8.3 Upgrade offered for x20 and x30 units

Here is something else I noticed with this new Navcore.
When I have the lineout audio in my car playing music or instructions, I control the volume now with my car's volume only. If I try to adjust the volume on the TomTom, it gives me a message telling me to adjust it with my car.

I got my 920 less than a month ago and already updated to the 810 maps. Since the unit is less than a month old I should still be eligable for the new 815 maps correct?

You're only eligible for one free map upgrade unless you have a special 1-year certificate in the box. If you already used it for the 810 upgrade, I don't think you can use it again for the 815 map.

You're only eligible for one free map upgrade unless you have a special 1-year certificate in the box. If you already used it for the 810 upgrade, I don't think you can use it again for the 815 map.

Unless you speak out your mind like I did yesterday.

I had already used my LMG for 810, but tech support still gave me 815. I wasn't very happy that only 13 days later after downloading my new map, a newer one had come out.

The one thing thats really urking me is how much slower the tomtom is with this new update. Touching buttons it responds so much slower, and the voice actually gets choppy and lags when guiding.

I forgot to backup before i applied the update, but i do have a backup from earlier. If i restore back to the earlier point do i lose all my voices, saveds favorites etc? Or does it just replace the application firmware?

Also one thing i didnt see mentioned as a new feature is when you goto manage favorites and select a favorite it actually shows you the destination on the map and the address of it, not just the name of the favorite, which is useless. I would hate to downgrade because this is a very useful improvement.

I also noticed that in the preferences it used to say SHOW LANE CHANGES, now it says HIDE LANE CHANGES. But the Lane images still dont show.

Last edited:
The lost functionality of the compass in N7 has pretty much returned in that you can now select 'direction' to be on the status bar and it'll show the direction in letters (NW, N, etc.) and degrees under the satellite bars.
When I checked it, feed back came that I had too many options on the status bar.
Will have to give it a try on a longer drive to see if I want it and which of the time/mileage options I could sacrifice for it.

Unless you speak out your mind like I did yesterday.

I had already used my LMG for 810, but tech support still gave me 815. I wasn't very happy that only 13 days later after downloading my new map, a newer one had come out.
That's what I did, I actually updated to 810 maps using LMG on 11/7 yes last Friday and called last night. Right off the bat I told them I wasn't sure if they could do it, but if they didn't I would return the unit and buy another. The rep was more than happy to get me my 815 maps (although he didn't get my WCE maps I had to call back this morning for those).

Tomplayer, Itnreverse, Fuel control, none of them work.
They went back to the first screen. I reloaded them from back up into the SDfile no help.. I have reload the 8.01 back for now. Everthing is now working like it was.:mad:
Read on another list that most add-ons were working again after a
(shudder) Rest factory settings; Preference 8 of 8 screen.

The one thing thats really urking me is how much slower the tomtom is with this new update. Touching buttons it responds so much slower, and the voice actually gets choppy and lags when guiding.

I forgot to backup before i applied the update, but i do have a backup from earlier. If i restore back to the earlier point do i lose all my voices, saveds favorites etc? Or does it just replace the application firmware?

Also one thing i didnt see mentioned as a new feature is when you goto manage favorites and select a favorite it actually shows you the destination on the map and the address of it, not just the name of the favorite, which is useless. I would hate to downgrade because this is a very useful improvement.

I also noticed that in the preferences it used to say SHOW LANE CHANGES, now it says HIDE LANE CHANGES. But the Lane images still dont show.

I completely agree. Although bootup seems faster for me, the device overall is just slower. The buttons don't click in an instant. You can see the tiny delay between "tap" and execution. More ram is being used up than before as well. I have yet to drive and test out the voice guidance, but another member here said that after the 8.3 upgrade, their computer voice stutters like crazy, and this doesn't happen during demo, only during real driving.

When I checked it, feed back came that I had too many options on the status bar.
Will have to give it a try on a longer drive to see if I want it and which of the time/mileage options I could sacrifice for it.

I had the same problem. Chose to remove 'remaining time'. After all, it'll still display current time and time of arrival. You just gotta do a little mental math .... :D

Soooo... (never having used it, myself) what exactly gets Reset, when that ominous button is pressed? :confused:

Pretty much everything: language choice, home location, time, etc. Also, all favourites and recent destinations are lost.

Here's an explanation I just saw on the UK forum for the loss of the fm transmission. It won't be very palatable, I'm afraid. It's from Andy_P:
"apparently it is due to some obscure EU rule about *not* having intermittant FM transmissions.
Seems daft to me. VERY glad I got a Bluetooth car radio now."
Corroborated from info on the German site.

Computer vioces have stopped

My computer voices have stopped. If I go to home it says they are on computer,if I look at them on explorer they are in the directory.
I have removed them using home and reinstalled them using home.
When I go to pick a voice on the unit the only voices available are the normal one,not Dave, Susan, etc
Doing a search someone said something about Dave in a folder, there are no sub folders of LouquendoTTS in my TT.

Can anyone help me out of this mess??

What firmware do you have? Unit model? Map version?

Have you gone to Home and chosen: Add Voices/Maps and THEN arrow right 2 screens to computer voices. Choose that and see what's offered. Select one and choose 'install'.

You may need a pin reset after you undock from the computer PROPERLY.

Right after posting this I found a missing BIN folder and it is all working great ..
Thanks for your quick response....

Pretty much everything: language choice, home location, time, etc. Also, all favourites and recent destinations are lost.
Well, voices & favorites at least are backed up via Explorer. And not too long ago, I dumped the Recent Destinations (last map upgrade, I think?).

What about custom map changes & user-added POI? Are they dumped as well?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth the hassle to regain those 3rd party apps... :confused:
Thanks,

R?

This is one of those times when you wish you have another tomtom930 to play with this new 8.3. And leave the original tomtom930-with all its perfectly running apps and settings and tweaks intact.

Another option of course is to wait until someone in the forum gives the 'all-clear' signal on the 8.3 application. :) As it is now looks like we are still in testing stage.

My GO 920 downloaded updates for my North America and Europe maps, and now the damned thing won't read them. Any way I can download this 8.3 firmware for a possible fix? The HOME software says the maps and data are all on my unit.

I spent 4 hours on the phone with customer service to no avail. Help is appreciated.

Ask a Question