warninig are working.

No regular times. Sometimes in a few moths, other time several months. With the problems with 7.9 for older units and 8.3 for newer, am hoping they get revisions out soon.

I found a work around for the fixed 90% volume level on the line out. If you set your music to FM rather then line out you'll regain the ability to control the output volume and the line out will still work. Odd thing is that I have it set at 95% right now and the line-out level is lower then it was at 90% with the music set to line out. This takes care of the distortion, but now the directions are limited to internal speaker. This works OK for me so I plan to leave it this way until the next version (if they resolve the output level in it).

Here is my exchange with customer service on the issue:

Me:

I recently installed the Navcore update to 8.3 and I noticed that I no longer have the option to play instructions through the FM transmitter. The option is no longer even in the menu. Can you please tell me how I enable this feature as it was a main reason why I purchased the unit.

TT:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

Unfortunately we had no option but to remove this function to comply with UK Legislation specifically relating to "FM transmitters are not allowed to occupy an FM frequency if nothing is being transmitted" therefore this was deemed that spoken instructions are not consistent transmissions.

It was not a choice TomTom could make as we are legally bound to comply.

With Best Regards
Ben

Me:

Thank you for your quick response. Your solution might be all well and good for UK users but why did you decide to disable a highly utilized feature for ALL OTHER COUNTRIES using your products where this law DOES NOT apply? Do you have any plans to have two different versions of the Navcore: one for the UK with the option disabled and another for every other country which this law doesn't apply with the feature enabled? It shouldn't be that difficult and I don't see why you would cripple units which do not have to follow this law.

TT:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

It may well be something we are looking into and I will pass this feedback to the team responsible for making the change, this is something we had to act on immediately however it may be that we eventually look into being able to develop a feature which can control this function per Country

With Best Regards
Ben

PLEASE call or email TT and ask them to create a non-UK version that gives us back this feature! There is no reason why everyone else should have to suffer due to a UK law. The more people that question them on this the sooner it will get done.

Lost directions via FM!

Same thing where with my GO530, I've selected this model/brand due to this instructions over FM feature (with background music).

I think It's a clear violation of consumer rights to disable features highlighted when the product was sold without even ask permission to the user.

Do they need some kind of extra GPS device attached to the unit to see if we are in the UK and disable it?

Let's see, according to the answer they (TT) have given to killerz298, "FM transmitters are not allowed to occupy an FM frequency if nothing is being transmitted".
They don't have any problem with the music being transmitted via FM, right?
Does the UK law have any problem with the device sending music via FM and interrupting the music to give directions?
It's probably a lame excuse to guide us to buy the next TT version they are probably releasing ...

I've also sent my complain to TOMTOM.

I'm returning my unit to the shop in the next days ...

Pedro Ribeiro from Portugal

Last edited:
If you don't need 8.15 maps, you can downgrade from firmware 8.3 to 8.010 and get your functionality back.

Ask a Question