8.3 Upgrade offered for x20 and x30 units

You can try to see if you can see the contents of the unit using Explorer, without Home running. If you can, delete the loose files in the root of the unit but no folders or their contents. Now, try the update process again.

AND.........

Make sure you disconnect the unit properly from the computer. Use Home's menu option for Device-->Disconnect and DON'T do it when it says it's ok.

Use the 'Safely Remove' icon in your notification area on the computer.

You can try to see if you can see the contents of the unit using Explorer, without Home running. If you can, delete the loose files in the root of the unit but no folders or their contents. Now, try the update process again.

AND.........

Make sure you disconnect the unit properly from the computer. Use Home's menu option for Device-->Disconnect and DON'T do it when it says it's ok.

Use the 'Safely Remove' icon in your notification area on the computer.

I can see the contents fine thru Explorer. I should delete all of the loose files at the root? I do see a number of files named data*.chk. It's also possible I disconnected the unit from the computer after the 8.3 download too soon, so may have some corrupted files other than those recovered file fragements.

They aren't recovered file fragments. Windows thinks they are. But the software runs under Linux and those files are completely different and necessary.

But, yes, IF you have a backup, then delete the files (loose only, no folders) and try the update again. And detach the unit properly.

Report back.

They aren't recovered file fragments. Windows thinks they are. But the software runs under Linux and those files are completely different and necessary.

But, yes, IF you have a backup, then delete the files (loose only, no folders) and try the update again. And detach the unit properly.

Report back.

I'm getting there. Deleted the files but the "Restore" from TomTomHome didn't work, so I copied the root files from my backup and at least now the unit is back up and running. The US maps are now missing but I should be able to re-install. Thanks for the help.

Upgraded to new app

:mad: Upgraded yesterday. I can no longer set the instructions to play over the FM radio. I usually have my iPod connected and listen to music through car radio via the built in FM transmitter and get the driving instructions through the car radio. Now I get the instructions on the crappy built-in speaker. Why would they remove features instead of adding them?

You know, TomTom should take a hint and start including mini dnh's in every TomTom box since TomTom's instructions/directions are poop.

Updated to 8.3 last night and today using the unit noticed 2 things that havent been mentioned yet. I am getting Advanced Lane Directions in places where I wasn't before and a couple of times Susan piped up and told me my arrival time and that a quicker route is not available.

sageuvagony, I loved getting the instructions through the FM transmitter! I guess I'll have to restore from backup!!

I'm guessing you read my posts earlier in the thread where I was furious that they removed Intructions through FM transmitter :)

Yea, I'm bummed out about it.. I do have an external FM transmitter I can use to connect to the line out of the TomTom but I don't really want another wire dangling from the TT.... I think.. Although that Belkin transmitter SURE sounds alot nicer than the TT's ")

I can't revert back to 8.01 because I now have map 815 installed.

In my case, after restore back to 8.010, Susan no longer read the street names. Solution is to put back the check mark on 'read street names aloud'.
This options come up after you setup the computer voice.

8.3 and Tripmaster?

Any word on Tripmaster? Does it work with 8.3? I don't want to do without the altitude display, and other features of Tripmaster and Offroad, so I don't want to risk going to 8.3 unless someone has tried it.
Thanks,
Andy

Yeah, I have the iPod connected and play music through FM transmitter, and get the instructions as well. the speaker just doesn't work for me. I have a Belkin transmitter that I used befor I got the Ipod connect cable. I may have to resort to that if the restore doesn't go well, luckily I haven't upgraded the map yet so I'm going to do a restore back to old app. Hopefully I will have the FM transmitter choice!

Last edited:
So am I reading this right? Some of you are being offered the 815 maps? I just tried connecting mine, and it says I already have the latest, which is showing version 810.1907. Please advise.

Ok, I was using LMG when I checked above. When I go to add items to my device, I see 815. I've had my GO920 for less than a month and they've already released a newer map?? Shouldn't I get this under the LMG?

Last edited:
After installing NavCore v8.3 yesterday and now finding out that TomTom has released new v8.15 North America Maps. Although I am not seeing the new Maps in TomTom home v2.4 so I sent support a copy of my proof of purchase from 2 months ago along with the question as to why LMG says its expired and NA Maps 8.010 is the latest TomTom home is showing me.

Question though the little triangle in the bottom left corner of the map (compass im guessing) is still always wrong. I says im going east when I am clearly going west and points north when I am south. I have read a lot about the compass not working well for others. My 920 came with NavCore v7.4 and 8.010 had came out right when I got my 920 but now its running NavCore v8.3. Anyone else have this issue?

MrChris.......please trust me when I say the compass ONLY points North, no other direction. If you lay your unit flat, you may visualize that better because it can appear confusing.

however, some of the (much better) compass functionality of Navcore 7 can be restored by Preferences-->Status Bar-->Direction. Selecting that will show the direction (and degrees) you are actually heading on your status bar -- below satellites if the sb is horizontal, above satellite bars if sb is vertical.

Any word on Tripmaster? Does it work with 8.3? I don't want to do without the altitude display, and other features of Tripmaster and Offroad, so I don't want to risk going to 8.3 unless someone has tried it.
Thanks,
Andy

Tried it again. upgraded to 8.3 result:

- as per above 'fm transmitter option had been removed for voice instructions'
still exists for music.

- none of my third-party applications worked. Most of these apps I got from
a link in opentom.org

- One apps 'TOPS' -- which displays current processes running in tomtom
makes the screen go blinking with an error 'touch screen failed to open /dev/ts'. Only way to get out of it is through a pin reset.

- The 'manage favorites' is also 'greyed out' from the menu.

I'm going back to the 8.010 (again) for now.

So am I reading this right? Some of you are being offered the 815 maps? I just tried connecting mine, and it says I already have the latest, which is showing version 810.1907. Please advise.

Ok, I was using LMG when I checked above. When I go to add items to my device, I see 815. I've had my GO920 for less than a month and they've already released a newer map?? Shouldn't I get this under the LMG?

Just called TomTom, and they are giving me the LMG for version 815 of the maps. :D Now that's good customer service.

Just called TomTom, and they are giving me the LMG for version 815 of the maps. :D Now that's good customer service.
Ditto, they did it for me as well. I called them last night and they said they were upgrading both my Western/Central Europe and NA maps to 815, I had just upgraded to 810 via LMG on Friday when I received my 920. When I went into TT Home after the call, they had actually only put the 815 NA maps on my account. I called them this morning and I am supposed to have the 815 Western/Central Europe maps now, we'll see when I get home.

This is my first GPS and I have to say TT has earned my business.

The heading was always there in the status bar if you had it enabled... Unless you guys are talking about something else.. I'm confusedddd :(

My sound preferences doesn't have FM transmitter for playing instructions, only music.

P5160058.jpg

P5160059.jpg

I have a suggestion to help you with your screen shots. Appears you are using a digital camera to snap these and they are coming out dark an blurry.

Adding a simple file to your TomTom will allow you to take a screen shot of your TomTom screen by selecting the upper left portion of the screen...a *bmp file will then be saved on your TomTom.

Read my write-up >>> HERE <<<

Ask a Question