8.3 Upgrade offered for x20 and x30 units

dhn

TomTom Model(s)
Go 50; Go 520
A new firmware 8.3 is being offered to x20 users in the UK this morning. It seems to replace a 8.2 firmware version that was meant only for x40 models there (not available in NA) but, somehow, got in the hands of x20 and x30 users there with some negative results.

If this same firmware is offered here in North America, I'd suggest not even considering dl and implementing it unless you have a full Explorer backup of your unit's contents prior to doing the dl of 8.3

I do not know any information about changed functionality in 8.3 over the current 8.010 at this time.

-------------------------

Apparently, 8.3 offers what is referred to in the UK as IQv2 routing where it takes into consideration not only the day of the week but the TIME of the day as well......The catch is that this works only for v8.15 maps or higher but, at this point, there is NO 8.15 map, only 8.10.

Also, handling of 8 gig sdhc cards and larger is now supposedly implemented in 8.3 (up from 4 gigs).

Last edited:
@ dhn....you may want to change the thead title ( UK )

As I live here in the USA....and am being offered the 8.300 navcore.

PSJ aka Marc

Ok - here we go again. Don't think I want to be an early adopter this time after the trouble I had with the first release of 8.01.

As forum members install it - please post any problems and new features - if any.

I made a mistake by upgrading my 720 with 8.3 when it asked. Now I can't get the computer voice activated. I've deleted and reinstalled the voices but it still refuses to talk. Most of the other voices are silent also. Any help would be appreciated.

I made a mistake by upgrading my 720 with 8.3 when it asked. Now I can't get the computer voice activated. I've deleted and reinstalled the voices but it still refuses to talk. Most of the other voices are silent also. Any help would be appreciated.

Try restoring to an earlier firmware from a backup.

Thread title changed.

edit
I've noticed a changed with the new Navcore.
There are more options under planning preferences.
Also, the vertical view is different.

Last edited:

Before rolling back to the earlier application, go to TT Home and see if it will download the voices you are looking for. They may have downloads that will work on the new app. (although that would be a big leap for TT - as they have a habit of launching thing that are often not integrated with their other features).

PS - welcome to the land of the early adopters....

I Have installed it, so far nothing negative. I did find it pickup sat quicker when inside house.

I think it might recognize time zone,, Not sure on this?? It was just that after I installed the new app the time was off by 4 hrs. but when it picked up the sat the correct time was shown without me correcting it.

There is a new button that you can add to you screen for map share corrections if you prefer.

The voice selection is a mutable choice screen, rather that one at a time,,, very nice IMO.

I am sure there is more this was just a few I found.

One thing I did notice is that this app is a fair bit larger than 8.10

So far so good

I Have installed it, so far nothing negative. I did find it pickup sat quicker when inside house.

I think it might recognize time zone,, Not sure on this?? It was just that after I installed the new app the time was off by 4 hrs. but when it picked up the sat the correct time was shown without me correcting it.

There is a new button that you can add to you screen for map share corrections if you prefer.

The voice selection is a mutable choice screen, rather that one at a time,,, very nice IMO.

I am sure there is more this was just a few I found.

One thing I did notice is that this app is a fair bit larger than 8.10

So far so good

changes I noticed so far.

weather....wind speed has changed....no more Beaufort scale.

fuel prices....some icons are a little different.

battery savings....no more turn off screen....now is just dim screen.

Everything is working fine ( so far ).

changes I noticed so far.

weather....wind speed has changed....no more Beaufort scale.

fuel prices....some icons are a little different.

battery savings....no more turn off screen....now is just dim screen.

Everything is working fine ( so far ).

I will be interested to hear how stable it is compared to your 8.002 app. (I tried installing that one on my 920 earlier, but kept on getting warnings while in Home that "application not supported" so went back to 8.001).

I am downloading 8.3 it right now...

I will be interested to hear how stable it is compared to your 8.002 app. (I tried installing that one on my 920 earlier, but kept on getting warnings while in Home that "application not supported" so went back to 8.001).

I am downloading 8.3 it right now...

My 930 had trouble with every navcore other than the original 8.002....always started up by itself.

So far....this 8.300 is working great....when I shut it off....it stays off !:D

Just found a new/old feature - and welcome back !

I used to be able to access traffic, weather, etc. on my 910 while operating my computer. That disappeared with my 920 and 8.001 (and 8.002 and 8.005 beta), but it is back. Noticed it right away when i first selected a route in operate my device in Home - traffic was on the right side just as when undocked and active.

I had used this to plan a trip just before leaving and was able to see traffic and play with alternative routes through Home on the computer - much easier and faster then when sitting in the driveway.

So far after a few cycles of on and off - it seems stable so far. Plus, my computer voice and last active route were still there after disconnecting from Home. These had been getting reset with 8.001 - so it looks like they fixed that one too.

Yes, >8gb SD Cards are now supported. Previously, Home (& Windows) couldn't read or recognize my 16gb card and I had to use a thumb-drive reader to write to it. Now home pops up "Select device" whenever I dock & the extra drive in Explorer is accessible while it's IN the GPS.

This is good, since I never did get around to formatting it as a 4GB in the TomTom, then re-formatting it as 16gb in Windows. We can now buy & use these larger SD's out-of-the-box! :)

Hrmm... the icons are different. Instead of just squares, they now have pointers beneath them.

And when you browse the map, the blue selection cilcle homes in on the arrow's "point" instead of blocking the whole icon.

Last edited:
I only had one computer voice installed prior to the firmware update, my lovely 'Susie' :)

After the firmware update, there was also Lori installed, an English speaking voice but she appears not to be a computer voice.
Sorry, Lori..........Susie would never forgive me if I dumped her; you understand :D

By the way.........if you want to regain some space by deleting useless files, go to the Licence folder and delete all licences and EULA's not in English.

Last edited:
I only had one computer voice installed prior to the firmware update, my lovely 'Susie' :)

After the firmware update, there was also Lori installed, an English speaking voice but her verbal distances are in metric.

Sorry, Lori..........Susie would never forgive me if I dumped her; you understand :D

By the way.........if you want to regain some space by deleting useless files, go to the Licence folder and delete all licences and EULA's not in English.
Yeah, the update re-added a bunch of voices I'd removed to my PC. Plus I had to re-select both my Human Female & Computer voices, upon restart.

There was also a "please wait" hourglass screen, that I don't remember during the update.

Under Planning Preferences, I now have options screens on using Ferries, HOV Lanes, & Unpaved Roads, similar to the ones for Use Toll Roads.

Good tip on those EULA files, too.

Last edited:
AND.............

The lost functionality of the compass in N7 has pretty much returned in that you can now select 'direction' to be on the status bar and it'll show the direction in letters (NW, N, etc.) and degrees under the satellite bars.

Hurray! :D :)

Ask a Question