8.3 Upgrade offered for x20 and x30 units

8.3 upgrade

Finally went on the phone to TT and got a great response. Tech was with me for an hour and found that a file downloaded to SD card was causing the problem. Took out the card and it corrected. I'll now stay with the old 7.481.

I haven't read through this thread yet, but was writting all my observations on a different thread.. I'll just copy them here and will update as I see other changes, and will avoid duplicating what others have said.

Didn't know there was an update till I saw this post. I just now updated to 8.3 and my computer voices work just fine. I love the new voice selection screen. Now you dont have to constantly "tap tap tap tap tap tap tap" one voice at a time to get to the voice you want. Gonna test out the POI search right now in the next few seconds.. I'll post back.

Edit : Well at least they upped the amount "search POI's" to 48, which is an improvement from 24. I also noticed they changed icons too.

LOL I guess my complaint (plus many other users complaints) about the POI limit sank in. I was pretty firm (I'm sure other users were as well) on the POI limit of 24 being a nasty issue. They really did mean it when they said my suggestion would be or "may be" considered in the next update.

Now to test "Operate my GO" I'll post back.

Edit again : Operate my GO works perfectly fine now. No more resetting of voices.

Edit : Now to test TomPlayer

Update on TomPlayer: IT DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! First time I clicked on TomPlayer, the TT froze and rebooted. The second time through the 37th time, it just jumps back to the main menu. Nooooooooooooo! :( I'll try reinstalling it again later.

Another observation : It seems that it no longer shows you the name of the street where you are supposed to turn to next, on the bottom of the screen. Now they moved it to the top right of the screen, which I guess is better since it now shows a bit more of the map. The status bar is now dead on the bottom of the screen, instead of the street name where you turn next.

Another observation : WHAT THE HECK? I CAN'T PLAY INSTRUCTIONS THROUGH THE FM TRANSMITTER ANYMORE?!?!??!

lkfdjlfdsjflksdk : SIM card folder on my 720 now... Guess that was meant for the x40's and they just left the folder there. LAZYYYY!

hdfkjfhdskjfsd : Neat! IQ routes will finally be available for time of day instead of just weekday or weekend, downside is, you will need Map 8.15 to have the newer IQ routing! :( Does that mean I will have to fork out over $130 as soon as that map comes out? Ehh I'll pass. When the heck are they coming out with the map subscriptions for North America!!??!?

Last edited:
I also have the SIM card folder on my 930.

maybe there is some future hope of the LIVE services on models other than the x40's.

Another observation : It seems that it no longer shows you the name of the street where you are supposed to turn to next, on the bottom of the screen. Now they moved it to the top right of the screen, which I guess is better since it now shows a bit more of the map. The status bar is now dead on the bottom of the screen, instead of the street name where you turn next.

Another observation : WHAT THE HECK? I CAN'T PLAY INSTRUCTIONS THROUGH THE FM TRANSMITTER ANYMORE?!?!??!
Check under "Sound Preferences." I saw a couple of screens for Play Instructions & Play Music locations, with options for FM Transmitter, Audio Cable, or TomTom speaker.

Also, it may have reset your Status Bar's "bottom of screen" settings. Check the prefs here, too.

I had to reset my Quick Menu, both Voices, a couple of warning alert choices, an so on.

My Nav8 compass is still broken, tho.

Well, yes and no........

The compass is still the little icon pointing North only BUT as I said earlier, you can regain the direction you are going by selecting 'direction' on the status bar (you still can't have all choices selected there, one has to go).

When you select direction, you now see the direction you are travelling in both letters (N, NW, etc.) and degrees. This info appears under the satellite bars when the status bar is horizontal and above them when the bar is vertical.

Also, when doing a demo...at the end of it (I picked to show the demo at > 300% which prevents the computer voice) when I stopped it, I still heard 'Susie' say "Arrival time at 8:38. There is no faster route".

Pretty cool :cool:

Am merging this thread so all discussion about 8.3 can be kept in one thread.

Last edited:
Nokia, Navtec, and CU Berkeley are rolling out a "Live" free trial in the SF bay area. It only works with ATT and T-Mobile devices, and only some devices. It will use cell phone data as the source of traffic.

Trying to set it up on my Pearl. It is working and shows traffic even on some "local' roads including incidents.

This is the kind of thing that will put pressure on stand-alone devices like TomTom. If they don't participate, they risk getting buried.

Well, yes and no........

The compass is still the little icon pointing North only BUT as I said earlier, you can regain the direction you are going by selecting 'direction' on the status bar (you still can't have all choices selected there, one has to go).

When you select direction, you now see the direction you are travelling in both letters (N, NW, etc.) and degrees. This info appears under the satellite bars when the status bar is horizontal and above them when the bar is vertical
Yeah, I saw that tonight. Without changing my status bar settings, the heading appeared next to the degrees. The Bar, itself, looks different. Can't quite say what tho--the size or font, maybe?

Oh, and I retract what I said above, about the bottom of the Status Bar. It wasn't until I set a route that I saw what Sage meant. Looks like all the 'next street' names are now at the top. :confused:

Yeah, I saw that tonight. Without changing my status bar settings, the heading appeared next to the degrees. The Bar, itself, looks different. Can't quite say what tho--the size or font, maybe?

Oh, and I retract what I said above, about the bottom of the Status Bar. It wasn't until I set a route that I saw what Sage meant. Looks like all the 'next street' names are now at the top. :confused:

The heading was always there in the status bar if you had it enabled... Unless you guys are talking about something else.. I'm confusedddd :(

Check under "Sound Preferences." I saw a couple of screens for Play Instructions & Play Music locations, with options for FM Transmitter, Audio Cable, or TomTom speaker.

Also, it may have reset your Status Bar's "bottom of screen" settings. Check the prefs here, too.

I had to reset my Quick Menu, both Voices, a couple of warning alert choices, an so on.

My sound preferences doesn't have FM transmitter for playing instructions, only music.

P5160058.jpg

P5160059.jpg

Last edited:
Well:

• Support for > 4 gig sdhc cards
  • Compass direction back
  • Scrolling a poi shows 48 items, not 24
  • Easier selection of voices
  • Some with RDS antennas report better traffic reception
  • Additional planning preferences

...and other improvements

Update on TomPlayer: IT DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! First time I clicked on TomPlayer, the TT froze and rebooted. The second time through the 37th time, it just jumps back to the main menu. Nooooooooooooo! :( I'll try reinstalling it again later.

Please report back on this. That's a showstopper bug... my daughter will throw a typical toddler tantrum if I don't play her kiddie music.

There's always the built in mp3 player, I suppose.:eek:

The problem with firmware upgrades is that 3rd party software is more and more difficult to run. The upgrade to 8.010 killed off custom menus for many.

Seems as if TomTom wants the complete playing field to itself ...:rolleyes:

Please report back on this. That's a showstopper bug... my daughter will throw a typical toddler tantrum if I don't play her kiddie music.

You use tomplayer as well? I use it for videos... or... USED TO... I'll try reinstalling later tonight. I'm so friggin tired at the moment..

And still, WHY DID THEY DISABLE FM TRANSMITTER FOR INSTRUCTIONS!??! Another feature I used to use!

Last edited:
There's always the built in mp3 player, I suppose.:eek:

The problem with firmware upgrades is that 3rd party software is more and more difficult to run. The upgrade to 8.010 killed off custom menus for many.

Seems as if TomTom wants the complete playing field to itself ...:rolleyes:

As you know, I'm a software guy. It's hard to keep an API stable enough to satisfy the ecosystem while still introducing features to satisfy the customers. Minor breakage is a fact of life whenever you depend on someone else's software, even when you are building on top of a stable API spec (different interpretations of the spec are particularly common). The 3rd party software developers will have to catch up again, but they expect that to a certain degree.

Anyhow; I was thinking TomPlayer *was* the mp3 player; now that I realize it's an add-in, no biggie. I'll start my backup right now.

As you know, I'm a software guy. It's hard to keep an API stable enough to satisfy the ecosystem while still introducing features to satisfy the customers. Minor breakage is a fact of life whenever you depend on someone else's software, even when you are building on top of a stable API spec (different interpretations of the spec are particularly common). The 3rd party software developers will have to catch up again, but they expect that to a certain degree.

Anyhow; I was thinking TomPlayer *was* the mp3 player; now that I realize it's an add-in, no biggie. I'll start my backup right now.

I test software for a living. If our s/w developers got things right the first time, I'd be out of a job! :)

Tomplayer, Itnreverse, Fuel control, none of them work.
They went back to the first screen. I reloaded them from back up into the SDfile no help.. I have reload the 8.01 back for now. Everthing is now working like it was.:mad:

I test software for a living. If our s/w developers got things right the first time, I'd be out of a job! :)

Mr.Software tester, would you please be kind enough to do me a quick favor by testing TomTom's "feature filled" software by seeing if you are able to play INSTRUCTIONS through your FM transmitter pretty please with a cherry on top? :p Me love you long time dhn!

Can anyone else please also try? Me love you long time too! :)

And why do people keep saying you can now see your heading? That was always there! Again, I could be mistaking what I'm seeing, but I swear it shows me the degrees plus heading... Here's an old pic I took last month. Again I could be really dumb and might not be understanding you guys, but here's a pic..

P1010146-1.jpg

And here's a youtube video of when I took my ONE XL on an airplane. It shows heading as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhGq7PevBD8

Last edited:
If you have Next street as a status bar option, the name is no longer displayed below the horizontal status bar, rather it displays in the upper right.

Ask a Question