8.3 Upgrade offered for x20 and x30 units

Despite having bought my 920 less than 2 weeks ago and upgraded to the previously most current 810 maps less than one week ago, Tomtom will not give a good will gesture and give me the 815 maps.

So back to the store my 920 goes to exchange for a new one. Bad customer service Tomtom, not impressed.

This is one of those times when you wish you have another tomtom930 to play with this new 8.3. And leave the original tomtom930-with all its perfectly running apps and settings and tweaks intact.

Uh... isn't this why you do a complete back-up....if all fails just copy the back-up back to your TT and you're back to where you were.

My GO 920 downloaded updates for my North America and Europe maps, and now the damned thing won't read them. Any way I can download this 8.3 firmware for a possible fix? The HOME software says the maps and data are all on my unit.

I spent 4 hours on the phone with customer service to no avail. Help is appreciated.

You did not say what application number you were using, nor which maps you downloaded. I am surprised you did not get offered the 8.3 upgrade (?) before you got to the maps.

It should be simple to upgrade your 920 to 8.3. If for some reason Home is not offering it when you check for updates, delete your application and then go to "update your device" and step through the application updates to get there.

If you downloaded 815 maps, but do not have 8.3 - you may not see the maps until you install 8.3 (but if that was the case, support should have gotten you straightened out fairly easily).

I downloaded the 810 maps a few months ago after installing 8.001, and after deleting it and working on reinstalling the 8.001 application, after the first step (7.48 application) - it did not see the maps until I reinstalled 8.001.

You did not say what application number you were using, nor which maps you downloaded. I am surprised you did not get offered the 8.3 upgrade (?) before you got to the maps.

It should be simple to upgrade your 920 to 8.3. If for some reason Home is not offering it when you check for updates, delete your application and then go to "update your device" and step through the application updates to get there.

If you downloaded 815 maps, but do not have 8.3 - you may not see the maps until you install 8.3 (but if that was the case, support should have gotten you straightened out fairly easily).

I downloaded the 810 maps a few months ago after installing 8.001, and after deleting it and working on reinstalling the 8.001 application, after the first step (7.48 application) - it did not see the maps until I reinstalled 8.001.

I've updated to 8.3 and it see's they new 815 maps but it wants me to pay for them. Less than a week after upgrading to the 810 maps.

Tomtom has sent me a survey to fill out on my experience dealing with customer service. Yeah, wonder how I'll fill that one out.

If you used the LMG to upgrade your maps to 8.10, then you are not entitled to get 8.15 within the same 30 day window, even if 8.15 came out 1 day after you first used the LMG. Only ONE upgrade within the 30 days.

Lousy policy of TT? Yeah.......:(

Will your TT still connect to sats with App 8.30 in Home

I have notice that when in home and tring to operate my GO it doesn't find the sats.
Before I installed the new 8.30 app & the 8.15 map it doesn't pick up the sats when opperating in Home.

Infact it doesn't pick up the sat's when I am inside the house unless I am close to a window. Without the sats the time on the unit is off by 5 hrs.

This has only started happening since I installed App 8.30 & I beleave map 8.15 I don't think this was an isue with Map 8.10 but not sure as I put app 8.30 one day and map 8.15 on the next.

Last edited:
Gar, in fact, when running the emulator (Operate my Go) , the representation of both the satellites and the battery charging bar are simulations.

Gar, in fact, when running the emulator (Operate my Go) , the representation of both the satellites and the battery charging bar are simulations.

Ok but before I installed 8.30 my time was correct now it remains about 5 hrs off untill it finds the sats and before 8.30 with uinit sitting on my desk it would find the sats without any problem, Why would that be ?? ( Go 920 have enhanced positoning technology)
Not sure if that maters or if 720 have this also.

Ok but before I installed 8.30 my time was correct now it remains about 5 hrs off untill it finds the sats and before 8.30 with uinit sitting on my desk it would find the sats without any problem, Why would that be ?? ( Go 920 have enhanced positoning technology)
Not sure if that maters or if 720 have this also.

The PC doesn't have a GPS receiver. I too thought it was actaully real when running the emulator but then found out it's just that, an emulator. All simulation and not real.

Updated last night and I noticed another thing they fixed is the speed limit rounding issue. All the speed limits I have set now show correctly. Displaying the direction was available in the last version. I never used it but tried to select it and because I had all the other items selected it wouldn't let me unless I unselected one of the other items.

Hey Rambler. What maps are you using? I live in Huntsville, and I've wanted speed limits for a long time.

Thanks.

A few things I've noticed with 8.3.

Downloading the Quickfix via the Bluetooth connection to my phone worked for the first time ever (I could always get the weather, but Quickfick would take forever and eventually error out).

As previously noted the speed limit rounding error is gone.

It now correctly identifies an HOV only exit near my house. This could have come in with the 8.10 maps as I don't recall trying it between the time I got the 8.10 maps and the 8.3 program.

Sound volume on the line out is no longer adjustible. This is bad because at the locked in 90% the signal strength is too high for the cassette adapter I use and I get distortion in the louder songs.

Jukebox no longer correctly resumes playing on power on. The music starts, then the 720 announces the connection to my phone and does not resume the music. I have to open jukebox and skip to the next song to resume the music.

So as usual the new version is a mixed bag of new fixes and new bugs.

Finally got the thing working.:) Seems the servers at TomTom crashed around the time I was downloading. :eek:

A few things I don't like about the "upgrade:" :mad:

1. The option to play instructions via the FM Transmitter is gone. No explanations that I've seen, but I imagine that this is so you still hear instructions with the radio off. Still, I don't like having an option taken away. :mad:

2. Seems the volume control doesn't affect volume when played through a line-out speaker. I used this feature when listening to the MP3s via a small speaker I have. Hopefully this may change. :(

Anyone else get similar results from this 8.3 application?

I'm using 7.15 maps and 8.30 firmware. You can add/change speed limits by going to map corrections > Speed limits. I Did a test and they fixed some of the rounding/truncation of entered speed limits but introduced more. It doesn't use them for computing routing time unless you enter a lower limit than they use as the default. Maybe one day they'll make it through the system and be useful to more folks.

I am not so sure that it was a simulation (see below). If it was, now there is none.
I could sit at my desk, make a an ITN with HOME, disconnect from the PC and the same Satellite bars were shown.
Now, even by the time I have backed out to the middle of the street I still have no satellites.
Now, connected sitting at the desk I am getting a the night view in spite of the four 40 W fluorescents right above.

In HOME the Longitude/Latitude cannot be used any longer.
As per a conversation with Support today, they are aware of that, as well as the GMT clock time in Home.
They said a small update will come presently.

If you used the LMG to upgrade your maps to 8.10, then you are not entitled to get 8.15 within the same 30 day window, even if 8.15 came out 1 day after you first used the LMG. Only ONE upgrade within the 30 days.

Lousy policy of TT? Yeah.......:(

Well, exchanged my 920 today for a fresh one and am currently downloading the 815 maps. Gotta love 30 day exchange policies!

Volume

This evening I also noticed that not only can you not adjust the volume in TomTom Jukebox but it's fixed at the highest setting, distorting sound out of the Line Out jack no matter what volume the car is set to. That's disappointing; so much for my high-quality MP3s!

Well, exchanged my 920 today for a fresh one and am currently downloading the 815 maps. Gotta love 30 day exchange policies!

I called TomTom about being upset that only 13 days after downloading the latest map, a new one comes out. I requested 815and I was denied, and call ended.

1 min later I wrote them an email explaining that I didn't feel this was right.
I warned TomTom that if I didn't get the 815 map that I was either going to return the unit since I was still in my 30 day period and go for another brand, or that I would return the 720, and buy another one immediately so that I could get LMG. I also said that when I got the new unit, I sure as heck would be creating a new account for it.

9 minutes later I get an email response stating that the new 815 map has been added to my account and is ready to download.

I of course did thank them a billion times for the favor. In reality the terms of LMG does state that you are entitled to only 1 free download, but once you are in the position where you JUST downloaded a new map, and a newer one comes out, you'll be pretty upset, knowing that if you had waited closer to the 30 day mark, you'll get that very new map.

Me likes TomTom :)

Installed 8.3 and it slowed everything down to a crawl. Going back to previous version and will wait until it is fixed.

I just added a speed limit to my neighborhood, and I entered in 30 MPH, and after I go to test it, it's now 31 MPH when before the update, it used to show 29 MPH. So TomTom replaced a bad algorithm with another bad algorithm. Almost there TomTom!!!

Ask a Question